Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

I am sorry that I have not got round to writing up some of our adventures over the Christmas and New Year period on Broad Ambition - but having spent 11 nights on here I had to hastily return to London for a night before heading off to Plymouth to meet engineers there.  That said it was a lovely time afloat.

Shiela and I arrived in the Wet Shed late afternoon on 23rd December.  Last year we arrived to find Broad Ambition in a bit of a sorry state internally with a lot of mould and mildew on surfaces and I feared that with all the rain and mild weather this may be the case this year, but not a bit of it.

We dropped off our cases and headed back out to our taxi I had from Norwich waiting for us, to take us into Wroxham. I have to say Goldstar Taxi's do always seem reliable and good value - Norwich Train Station to Stalham, waiting time then into Wroxham for £31.00.  In Wroxham it was time to hunt down the new electric cards - boatyards that were open had them but were keeping them for their own hirers, try Norfolk Marine I was told and so duly arrived to find they had some and we bought ten. I then spent another 20 minutes looking over things and being lead out by Shiela "we need to get food shopping Rob not fenders for Indy".

So we duly went to Roys and ended up with a trolley full of all sorts from Mince Pies to Pepper. They had some helpers on the tills to pack bags and the lady who was at ours was a fellow Londoner visiting her parents nearby and had got roped into with her younger sister to help out and was fun comparing Wroxham to London - even the packing of bags here was a low pressure affair.

So time to get back to the Boat - Wroxham Taxi's had nothing, Horning Taxi's the same Stalham Taxi's could get to us in 40 minutes - I accepted, and we went to McDonalds to kill time and right on schedule the chap arrived. Shame the car smelt of stale smoke but any port in a storm we were back at the wet shed and getting our shopping stowed.  Our plan now was to sit tight and head out on the water tomorrow morning, this evening we would take a walk into Stalham to the Swan and have a few drinks - and very nice it was too.

Christmas Eve arrived and it was out the wetshed and into some mayhem. Yep Richardson's fleet is everywhere with a small chicane of open water to go through between bows and sterns. But because the wet shed has some new arrivals it makes getting Broad Ambition out very much harder than in the past, indeed we have to exit astern now and I had to turn, avoiding the two fishermen in their dinghies and the aforesaid fleet of Richardson's hire boats.

Underway along the deserted River Ant, then over Barton Broad - ahh it was good to be back on the Broads. We were to have our Christmas Day dinner at the Swan in Horning, so it would be ideal if we could get moored in Horning making our walk to the pub so much easier.  We duly arrived to find the Staithe empty! Moored up and plugged into the electric all was well - and then the wind began to build ever more as the evening went on, rain too but this was a proper lazy holiday unless we had to we would be eating out and so it was a walk to the Ferry Inn a Horning. Lucky for us the rain had stopped and to be honest it was a good meal, better than in the past and worth noting they have gone up to a 4 start food hygiene rating so I was happy.

Back to the boat and the not long after the rain set in good and proper for the night - and the wind continued to get ever stronger but we were comfy inside and the usual Christmas telly, drinks and nibbles were on the go.

Come Christmas Day and Father Christmas had come (well Shiela had bought us two matching giant stockings) and yours truly had loaded them up the evening before when she had gone to bed - so now it was time to get opening the pressies and my new love is Alexa (Amazon Echo). Later we got ready and headed to the Swan for our Christmas Day dinner and I had high expectations based on last year, but they shattered when we walked in and there were people leaving unhappy, then another party - we were kept waiting and waiting and 55 minutes after arriving were shown to a table, devoid of any festive charm such as Crackers - these hurriedly plonked on it sometime later.

I won't go into every detail but suffice to say we arrived at 3:45pm and at 7:15pm were had just got our desert. One waitress had a break down and had to be comforted by an elderly couple, the Chef was shouting and people were all very unhappy. It turned out the manger, a Chef and a member of staff had all been asked to rush to another pub to help and left the Swan in disarray. I was offered the drinks on the house, but honestly I and many others there I think will need a lot to gain trust and risk such again for such a special occasion to be spent there - having emailed twice to Vintage Inns I still have had no real response. I heard good things about the Ferry Inn's Christmas Lunch though.

