The Adventures of Orca

JawsOrca

Had the great pleasure of meeting Alan & Dave on Friday and being invited to have a look on board Orca, it felt quite surreal after watching the restoration to be actually standing onboard.

Thanks guy's, It was great to meet you both and congratulate you personally on the great job you've done.

It was great to see Steve & Deb again before they left for home.....it was like a mini Forum meet.

• Like 3

Lol I did tons of questions and dave was worried that we can be easily spotted! I'll do a decent write up. But at Beccles now. Iain u can easily get a 40 footer in front of the houseboat but call them to reserve.

Hi Alan,

Stern on be best with the platform on the stern of Braoadway I think. Once I see it in the flesh will make up my mind.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

I don't know about Broadway, but the stern cleats on Carousel 1 were almost at water level, which made it interesting in tidal waters. I actually used the centre cleats when stern on down south to give the boat a little room to move up and down.

Have a safe journey down and enjoy your trip.

Hi Iain,

I don't know about Broadway, but the stern cleats on Carousel 1 were almost at water level, which made it interesting in tidal waters. I actually used the centre cleats when stern on down south to give the boat a little room to move up and down.

Have a safe journey down and enjoy your trip.

Hi Eric,

If I moor stern on to the pontoon mooring at OBYS  I hope it will be ok. No way will I go stern on on the Harbour Master Quay. Thank you, I leave hopefully 8am ish Tomorrow. Going Edinbirgh By Pass and A1 for a change.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Thanks david it was really good to met u guys too. I hope u managed to give the boat back! Next time we will have a beer! Have a safe trip iain. Its lovely and peaceful down here at the moment. Get down here and relax! (Live from just in front of Beccles old bridge) oh anyone knows the pet names of these geese?

• Like 2

Thanks david it was really good to met u guys too. I hope u managed to give the boat back! Next time we will have a beer! Have a safe trip iain. Its lovely and peaceful down here at the moment. Get down here and relax! (Live from just in front of Beccles old bridge) oh anyone knows the pet names of these geese?

Those geese are called many things. They are known to me as the Turdites, all the poops they leave behind! :naughty:

cheers  Iain

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

It will be next Sunday I think before the South beckons. The tide times are naff. At my age, I require my morning beauty sleep! :liar  Not poodling down the Bure at the crack of dawn, That's ok for the likes of young Robin. :dance

cheers Iain

• Like 2

So glad everything went well for you, transporting Orca and getting it safely in the water. She really looks nice and the pictures you posted says it all. Nice write up, you are almost as good at it, as me lol.  :rolleyes:

Wendy & I wish you well and hope you have some wonderful times on board your boat. Look forward to many more Orca tales in the future. All the best Alan.

• Like 3

2nd Instalment

"The Maiden Voyage"

Friday May 1st

Orca’s crew (Alan and Dave) arrived a little later than expected, we had hoped to get to suffolk for about 10.30 but pesky roadworks and bank holiday drivers meant we was an hour or so later. Anyways finally we pulled into the marina and unloaded the estate car of what must have looked like enough “Stuff” to last a three week holiday!  As unloaded commenced Steve from the NBN forum (SteveandDebs) came over to offer a hand in exchange for a guided tour, Steve and Debs had visited Orca during the restoration works and I think pleased to see the final outcome.  

It was also really nice to see fellow NBN forum member David (deebee29) and his brother walking down the marinas lane, we had arranged via the forum for an unofficial mini meet up as they were aboard one of the new lightship type hireboats and kindly stopped off whilst passing! David stepped aboard and seemed impress with seeing Orca in real life! Huge shame you had to head back but next time beers David!!

As promised Dave and Alan went to take a look at Lady Patricia, Steve had problems with her during the week and Orca’s chief engineer (Dave) found some issues and politely and gently offered advice. In return Steve and Debs very kindly offered Orca a new seat (for the first engineer), very kind of you guys and it will be installed shortly! Time quickly rushed upon us and all tummies were rumbling so off to our new local we went!  After a lovely round of chips and wherry ( cheers guys!) we wished Steve and Debs a safe journey home and returned to Orca.

Kind of unpacking the bits, the chief engineer quickly got to work, installing the helmsman chair and repairing some of Orca’s fuel leaky fuel filter. Captain Alan managed to cut down some non-slip material and install on the dashboard (I must admit it looks quite good – Pictures omitted  and appears to block out the glare from the sun!).  Once the chief engineer gave the nod it was Engine on and Orca’s thumper coughed and spluttered.
“Seems better”!

