Shares for Sale in Southern Crusader, a Birchwood 340 AC Cruiser

Many thanks to Jonzo for allowing us to list these. Please see below for details and listing of our current available shares. If you would like any more information please let me know.

Thanks,

Jon

The boat is a Birchwood 340 6 berth with 2 shower rooms with pump out toilets. Master stateroom with en-suite. Gas Cooker, Microwave, Fridge, Flat Screen TV/DVD Player, DAB CD radio with Bluetooth and MP3 Player connectivity, 240 Volt Generator for those all important hair dryers and straighteners!, Battery Charger, Shore Power and Eberspacher Warm Air Heating.

Ownership

Owning a beautiful boat is an ambition only a few of us actually realize. For most people, the concept of buying and owning a luxurious boat and only using it a few weeks each year makes it uneconomic. Look in any Marina and notice how infrequently the boats are moved.  The depreciation of the asset plus the maintenance and annual running costs are equally frightening.  

But taking a share in a boat is easily affordable and offers unrivalled value for money. There is nothing complex about sharing this way and no catches. The boat is owned and managed by the Southern Crusader Owners' Syndicate. Ownership of the boat is split into 36 fixed weeks, each year, with 12 extra weeks being syndicate-owned and are available to take as extra weeks for use by existing owners. Four weeks are reserved for maintenance. The running costs are divided equally between the 36 weeks and is approximately £350.00 per week.

The boat is owned by 20 like minded owners (some others have more than one week as well). Once you have purchased your share, all you will pay is the annual fee – (2014 - £322.00) which covers your proportion of maintenance, mooring, insurance, replacement items, etc. Plus diesel and pump out if you use the boat.

The shares on Southern Crusader are all fixed weeks , there is no drawing of allocations, this means that any week that you would purchase is always within a few days of each other every year.

This is fantastic value for money when you think that to hire the same boat in basic form as a Broads hire cruiser -Fair Diplomat costs £795 - £1445 to hire.

There is an AGM annually and an owners foum where you can get the latest news and future plans, have the opportunity for your views and comments and talk to other owners.

There are also opportunities to take other members allocated weeks which you can agree directly with them if they cannot take their week, or if you cannot take your week another member may rent it from you.

It costs more than £350 to get any sort of holiday accommodation on the Broads for a week. But this luxury accommodation can also be taken on the rivers as well !

Mooring

The boat is moored to a floating pontoon at Brundall Bay Marina in Brundall, Norfolk which must be one of the best marinas on the Broads where it has mains electricity, water, showers and toilets.

Specification

Length 10.33 Meters/34 Ft

Beam 3.37 Meters/11 Ft

Air Draft 2.95 Meters/9.8 Ft

Draft 0.94 Meters/3.1Ft

Nanni Diesel Engine

230V 2kW Diesel Generator

230v Immersion Water Heater

Eberspacher Warm Air Heating

4hp Bowthruster

Internal and External Helm Positions

Navigation Lights

230v Battery CHarger with Three 110ah Leisure Batteries

Shore Power with 230v Sockets

12v Charger Sockets

Please note that we do not allow pets on board and there is strictly no smoking anywhere on the boat

Current Shares for Sale

Week 22 - 28th June 2015 - £2,350

Week 36 - 3rd October 2015 - £1,200

Week 38 - 17th October 2015 - £1,250

Week 40 - 31st October 2015 - £1,250

Week 41 - 7th November 2015 - £950

Week 47 - 19th December 2015 - £1,700

Week 48 - 26th December 2015 - £1,700

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions please let me know.

Jon

post-18795-0-18988800-1421592382_thumb.j

post-18795-0-61672000-1421592389_thumb.j

post-18795-0-98343000-1421592401_thumb.j

post-18795-0-99876300-1421592407_thumb.j

post-18795-0-66390300-1421592416_thumb.j

post-18795-0-06115000-1421592424_thumb.j

post-18795-0-17262200-1421592431_thumb.j

post-18795-0-06389200-1421592438_thumb.j

post-18795-0-51842600-1421592444_thumb.j

post-18795-0-52775600-1421592451_thumb.j

post-18795-0-42882600-1421592458_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

We have sold a couple of shares recently, below is the up to date list of what is available. If you have any questions please let me know.

Current Shares for Sale

Week 11 - 16th April 2016 - £1,495

Week 38 - 17th October 2015 - £1,250

Week 40 - 31st October 2015 - £1,250

Week 41 - 7th November 2015 - £950

Week 47 - 19th December 2015 - £1,700

Week 48 - 26th December 2015 - £1,700

Please remember, the price above is for your share of the boat, not payable every year. Once you own this the yearly maintenance fee is approximately £350.00 per share per year for a week away!

Thanks for looking.