Back on the boat and we settled in for another evening, and at this point things began to get into the routine where we did very little, cruised relatively short distances and generally were very lazy but why not.  We were surprised at how many boats were out from Broads Boating Co. at Acle and Faircraft Loynes coupled with privateers either out for a cruise for the day or staying out over the Christmas period.

Boxing Day saw us depart Horning and head down the Bure to Acle - where we duly moored outside the Bridge Inn and this would be our base as it turned out for another two nights. But with good food and drink and a real warm local friendly place to spend time it was fine by us. The Bridge Inn really had laid on the festive charm and the real open fire in the bar area was great - although on limited opening hours, they really were busy with visiting locals which made for a nice vibrant atmosphere, sadly Phil was not about but in Glasgow meeting old friends and attending wedding so I missed catching up with him this time around.

Come the following day and we had decided to head to Ranworth, but the wind over night which was bad enough was now just plain stupid strong. Once the tide turned we had the wind almost on our bow with the ever rising water coming up the Bure and no word of a lie the well and waves rolling in along this stretch were something else. Over on Facebook posts were coming in from Ranworth - there it was less bad but the waves were hitting the Staithe quay heading and over topping it, new from Potter Heigham was no better with photos of boat canopies being liberated from their fastenings and generally rough old conditions.  I spent a lot of time outside getting soaked with near horizontal rain adding fenders, lines and generally ensuring we were secure and safe in what is a pretty exposed mooring.  By early evening the wind had dropped some but it was far from being over.

In fact the wind direction changed and we had a new issue - rain water was now finding its way into any crevice and crack it could - and a seam between the wood panels on the sides of the boat was weeping water too into Shiela's cabin. I am pleased I bought some Vaseline and duct tape to seal up small areas around the wheelhouse and said seam and keep the tree, and cabin dry.

The following morning (27th December) and it was all over, as if there had never been any high winds and rain and so we left, and duly cruised to Ranworth and by the time we arrived we had the entire Staithe to ourselves. Bright blue skies, still waters and chill in the air - it was the perfect winter scene.  Shiela and I decided to do something different and got a Taxi from the Staithe to Wroxham (Wroxham Taxi's £15.00) where we then got the bus into Norwich.  Having been on the water and not moving too far the hustle and bustle of the city was a bit of a shock to the system but we visited the usual places and got some reduced bits here and there and then headed for lunch at Zizzi. This duly had it was time to grab a few essentials to take back to the boat and get a Taxi back to Ranworth (Courtesy Taxi's £19.00) and when we pulled into the Staithe  parking area were shocked to find how many boats had turned up. From the odd hire boat to continuous cruisers and people who had just come for the day at the pub and were now headed back - so many had their festive lights on it really was a nice sight, and later in the evening Shiela and I headed into the Maltsters for a few drinks where I found Little Sharpie a very easy drinking Ale that went down nicely.

Tonight was a cold one - clear skies outside but we supplemented out heating with a fan heater despite being just below freezing outside inside we were cosy as could be and so settled into what was now becoming a rather nice existence of day time exploration, early evening drinking and night time feet up not a care in the world type living.

We awoke on 28th December to a different scene - gone was the clear skies and grey gloom had set in, the wind had got up again, nothing too strong but none the less a constant stiff breeze and rain - yes more of the stuff was falling from the sky.  I was aware that we had had the heating running more on than off and certainly over the previous evenings overnight too, with our usual places for fuel and pump out's closed until after we were headed back to London, I used the opportunity of Boulters being open for a few hours to head to Horning. We duly called to confirm their could accept us and set off.