Lines untied, Orca was gently navigated out the marina, a quick glance at the GPS indicated that the fuel pressure seems to be more stable and she was leaving at a saner 2.5kts compared to last week’s 4.5kts! We turned downstream out of the Marina noticing fellow NBN boat “Ranworth Breeze” although couldn’t spot her current crew so they was probably refreshing in the pub! Orca reassuring proceeded downstream with no problems even against the incoming tide, quickly the old centre of the railway bridge at herringfleet came in sight followed by the new cut at st olaves, all still well so about turn and back to the marina. Back at the free moorings;

“Shall we try and practice some moorings?” “Which side?” “The blind side, starboard!” “This is going to be fun, I’ll go put some more fendoffs that side then”…

A gentle kiss later Orca landed on the mooring, a subtle smirk from the captain to the 1st mate.. The 1st mate failed to understand that from the helm the blind side isn’t actually quite so blind thanks to the window in the galley which actually gives better visibly than the port side!

Back into the marina the stern on mooring was also getting easier after more practice and passed without incident!

Dinner was had in harvester at Lowestoft before an full nights sleep as tomorrow was really Orca’s maiden voyage!

Edited by JawsOrca
Added Meeting David! (deebee29)
  • Like 6

Saturday 2nd May

A cold but sunny start, Orca’s heating fired up to take the chill off and to assist with mopping up the condensation from the windows. A quick teenage/Norfolk breakfast consisting of biscuits and other general rubbish the chief engineer checked Orca’s thumper before gently encouraging it to come to life, yup just like most of us on a bank holiday morning it didn’t quite want to awake but eventually it did. The way this engine was behaving anyone would think it’s an old girl looking for an easier life instead of the spring chicken it really is.. ok maybe a spoilt teenage brat.

Ropes cast off at about 10.30pm, Orca followed three traditional broads sailing boats out the marina who were slowly being quant poled before catching the wind and galloping off ..  The crew carefully studied the bright height boards, whilst remembering that only a few weeks ago some poor cruiser neaped herself for some weeks,

“How tall are we again?”, “8 foot? Or was it 8 foot six?” “Ok lets go for 8.6 to be safe..

what’s that board read” “8 something?!!” “Ok pass me the radio, let’s get it opened”.

After scratching places which shouldn’t be scratched, channel 12 on the vhf radio was selected;

“Somerleyton Bridge, Somerleyton Bridge, Motor Boat Orca, Motor Boat Orca, Over”

“Somerleyton” was the reply although you could sense what was actually meant [What do you want Orca, it’s 10 o’clock on a bank holiday weekend, sod off!]

“Good morning, Somerleyton Bridge” (suitable level of sarcasm) “Orca, Can you advise when you can open up for us, Over”

“15 mins” again in the tone of [Now seriously sod off and tell your matesso I can go back to sleep]

“Somerleyton, Orca, Many thanks, Over” (I never say Over as I always expect a reply although in hindsight I probably knew I wasn’t going to get one this time!

Being a true gentleman Orca’s skipper allowed one of Richardsons finest rainbow coloured bathtubs go first followed by the three sailboats, (well I wasn’t going to argue with those things!). With the tide behind and a hoot on the loud air horn to thank the sleepy bridge attendant for his service Orca easily navigated through the open bridge.

Getting a grip of the boat it quickly started to sink in that Orca is safely in Norfolk(Suffolk) and handling well, perhaps it was the sceptical of traditional sailboats tacking around the sparkling reflection of the river followed closely by a famous bathtub or perhaps the side of a big bird of prey catching the wind whilst looking for his next take away meal (sorry I’m no philanthropist or whatever the word for bird spotting is ;) )

Somehow Clives boat managed to get past the sailboat although that boat was galloping at some 6 and bit MPH between tacks (By this time the skipper had worked out how to use the GPS and change the speed to Norfolks “MPH” system) and it was quickly my turn to try! A helpful word from the 1st mate;

“That’s the boat from our yard.. Don’t hit it”

With Dave’s words of encouragement ringing in my ears in did the brain numbing calculation of “Next tack” although as that tack approached the wind seemed to build up to and the sailboat was certainly in full gallop so the only way to make sure Orca and “Whispering Reeds” (They are always called something like that) was going to get through our first encounter was to give Orca some gas.. Gap found, Orca’s throttle was pushed forward and thumper responded hitting supersonic planning speed within moments. During the movement the mutual glances of fear passed back and forward between both crews  “If we don’t make it alive, it’s been fun!”.. Once safe Orca’s throttle retarded down a couple of hundreds rev’s , looking back hopefully not too many ducks, fish and roe dear were killed (disclaimer: events are dramatised  for effect and no animals, humans and boats were harmed).

