North Walsham & Dilham Canal

GeoffandWendy

Grffs right - this is all interesting but it is only being done in bits and even work on those has slowed of late.

However unlikely to ever be restored to anything like full access for two main reasons. One piece is owned by a farmer who is determined to stop access unless it is over his dead body and fundamentally it failed all those years ago simply because not enough water ever flowed down it and that was at the outset. Now the flow is very limited and would probably take half a day to fill a lock!!!

And I really hope you dont mind me saying this but it is the North Walsham and Dilham Canal and not as titled. 

The Aylsham Navigation is another one - search for that too. 

Edited by BroadScot
Title edited

Without the endless volunteers that have worked over many years a lot of the canals we love would not be open and used by the nation.

We went as a family for several years working on the Chesterfield Canal every Sunday and joined in with IWA work party weekends at places like Wantage.

Clearing capped or silted up locks can be a major undertaking by digging by hand and removing the spoil by barrow hoists, dirty work with unexpected finds found in the spoil.

The joy of a volunteer group finding the funding to have lock gates made and the eventual fitting of the said locks  in situ is a major event. Tapton lock in Chesterfield was one of the first locks we worked on.

I wish the Members of North Walsham & Dilham Canal Society luck with their endeavours.

Are there any canal days planned to promote the canal & its future?

Regards

Alan 

• Like 6

Thank you for those links Griff, very interesting reading!  cheers

Sorry Marshman, for getting the heading wrong about the title of the canal.  :bow

Even if it doesn't get used by boats again, it shouldn't stop small craft like canoes being able to travel along its length. Or would the farmer who owns the land, even object to that? It amazes me, when people go to a lot of time and effort, to restore canals like this, always seem to come across someone who objects. It is good for the environment, the community and visitors alike, as well as good for nature and wildlife habitats. Much better than letting it decay and becoming lost forever.

I wish all those involved the best of luck and hope that one day, they will achieve their goal.

Alan, I too spent lots of time working as a volunteer on the Caldon Canal, during the early seventies. It is now a thriving waterway and attracts hundreds of boats, during the season. I used to live just up the lane from the Boat Inn and Cheddleton Station, where the Churnet Valley Railway has its headquarters.

• Like 2

The Norfolk Uncovered series of films on YouTube are really interesting and highlight some of the lesser know history of the county. Not all Broads related of course, but fascinating none the less if you're interested in local history. Check out the rest of his uploads here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djoska87/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I went though a few more last night, including this one of the old chalk mine tunnels underneath Norwich. Incredible ... but you wouldn't catch me going that far underground! :eek:

Carol

• Like 2

Not for me going underground either Carol.We can see Ebridge Mill in the distance as it is not far from us.What a difference the work has made over the last few years.The canal .lock and basin are restored from what to us was stream when we first moved here.On the open day various boats,even a sailing boat were using the basin and canal.I am told that use of the water is to be allowed ,especially by local people.together with the walks and some good fishing I am told.A great improvement is that the derelict mill is now being refurbished for apartments with some fantastic views and will enhance the area greatly.Roy

• Like 1

Geoff and Wendy - I agree with you on the canoe and unpowered craft and indeed I think he would struggle to stop that. Landing another issue entirely.

Hire a canoe from Banks Boats at Wayford Bridge and you should be able to paddle up to Honing Lock - bit overgrown up towards there but you may still be able to do that. There is also a footpath alongside a lot of that part of the canal from Tonnage Bridge up to Honing - a bit wet in winter!! But canoe trip worth doing just to say you have done it. I was up there in a workboat 3/4 years ago and that was fine still

• 10 months later...

I remember reading an edition of Motor boat and Yachting, where they hired a 30ft cruiser from Loyns, and took a photo of it moored at Tonage bridge. That was back in about 81, so it would`nt take much for that section to have overhanging trees cut back, and the river dredged. It would`nt need to be very deep either. In fact, it would be relatively easy to restore the navigation to Honing lock. Are there any decent pubs in Honing village? :naughty:.

I have been told that it is possible to take a cruiser that far and that the person that told me does take his boat to those moorings.  I said I would follow him though! We are talking about boats the size and depth of WR, maybe not more. My brother canoed up to the lock a few years ago...........

P6270192.JPG

P6270194.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

A couple of weeks ago, the Wayfarer's Broads Cruise sailed up to the East Ruston Branch, staying overnight - much to the pleasure of the Butcher's Arms, before returning, but this time using their outboards (to their dismay). Their overnight camp was on the East Ruston Branch, as moorings are not permitted on either side of the canal below the East Ruston Junction,   or the west side above. It's good to see the canal being used.

On another point - it is often stated, incorrectly, that the canal never had enough water to fill the locks. The flow at Ebridge was 48 tons per minute in the 1950's, it doesn't take long to fill locks with that flow - plus the lockful comes out of a mile+ length of canal, so would have little affect on the level of the reach. The only lock that may have had problems would have been Swafield Lower & Upper Locks, which is but a hundred+ yard long reach - and may have been the reason for the spillway to have been heightened by three bricks at some time in the 19th Century.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ivan said:

A couple of weeks ago, the Wayfarer's Broads Cruise sailed up to the East Ruston Branch, staying overnight - much to the pleasure of the Butcher's Arms, before returning, but this time using their outboards (to their dismay). Their overnight camp was on the East Ruston Branch, as moorings are not permitted on either side of the canal below the East Ruston Junction,   or the west side above. It's good to see the canal being used.

On another point - it is often stated, incorrectly, that the canal never had enough water to fill the locks. The flow at Ebridge was 48 tons per minute in the 1950's, it doesn't take long to fill locks with that flow - plus the lockful comes out of a mile+ length of canal, so would have little affect on the level of the reach. The only lock that may have had problems would have been Swafield Lower & Upper Locks, which is but a hundred+ yard long reach - and may have been the reason for the spillway to have been heightened by three bricks at some time in the 19th Century.

Hi Ivan,

Welcome to the NBN Forum.:wave

cheersIain