Now this is no easy manoeuvre getting into their basin and we did such stern on first because we had a rather strong wind wanting to blow us away from Boulters and towards berthed boats.  In the rain Shiela was outside ready to fend off and giving me instructions on how far away from quay headings I was and so I was just a little miffed when Sonny could have taken our bow line from Shiela but did not and stood watching then did lend us a hand but called to me "still learning then" - I took it on the chin, we topped up with 44 litres of fuel and a pump-out and Silver Cloud a syndicate boat had arrived during our servicing (they have a bow thruster) and when we came to leave, Dave duly filming us. I must have learnt a lot in that short time as we left, turned and headed down the dyke despite the wind perfectly - and so we cruised back to where we had come from, Ranworth.

Once tied up it was time to go meet face to face a chap that has got his fair share of judgment and on the Interwebs and who I also have only known through his videos - Miles Weston. Well turns out he is a very easy to get along with person and having got him a four pack of Strongbow and having a natter find a lot of his views might not be that of the majority but I respect him for putting his head over the parapet and stating them in the public realm not behind a keyboard.

Back to the boat, collect Shiela and on to the pub - disaster - they don't serve food. Now last year they did but no this year it was only done till 3:30pm, so with no food on the boat to talk of what would we do? Well back on the phone to Wroxham Taxi's - to Horning I said, are you absolutely sure you want that asked the chap? It is not far but will cost you a fair bit - yes I said and so we were duly rescued and had another nice meal at the Ferry Inn and were duly collected on time and taken back to Ranworth (return trip cost £40.00). It was then back into the Maltsters were Miles was to be found at the bar and a few other locals too.  Shiela and I had a mini-domestic over Apple Pay needing to have your finger print verify the payment, she said it did not as could pay with her Apple Watch which had no finger print reader but I was right, she could not get my phone to make a payment unless I was there to verify my fingerprint - she lost,  was annoyed and it must have seemed to those in the pub all hell was breaking out lol because when she is frustrated people know about it.

Later on we came back to the pub where Shiela was in her Pyjama's - it did happen though I don't have a photo of it sadly. I should explain we were cosy there on the boat and needed the loo, so why not use the shore side ones I said? So we duly set off but she just put on a coat over her PJ's. She got a fright in the dark in the loo (not lit at night) so I said well lets go to the pub for a night cap - and so it was that Shiela ordered two drinks at the Maltsters in her slippers and PJ's - but somehow, in Norfolk, at Christmas that just seemed perfectly acceptable.

You will forgive me if I forget what happened between the 29th and 30th December, I think by now all this pub visiting and drinking had got the better of me but I know that come 30th December we were back at Ranworth and meeting my, Mum and husband Simon who would join Shiela and I for a few days and see in the New Year.  Having got them safely onboard we left Ranworth Staithe and cruised to Horning, where we found space at the Staithe once more. Water levels were very high and my Mum was not happy with our arrangements for getting on and off Broad Ambition for the older generation, she was all for getting a folding step ladder but I said I recon a certain Yorkshire man could make up a nice stable pair of steps in a good varnished wood to bring along with us when we knew the less able visitor was due to be onboard and help in their getting on and off.  I thought Simon (12 years my mother's junior) might be the man to help, but no he had a bad back too so it was down to be to lift my old dear on and off while Shiela made sure the boat was snug to the quay.

We had a great catch up since my mum has retired now and moved away from the London area so not seeing her as often as once did, and what with all the work and going to and from Plymouth we have not had much chance to be together.  Later that evening it was a walk back to...Yep the Ferry Inn lol - by now the staff were on first name terms with us. Another well priced belt busting meal and I was ready for being put in a Barrow and taken back to the boat, but no I had to walk. Simon being around now was a bad influence as we had moved from Pints to Spirits and this continued once we were onboard although we did have some grapes and cheese to soak up the alcohol, it is safe to say I slept very well that evening.