The plan was oulton for lunch, the rest of the passage down was largely uneventful, passing the odd gym palace and waving even though it’s probably pointless considering it’s hard to even see through windows let alone a replying wave! And noticing that the bathtub had quickly vanished into the distance with what must be it’s retired concorde engine! (and no GPS Speedo).

Oulton broad appeared like an oasis amoust the endless reeds although it was sad to see a somewhat empty OBYS, the captain skilfully/luckily glided Orca against the yacht stations banks under the instruction of the Yacht master who kindly mentioned  “You came in there as if you had full thrusters” “Oh hell yes, I’m in full control here with all of that stuff” was the captains really…. Yup he got the irony!  Noticing our first slip up being a huge lack of Norfolk sized fendoffs the harbour master suggested we moved Orca over to the floating pontoon. “LOL watch it mate there’s no wind pointing that way!” Although the captain quickly navigated Orca over there without hitting anything!

Orca was locked up and the crew had a leisurely walk around the park, apparently they stumbled around some brightly painted caravans on one side of the broad, perhaps a 70’s hit? Lunch and beers were had in the wherry hotel with a few of Orca resting at the yacht station.  Before returning to Orca the crew just couldn’t walk past the chandlers and got the customary Broads map and some canopy ties to replace those damaged over the winter.

Thumper quickly restarted this time around and Orca’s was comfortably reversed out of the yacht station heading further upstream to Beccles.  The trip to Beccles was really relaxing, Orca was performing well and the crew were starting to relax and let the boat take the strain. An hour and 40 mins later the other monument of Mr Beeching success (?) came into view which now also “Welcomes visitors to Beccles” well in about 30 mins time. Turning past the house on the hill, the skippers (Note the skipper and the captain are generally the same person!) worse nightmare came into view. The horizon was dotted with white sails. Beccles sailing were proudly having one of those race days! and boy it was a busy race there looked to be thousands of the pesky things.

No time to think, Orca’s throttle was retarded to just on tick over, captain checked the speed 3.5mph.. and she cannie go any lower considering the sidewind and the need to steer with the current behind. Sticking to the right side of the river, the first couple boats wizzed past no problems, phrew, although it quickly became clear that the rest were aiming for a buoy positioned on the right side of the river, just in front of my track which gave the dinghies just enough space to turn around but clearly not enough space for all of us. I’ve not witnessed the real look of fear in the eyes of a dingy sailors before  although I did today, it was along the lines of “Please don’t go there, someone will die”.. Spotting a gap on the other side of the river the captain did a quick turn to port and checking the depth gauge Orca hugged the wrong side of the river even despite the look of contempt for the racers this side but at least everyone was safe and no one died! Leaving the kids to enjoy their race Orca arrived at her overnight stop of Beccles, The yacht master suggested we moored side on just in front of the bridge, which we did. The captain is truly getting the hang of handling the alien outdrive and managed to turn in front of the bridge and land the boat (blind side) without hitting anything again!

Engine off, it was a long day but it’s nice to be in Beccles and have a lovely mooring, although shame there’s truly local pub so it was a walk into town and a cooked chicken and chips for dinner before listening to the radio and reading some of the tourist junk found in the tourist information shop before an early night.

post-28066-0-71739600-1430762154_thumb.j

post-28066-0-67970700-1430762177_thumb.j

post-28066-0-16099100-1430762203_thumb.j

post-28066-0-28541500-1430762242_thumb.j

post-28066-0-72939700-1430762253_thumb.j

post-28066-0-71568900-1430762266_thumb.j

post-28066-0-87944600-1430762416_thumb.j

post-28066-0-84827200-1430762438_thumb.j

• Like 6

Thanks Grace, I'm trying to make it a bit fun lol and get the atmosphere which is too easy to forget!  I think I've got the dinghy race there.. it was truly "interesting".. but they are all very skilled sailors.