Jon

• Like 1

Hi dnks, You're actually wrong, its 36 weeks owned so £12,600 per year and none of that goes to anybody as a management fee it is all spent on the boat. Mooring fees alone are over £2,500 per year then when you factor in improvements such as carpets, heater replacement, annual lift out, servicing, break downs(we try to keep these to a minimum with preventative maintenance wherever possible) anti foul, polishing - the list goes on. This is why if you can only get down to the broads for a couple of weeks each year it really is the way to go. I'm sure Clive and other yards on here will confirm how much it costs to keep a boat in the water that is used almost year round.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I was chatting via email today with the person that has bought your June week.

I am glad that the shares are selling, not too many to go now.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, the summer ones are easy to sell, the winter ones are usually slower which surprises me as it is my favourite time of the year to go.

Hello dnks34,

I bet Jon wishes it was only £7000 the operate the boat per year.

Our boat Ranworth Breeze costs us owners over £12000 per year to operate any nobody gets paid and all the management fee goes into all the  costs involved:-

Mooring Fees

River toll

Insurance

Prop Cover

Electric meter costs

Winter servicing

Emergency repairs when required

Gas bottles

Renewals

We even undertake many of our own repairs including rebuilding bow thrusters, prop shaft rebuilding and machining, repairs to canopy and fixings (constant issue with most canopies), replacement of all lights to led, fitting engine bay auto extinguisher, pat testing, pump replacements, fan replacements, toilet kits or pumps fitted and other day to day maintenance.

In 2011 when we were managed by a company it cost just under £20000 per year for me and my fellow  19 owners.

Jon beat me to answering your question but I estimated they had 35 owners at one time they had over 40 owners.

Regards

Alan

Im not suggesting it isnt good value for money.

It costs me 3-4k per year to have my 37ft on a good quality mooring and be maintained to a good standard.

Your syndicate vessels will withstand a lot more use than our boat granted and being relative to mine much newer boats I still think the annual running costs seem quite high especially at the actually figures and not the 7k i came up with! Im not "dissing" your setup its just theres a big difference in annual costs between a multi owner vessel and one thats outright owned and I was really trying to understand why other than the obvious usage differences

Hello dnks34,

It is good that you can operate at that level, but I guess you must also do a lot of your maintenance yourself.

As Jon said our mooring fees are £2585 this year

River toll £353.53

Insurance will be between £600 to £750 dependant on cover, we are looking at extra cover this year.

Prop cover £60

Winter service this year was £3650 (we include all gelcoat repairs at this time)

Season start costs vary but include new duvets, pillows protectors and replenishment of all cleaning materials correct toilet rolls etc.

All fenders checked fender socks replaced if needed. The boat has to be ready for the first of my fellow owners for the first week in March and has to be kept in service until the first week in December so 40 weeks of allocations, we also allow our owners to take advantage of our out of season weeks if required. Southern Crusader operates for or used to operate 48 weeks of the year.

I assume that the other syndicate boats such as Thunder, Moonlight Shadow , Lightning and the ones on the Northern Rivers have similar costs.

Regards

Alan

We do try and do the majority of our maintenance ourselves Alan but as with all boats the odd job will crop up from time to time that has to be done by the proffesionals. We have been quite lucky since 2011 in that respect other than antifoul twice yearly as we can do our own engine servicing, winterisation and whatever electric / plumbing jobs crop up. Its only really the underwater work and canopys / upholstery that we wouldnt do ourselves and we leave that to those in the know and with the equipment to do the task properly!

You really do need to compare the costs of syndicate ownership to hiring and treat it like hiring. You can't just down tools and pop down for the weekend because somebody else is on it!

I reckon we are nearer £19.5k but that includes a management company so we just turn up and turn the key and lock the door when we leave-we even have a cleaner :-)

Works out about £400 per week. To hire Jasmine Emblem (same style) costs £1150 this week..........

• Like 1

You really do need to compare the costs of syndicate ownership to hiring and treat it like hiring. You can't just down tools and pop down for the weekend because somebody else is on it!

I reckon we are nearer £19.5k but that includes a management company so we just turn up and turn the key and lock the door when we leave-we even have a cleaner :smile:

Works out about £400 per week. To hire Jasmine Emblem (same style) costs £1150 this week..........

Thats exacly how I look at it, we had 3 weeks away last year for just over £1.000. A similar boat on the hire fleet would have been over £3,000

• Like 1

Matt & Jon, I fully agree on the costs, we will be having our 30th week on the Broads in September since we first bought our share in Ranworth Breeze, we would have not have been able to have afforded the hire costs or would have had to reduce the number of trips to the Broads.

We still have a sellable share in the boat but we will continue to visit the Broads until the times comes when we are unable, I hope that is no time too soon.

Maybe when we retire we might get another share.

Regards

Alan

• 1 year later...

Hi,

We have had some shares come up for sale this week. If anybody is interested please let me know.

Week 31 – w/c 3rd September 2016 - £2,000
Week 32 – w/c 10th September 2016 - £2,000
Week 33 – w/c 17th September 2016 - £1,500

Weeks 31 and 32 could be sold together for £3,500

Please note that hese are fixed weeks every year not random.

Cheers.

Jon
  • Like 1