New Years Eve and we departed Horning - for a relatively short cruise to Acle, where we would be spending the evening and a formal meal and music to see the New Year in later. Claire, Andrew, Simon and Sonia (and Dylan) later joined us on their respective boats and we settled in for what a really lovely meal.  They had moved tables about, all white table clothes, balloons, party packs and a really very well prepared 5 course meal.  You never can be too safe from a certain Mr Griffin mind you as a waitress came over and said our first round of drinks had been bought by said Yorkshireman.  What a star! I We duly sent a thank you video to him.  

The problem was the fireworks - they were meant to all go off, but only one box did (rain got the better of them) but it was great to see the staff let their hair down (literally) once the DJ got going and Vanessa was on top form Facetiming Phil showing him what he was missing out on, and it has to be one of the best New Years I have had and to then go back to the boat, and carry on the party and drinking - well it was gone 3:00am when we settled into our berths.

New Years Day and Shiela had to depart us for London - work to start the following day, so Taxi duly booked she was collected and then it was just Simon, myself and my Mum - we cruised in company from the Bridge Inn with Claire, Andrew, Simon and Sonia on their boats - they headed up the Ant and home and as for us? Well naturally back to Ranworth and Maltsters. We took a walk up to the Church and to the top of the tower where we saw the flotilla of boats coming in on their New Years Day Pub Cruise (I like the sound of that) and then I duly had a nose bleed - not had one for years - back down to sea level lol and prayers said it was back to be sinful at the pub.

They were doing food - but had little left on Menu - not to worry we got what we wanted and it was good too, met Rod who owns a boat that moors almost opposite us in the wet shed who had a few words of advice about bringing Independence to Norfolk since he is a Pilot on the Thames and previously captained some pretty large stuff so knows a thing of two about offshore boating. Back to the boat and we were all pretty drained and I think it must have been about 8:00pm and we were off to our berths.

2nd January and we departed Ranworth headed up to Sutton Staithe - this was because we could have stayed out longer but I had a call from the boatyard in Plymouth wanting to meet me and see what was what on Independence so I would have to get Broad Ambition back to the wetshed, come to London and the next day head to Plymouth - no rest for me then! But back in the present, the water was very high - when we approached Ludham I had Simon outside to give me a better understanding of what space we had under the bridge. The gauge showed 7ft 3" (we have an air draft of 7ft 7" with windscreen up) he said we could do it, and we all breathed in and sure enough we did with 2" spare but damn sight easier than lowering the sides, windscreen and canopy it was also experience that kept up dead centre as the walkways were well under water.

Now I had heard about this storm 'Eleanor' but it would not affect us - I was more worried about the south west and Independence so had not been keeping quite the eye I should on the local weather.  Having moored up we headed to the Sutton Staithe Hotel.  Now this is under another owner/management and - well you'd never know it when you walked in but please, do not let that put you off or cloud your judgment.  The Carvery is returning in January, and the menu has changed and we all ate there that evening and the food was really very good - far better than the last time I was there, so I think it is a case of slowly slowly does it as to progress.

To be honest having got there about 3:30pm, it was gone 8:00pm when we eventually left and the wind had got up.  Simon is then telling me about various weather warnings and so on, gusts of 70MPH down on the Cornish coast already and Norfolk would have its fair share too. I checked the lines and by about 10:00pm was in bed. At about 1:30am I was wide awake - what on the hell was going on outside!

From there on until getting on for 6:00am I was up and doing ever more things to keep us and the boat safe. First was to deploy a small lightweight fender that I tied on and had flat floating on the water to protect the portside waterline from the quay - which was only a few inches above water.  Waves coming up from the Sutton Broad were crashing into Broad Ambitions transom with such force the spray came in to our aft well.  The mast was all over the place so that was lowered, but still the wind grew stronger. Small branches were now coming down from the trees, large Reed 'islands' were finding their way up having been liberated from the side of the Broad and our canopy was doing it's level best at parting company with the sash side windows.  You see it has a combination press stud fasteners and Velcro to hold it down but the air pressure was lifting the entire side batten that has the felt part of Velcro on it (and which we lift out when taking down the canopy for low bridges etc) so I had to use zip-ties to attach to this and sash side handles to keep it in place.