Yesterdays one coming up... 

cheers

• Like 1

Sunday 3rd May

The 1st mate was disappointed that the promised thunder storms didn’t happen.. I have no idea why someone would look forward to a thunder storm but still. But it was still a gloomy morning and quickly followed by quite a bit of rain. Waiting for the rain to fade away, as forecast , the ships cook (Note, The cook is also the skipper so the food always tastes perfect) cooked up some bacon sandwiches. One of the local geese was also making themselves known by peering at the galley window, although unfortunately, duck food wasn’t on the fitout shopping list so, Bob (Named after my annoying uncle) went hungry today, although I’m sure they know how to tempt food from the other boaters. 

Unfortunately the rain didn’t quite stop so the waterproofs installed and the crew trundled back up to the village for spares and provisions. Beccles is lovely unfortunately a bit too wet for too much sightseeing today so we didn’t spend a whole lot of time about and no camera.. next time : ) Back to the boat and pack away the bits. The rain was slowly clearing, the 1st mate did his checks and the captain did the skilled work of turning the key, unfortunately thumper once again didn’t want to quite play ball considering it had gone midday and it should have! Words were past alone the lines of “Thumpers still got a fuel leak”.

Leaving Beccles before has always been a sign of going home it’s been the last corner before the final trudge back to the boatyard although this time it felt good. Thankfully no kids in sight at the sailing club. The trip down to the Waveney river centre was nice and relaxing and sadly quickly flew by, although it was nice to see a few hireboats making their way south towards Beccles and all given the friendly wave even those refusing to budge from the upper helm considering the drizzle of rain.

Water and fuel was taken aboard at the Waveney River Centre. 30 litres of red diesel for £44! (£1.25 ouch!) although it’s nice to have a full tank for the first time (Note Orca is fitted with antisyphon devices… Captain quick to inform chief engineer that the fuel gauge hasn’t budged so add it to the newly evented “fix list”.

Leaving the WRC the plan was to head to Loddon to overnight. The trip towards Somerleyton was again nice and relaxing and Orca was performing well and a tad bit of wind made steering interesting. Quickly Somerleyton swing bridge appeared and was open with the tide behind us we steadily approached the bridge at idle to stick to 6mph. Suddenly a Brooms cadet appeared and going as if racing to get through the bridge as if it would shut before they made it, even though thet clearly have enough air draft  if it was to shut, unlike us! Once through Orca casually proceeded past the still open bridge. As we passed the entrance, the captain uttered to the chief engineer

“Oi is everything good?”

The unexpected reply “Erm well actually we have a fuel leak and the belts kinda worn and she probably cannie make it too long”

“What happens if the belt breaks, it can still run?”

“Nope it drives the water pump”

“We got spare belt though, aint we, Like I (Captains hat firmly applied) said we needed”

Sadly knowing the answer before it was uttered “It will be OK go on”

Doing the quick safety estimation, Chief engineer worried about the belt, fuel leak just means Orca’s a pain to start but knowing it has two primer pumps so sign, but the tides flowing out quite quick. The captain turned the boat around and headed into the marina, mooring up at Orcas berth skilfully.

Engine off, car keyed located in the car heading to Halfolrds for a spare belt, the unsurprising reply from Mr Halfords

“Lol, what do you want one of those for, we stopped selling those years ago! But I’ll get you one for Tuesday”

“Dave Mate, Any ideas where we get one today?” (Mechanics are always a Dave (Well Orca’s one is)).

“LOL lovely bank holiday ennit, bye!”.

Anyways copper washers found for the fuel leak at least that can be fixed.

Back to the boat, lovely sunny day, sail boats and the chuck of BMC’s and Perkins 4108s could be seen and heard just beyond the marina. On Orca the chief engineer swearing in the engine bay. The captain determined to still have a bit of fun, dug Jaws out and with the reluctant help of the 1st mate got the pesky outboard going, although now he had a reason to sware! Unfortunately Jaws is a pain to control so after a few moments (mainly the fear of crashing into every boat in the marina) Jaws was put back to bed!

Thoughts then turned to food, as it did and a glimpse at the time, 6.30pm! meant a quick call to the local pub.. Table booked for Orca’s crew for an hours time!