I can honestly say it was the strongest winds I have ever encountered on the river and the gusts in the early hours around 3:30am were really at the worst. Still, we got through it ok with no damage to the boat whatsoever. By the time we needed to head back to the wet shed the wind had eased but we had the issue of the boat pointing the wrong way. I briefed Simon and my mum on what we would do - take the boat by hand on the ropes to the end of the moorings, this being away from other boats, and a wider point. Then I would take two bow ropes to the shore and a fender and Simon would use this as I let go of the stern to fend off the boat, and pay out line as the wind brought her stern around and thus with a bit of engine assistance turn the boat in her own length. It went perfectly and once we were pointing bow into the waves and wind on the Broad it was an easy departure and a short time later back to base.  

Only it was not that simple because as we came into Richardson's a boat was adrift and there were some staff making fast ropes on some others, a real chicane to get around and then I noticed the water was so high one could not see the broken down quay heading either side of the wet shed entrance. Mast down just to get in the shed - back in our berth we could all relax and begin our through clean up of the boat and make her ready for the next outing.

I had spent 11 nights onboard, the longest I have so far been on Broad Ambition, it was also the longest Shiela had been on the water but we both loved it and Broad Ambition has shown what a comfortable, cosy, warm and safe boat she is. I did not do any Blog, because this was our holiday but here are a selection of photos from our travels:

128FEE8E-523B-4582-BD3A-41F94CA1F735.jpg

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

Even the older folk prefer phones and Facebook to talking...

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

Tight at Ludham Bridge

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

• Like 15

A great write up , I attempted  to say  a few words to you, as we went past in the rescue boat, while we putting the buoys out on Boxing day morning. But noticed you were away before we  got going with the racing. With the events at the Swan I suppose that is not surprising

Talking of sailing...On the morning of New Years Eve we had been moored at Horning Staithe, we were preparing to head off to Acle – only there was some preparations underway for a sailing race which seemed to have at least two classes.

To begin it all seemed pretty simply, wait for the field to spread out and depart – so we got ready to do just that, but then the larger yachts were doing their thing too and as races tend to do after a few minutes there was an almost continuous line of tacking boats all trying to get the most out of their patch of wind.

Well we continued to wait and wait for any elusive gap big enough to use to leave our mooring. Now a word of advice to anyone at the helm of a boat, when someone tells you something, no matter who they are, or how confidentially they tell you always double check yourself.  I have been looking at our stern and noted there was now a good space to leave the mooring (by going astern as the wind was gently keeping us on the quay) when Simon who was looking at the bow annoyed ‘Ok Rob you’re good to go here’ so I did just that.

I kicked Broad Ambition’s stern out and duly backed away then turned to check the bow to see a sailing boat with the wind behind it headed right for us – “you did not tell me about that one Simon” to which I was met with silence. So raise revs and I am now headed astern passed the Staithe moorings and towards the Swan, so as not to disrupt the sailing boat that was bearing down on us – either their race position or allow them to collude without bow. I then caught up a smaller class of boat and had to steer around them else I would have gone into them with our Transom. Now almost opposite the Swan and on the other side of the river hard over on the helm and finally can engage forward gear and move on.

There were some surprised faces but to my knowledge no harsh words and nobody’s race was cocked up with us being in the middle of it and making them change course or slow. But if we did, I am sorry but blame Simon for telling me to go when we should not have (oh and blame me for not double checking) but it was one of those ‘wish I had the camera’ moments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a times like that you could do with a 360 Degree camera.

In this boxing day photo, The Bigger boats in the race were Yeoman,   that's us with the big bird

Action from Snowflake Sailing Club. Picture: Paddy Wildman

Picture Curtesy of Paddy Wildman..

The little one in this Picture is a Topper,

There were also Lasers, slightly bigger than the Topper but with the international Laser symbol on the normally all white sail.

During the first race we did not do well, and you must have done your manouvers before we got there..

• Like 2

Thanks for the write up Robin. Don’t blame you for not doing a blog...just enjoying and being with family is what it’s all about. Glad you had a good time.

Helen

p.s. Don’t think I’ll be going to The Swan anytime soon! What a disappointment!

Re the Swan, I feel a degree of sorrow all round, customers and staff, but it was not a situation unique to the Swan. The pub companies gleefully take bookings for Christmas, rack up the prices, but forget the most important ingredient,  their staff, people who themselves have families around them at Christmas.  

• Like 4

What amazing photo's of BA in the water at Christmas. Most of us are tucked up warm at home at that time, I think I might one day try this. However looking forward to being down from good old Yorkshire in April on Brinks Serenade for my honeymoon! Keep up the good work guys!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Crewed up Friday evening at around 2330 having stopped off at the Bridge inn en route as was our desire.

Onboard, systems on, all ok.  Mikuni fired up on full tilt then few nightcaps which led to a few more nightcaps, we finished off a bottle of rum and whisky and it was 0200 by the time we turned in.  Left the heating on overnight to warm 'B.A' through which resulted in her being tropical by the morning, and the three of us sweating our gonads off!

Had to do an emergency replenishment of Rum from Tecso's first thing in the morning, can't sail without any rum onboard as we wouldn't have had owt to put the coffee in!

By about 0930 we have sailed for Horning.  Linden on the helm with the view of him doing all the berthing evolutions under my instructions (He is due to be our fourth skipper come the Lads week this October and needs some berthing helm time) Witnessed plenty of work by the excellent Broadsword team on the Ant up river of How Hill.  F.C.E whilst underway - be rude not to - but horror of horrors no HP brown sauce onboard, not a smidge. 8ft under Ludham bridge with evidence of work being carried out on the rubbing strip things under the bridge. Saw a fair few hireboats out but hardly any private boats underway.  Lots of fisherman over both rivers before the 15th arrives.

Sometime after 1200 we are stern on at the New Inn, by 1330 underway onboad the Souther Comfort for Pete Marrs memorial cruise.  by 1615ish we are back onboard where Robin was there to greet us.  into the pub where dinner was had, onboard again by around 2100 for a couple of DVD'S and some wine of sorts, 2359 - Lights out.

Sunday morning a walk down to the willow cafe for B'fast (Lads, the girly staff in there are very pleasing on the eye, not that we noticed you understand)  1100-ish underway for Stalham once more.  Intended to stop off at LBBy for a pump out, but no room on the quay and no sign of any staff either so on we went to Sutton Staithe - All shut and locked up so no pump out again, but good practise for Linden on the helm.  Into Richo's main basin where we got the pump out (£12) then into the wet shed where I found three blokes in one of those aluminium dory things pike fishing.  I requested that they leave, they declined, Richo's staff then came down and ejected them, all quite amicably as it turned out.

Then it was a drive round to 'Indy's home berth to drop Robin off and so Steve / Linden could have a look-see

By 2000 I'm home.  Harvey Arms this evening as per the norm and It's not my turn to drive.  Onboard in a fortnight again but this time for a full blown maintenance weekend so no venturing outside of the shed - Well, not with 'B.A' anyroadup

Griff

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

I'm impressed.