Food was delightful! I had the “Dukes Burger” Dave had pork belly and the lord’s special chips! Both meals bloody lovely! Desert was apple crumble and Brownie with honeycomb sorbet for the captain, again lovely! Washed down with Wherry and Suffolk cider! The pubs down south are all lovely but this one is now our favourite and thankfully it’s now our local! (Well local to our second home!) It was dark by the time we finished and a full moon. The walk back down to the marina was very spooky and thoughts could easily turn to what ghosts and ghouls could terrorise this part of Broadland.

post-28066-0-15047500-1430768315_thumb.j

post-28066-0-16455100-1430768326_thumb.j

post-28066-0-48850800-1430768339_thumb.j

• Like 5

Monday 4th May.  

Awoken in the middle of the night by the hellish sound of rusty cogs and scratching metal, it seemed like a monster from London had entered the Broadland countryside! A quick peer out the windows one could see some lights and action going on towards the nearby railway line, at least it’s not those pesky Lithuanian outboard engine thieves. Slowly the London railway monster vanished into the distance and the captain dosed off to sleep once again.

Awoken by the sun managing to find a gap in the curtains, it was up to a warm morning so doors and windows open and another teenage type breakfast of Jammy dodgers and Jaffa cakes before packing the bits back into the car and sweeping away the mess made over the weekend.

Although a cut short trip, it still felt like the crew had a relaxing time away and it was clear that Orca is certainly transformed from an unloved plastic rain trap to a comfortable, and despite the odd expected niggles list, a capable Norfolk broads cruiser.  The feeling of given the boat back is also firmly gone now so the “years” of work were starting to pay off. The drive back south is no longer plagued with tears as it’s known that the crew will be back aboard Orca before we know it! cheers

• Like 9

Day Trip..  "Can't stay away"

Saturday 9th May

Ok so we really couldn't stay away. Wondering what to do today because rain was forecast which isn't perfect weather for resealing windows which we had planned on the other boat we thought a little day trip would be good.

So left home at 9am headed to the local motor factors for bits. Arrived at the boat at about lunch time. Dave quickly got on fixing the fuel leak which he managed! With this fixed he was able to turn the idle down. Mooring lines undone, Orca started a bit easier and once in gear it was clear that she handles a hell of a lot better, no crunching and very smooth on the throttle. 

All seemed good so we headed downstream to St Olaves. Despite the strong wind she handled well!  Mooring up at the bell inns mooring against the current aided by the wind was all nice and easy :)

Into the Bell Inn for lunch. Burgers and Bure Gold Shandy. It was the first time for us in the bell inn, it was OK... Food wasn't brilliant but it's hit and miss with burgers, but service was good so we will be back in. 

We've not been to St Olaves for many many years and the last time we was there we stumbled across the Priory and it's vaulted ceiling, so as we had time we found it again... Well worth a look around. It's just up the road from the pub. The liamas in the farm next door was a bit afraid of us and stayed away.

Back to the boat and back to the marina without any problems. It was a nice couple of hours in norfolk, good to know the boats fixed and she's starting to feel trustworthy, so all ready for the next trip up which is a nice 5 day trip so hopefully we will make it into norwich :)

Few pics attached. 

post-28066-0-63662100-1431197413_thumb.j

post-28066-0-88908700-1431197420_thumb.j

post-28066-0-17158600-1431197434_thumb.j

post-28066-0-16998600-1431197467_thumb.j

post-28066-0-12257700-1431197496_thumb.j

post-28066-0-62928600-1431197505_thumb.j

• Like 6

Lol we certainly couldn't David.. Thankfully too the drive is getting shorter each time (or feels it). We have 5 day trip next so looking forward to that.

Glad to hear you booked the same boat for next year it looked stunning and Silverline are very good :)

The priory is well worth a wander around, I'm surprised it not advertised much as it's better than some of English heritages paid places (although theres not a lot there but is still worth a wonder) :)

cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

5 day bank holiday trip - "The Engine Run In".

Friday 22nd May 2015.