Capt Chaos and his motley crew are onboard 'B.A' they arrived Friday = 1 x phone call to me for advice.  Saturday 2 x phone calls to me for advice.  How many calls today?  Normally by now when Degger is afloat I would have had to charge my phone up twice a day dealing with his 'Issues'  He latest 'Snag' was not being able to get the TV / DVD player to talk to each other.  They were overnight at Salhouse, he also reports that he is sunburnt and squiffy.  Good to hear, Am I jealous? Well I might be but not admitting to it

Griff

BA NBN 398.jpeg

• Like 10

We saw Broad Ambition moored up at Hoveton Broad nature trail on the way back from our three hour cruise today.  BA was looking stunning.  It was great to finally see BA in real life :)

There are going to be a lot of sunburnt people after today’s weather.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Friday 18th and at last we arrive onboard.  Robin having boarded prior to our arrival got set to and dusted 'B.A' off from the swarf of the current wetshed workings.  by 2120 we are underway into a night nav bound for Malthouse Broad.  Robin on the helm, the rest of us getting settled in and stowing gear. The trip was going fine but inevitably the river mist started to show itself.  My cue to take the helm, it got proper awkward in a few places too and we had to slow to a crawl in places.  On arrival at Malthouse Broad it was a clear as a bell, we found Trixie with ease, collected Sheila then headed over to the island moorings along with Trixie.  Staying on a mudweight would have been easier but we had Macie dog onboard. Shortly before midnight both craft stern moored and safe.  Nightcap and turn in.

Saturday 19th Morning and crew member Howards Birthday - first job was to sort out that blasted ignition switch that insists on coming loose on 'B.A's helm.  I had ordered some tailor made neoprene flat washers, applied the same and we think at last we have cracked it.  I's a two man job to fit them to the switch, me being under the helm but at last it is done.  Then it was another wipe down, get 'B,A' looking as good as we could (Decks still not finished off).  B'fast nearly didn't happen as we discovered MrsG (That's Howards MrsG not mine) had left the bacon at home, so we pootled to the staithe where I was dropped off by stepping onto a moored craft to visit the shop (Apprentice NBN idiot forgot to take the gash ashore though) Bacon in hand along with HP sauce and a paper, hopped back onboard we then made our way round to Star Premier and rafted up along with Trixie and Malanka by about 100-ish.  We were then joined by other NBN forumites on various craft. This gave us all a chance to have a chat over each other. By 1215 there were ten or eleven craft rafted up - it was an impressive sight, the sunshine was gorgeous.  Malanka being lead boat instructed the flotilla before we weighed mudweights for the NBN spring C-in-C.  This consisted of:- 'I'm leading, Barry on Star Premier follow me, the rest of you follow Barry' and that was it, simple and effective.

We sailed out of Malthouse Broad where Grendel on his woody from Martham joined us and we pootled off to Salhouse Broad, tooting horns as we went and showing off our onboard Deck Totty.  I found that I was being photographed quite a lot as is the norm when I am onboard 'B.A' and underway.

The flotilla arrived at Salhouse Broad still in glorious sunshine, we made for gaps where we could and all stern moored without incident as is the norm, however Trixie had a virgin skipper onboard - they showed off by pretending to be old hands at this and managed very well.

The NBN meet then commenced in full swing for the rest of the day and was accepted by all as a great success.

Sunday morning 20th May - Clean up operations ashore and onboard.   Model #1 'B.A' showed off to the crowds.  by lunchtime-ish we sailed in company with Trixie for LBBy.  Trixie duly dropped off for more works to be completed, Trixies crew moved onboard 'B.A' and we meandered our way back to Stalham and Richo's for diesel and a pump out.  However, no staff available so no pump out and no diesel either. We then wished we had gone to Sutton Staithe and we normally do.  Into Wetshed and departed for home.

Another successful weekend afloat completed

Griff

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Ooh, naughty. Just moored up at Ludham alongside on the  demasting quay ‘ no motor boats’ so the large sign says. In my defence we got alongside at 0030 and I’ll be away before 0700.

Acle bound in t morning, then GYA for a stop for provisions then the Mighty Yare is a calling

Griff

• Like 3

Morning Chris, it’s overcast but no fog as of yet, cool and no breeze. There is a low lying river mist in the distance.  Underway approaching Thurne mouth now. Only me up, all crew still turned in. 

Just passed another boat underway, first one this morning 

Griff

• Like 3