We left for Norfolk just after 9.30 to miss the Friday rush hour traffic and arrived at the boat just after lunchtime (Yup sorry diet.. Mcd’s for lunch at Geldeston roundabout!… that Mcd’s is going to be deadly!). The marina was quiet with no one about. The boat was loaded with the light bits needed for this 5 day trip. The chief engineer has purchased a rev meter as I was a bit worried that the engines rev gauge wasn't set up correctly and indeed it wasn’t, although it was only 200revs out so no damage would have been done as I can go to about 2500revs at the moment (Until 50 hours) and we hadn’t been above 2000) Engine on and we gently manoeuvre out the marina. I did switch on the video camera but looking back when getting home I noticed it’s overwritten today’s videos but plenty to come later in this tale.

I checked the tides before leaving and knew it would be reasonably still water thankfully it was! Turning into the new cut this was the start of new ground for Orca and she did well. Dave took the helm for a bit and I sat down and watched the world go by.. I am a serious helm hogger so it’s very rare for me to sit away from the helm (although I noticed I could watch the forward progress through the cabins window from sitting in a certain spot!). Dave did well and we were quickly at Reedham.

Thankfully the tide was flowing in as predicted and the bridge was open so it was quickly under! The plan for this week was to go back and forth from Norwich and Beccles but for no real reason I kinda knew this wasn’t going to happen?! so we headed down the chet towards loddon (I’m not a fan of Reedham, so no stopping).  The chets 4mph speed limit was also new, as so far,  we have been able to do 5 or 6mph everywhere so I was a bit worried if the boat would do it, and do it on a tight river and still have maneuverability.  Thankfully all was well and she was fine, although she was stalling on the bends so needed a bit more power on the bends but it’s all lessons to be learnt at the moment. After a couple of bends one of pacific boats quickly approached, although I was close "on" the limit so not sure how fast they were going. We asked if he wanted to overtake and thankfully they made it clear they were OK going “slow”.  A few more bends and we had the moment we had dreaded.

Orca’s engine pitch unexpectedly changed but thankfully right next to an empty BA mooring so I quickly aimed at the bank although it was quickly clear we had lost all drive and the lever wouldn’t even go in gear so Orca hit the mooring at some speed. But once off, no damage was evident apart from a little scuff on the rubbing strip! Dave started to look around the boat and the pacific hireboater stopped behind us and we had a good chat! (I know better than asking Dave questions for things like this) Dave quickly identified that the gear linkage on the sterndrive had come loose from its mount which meant it would be a quick and easy fix (although the swim platform was taken to bits for access :( ). He worked out that the cable was too tight so as the chet was quite winding it managed to work its way free. 

Engine started and gears tested, waving good bye to another new friend (a typical serial hirer although on one of their last trips up as they done the stupid thing and brought a boat.. good luck if you somehow read this!).  We was worried that Loddon staithe would be full but we could see an empty spot on Pyes mill so worse case we would go there. Thankfully the staithe had empty slots and my stern mooring skills are improving!

Engine off we decided to for a quick wander before heading further upstream although looking at the time (it was only about 4pm) and knowing that one of our favourite pubs (white horse) was here and being a bit shaken by the breakdown we decided to call it a day.. The white horse had a mini beer festival so although disappointed with no wherry although I settled into a light ale which tasted similar. Dave had his usual Aspal’s. We booked a table for a couple of hours time although I could have stayed there for hours trying the beers but my ever increasing waist line reminded me to be sensible!

On passing we noticed that a cover on my parent’s boat was flapping so we wondered over to fix it. Returning to the staithe another pacific boat arrived so we helped fend them off and tie them up followed by the usual chat (I really do talk to everyone!!). Once again a serial broads addict! but these guys are serious though, averaging 11 weeks a year!! 11 weeks!! and still hiring! That’s insane.. No idea why they don’t have their own boat although they mentioned they get a good deal with pacific (bloody hope so indeed!). They also brought their cat aboard which I’ve not heard before but reassuring the cat just relaxes like the rest of the crew.

Quick shower and scrub up before returning to the white horse for a different beer and some lovely grub as usual. Back to the moorings after dark and quickly passing out.

• Like 9

Considering the Chet is now twice its width in places compared to days passed, its a nice pootle trip. Reedham needs the Lord Nelson back up and running, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. Also the village store up the hill, reopening, would be good also. 

Great to see your out doing your "sea trials" Alan. Unless I am very much mistaken and there are very high tides at Reedham Swing Bridge, you should always get through without it being required to open for you.

Sommerlayton Bridge is a different kettle of fish, care always required there.

cheers Iain.