Broadsventure XII back

C.Ricko

Hi Jonny,

I did get an answer out od Dad, he said he likes the centre cockpit Alphas.

i asked about wooden boats and he said he does not like any of them, he is not interested in boats or cars in the way most people like them, a car gets him to work and a boat goes out on hire. In his opinion all wooden boats are trouble and also pointless as fiberglass has been invented!

Hi Clive

Your Dad's remarks really surprise me :o ...After all the Heart and Soul that went into their creation and the Buisiness he built up around them...He likes Plastic Boats :pirate ...Thats one thing about your Dad, he did move with the times and no doubt why he built up a successful buisiness as we know it today...unlike myself, still living in The Dark Ages :lol:

Your remark about the car I do understand...As I recall he never was interested in cars and don't ever remember him driving when I was there in the sixties. The car that I do call to mind if my memory serves me right was a two-tone green Vauxhall Cresta that he bought for your grandmother and Ted Wright used to drive for her.

Which brings me to another bit of useless info, in that it was Ted and his wife that I lodged with at Sutton..Happy Days

As for wooden boats being trouble...Maybe they are..but that's why we love them so much...they are just like us...grow old gracefully :!::!: and still turn an eye when cared for...not including myself in that last remark ;)

All the Best...Terry

H Clive

Hi Jonny,

I did get an answer out od Dad, he said he likes the center cockpit Alpha

as.

I well i dint exspect you to ask your dad just shows you cant judge what a person will say only if you ask them yourself

thanks Clive :trophy:trophy

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice sliceice slice

• 2 weeks later...

I did get an answer out od Dad....

i asked about wooden boats and he said he does not like any of them, he is not interested in boats or cars in the way most people like them, a car gets him to work and a boat goes out on hire. In his opinion all wooden boats are trouble and also pointless as fiberglass has been invented!

I'm with Mr Richardson Senior.. couldn't have put it better myself! cheers

Dan

I think all you carvel and plank on frame wooden boat lovers are philistines, with your modern boat building methods. What’s wrong with a single felling dugout, or hide on bent willow frame, it was good enough for you great…….great grandfather so why all this modern stuff, not traditional at all. And whilst I’m at it what’s with all this pneumatic tyre nonsense, what’s wrong with a good old solid rubber or even better iron on wood tyre. :naughty::naughty:

Does your dad still come into work then Clive,what does he do? :wave:grin:

Hi Barry,

Dad drives to work every day, he deals with me and my brother :lol::lol:

in the winter there are bits and pieces to do but he gets a bit bored but in the summer he deals with answering complaints. That sounds bad but although we get less than 1% there is still a lot of work that he puts in to finding out what the problem was and sorting it out and keeping the customer happy while not giving too much away. There are other things we all do but they do not individually ammount to much.

David,

even your boat had an original version made of wood ;)

Sorry to disappoint Clive, she's based on a fast European Atlantic coast commercial potter. Though she does come from a builder with well over a hundred years of history with the same family ownership there was never a matchstick version. The original development began because of the availability of modern materials and unlike the equivalent U.S. Downeaster lobster boat designs there were no wooden versions ever made. Designed on the back of a Gaulois packet by one of the few blokes actually entitled to wear a Breton cap. Every boat I've ever owned bar one has been based on a commercial fishing vessel from some part of the world, my dream one is actually wooden, all 80feet of Buckie built Iroko on oak prawn trawler of her. :grin:

I will have to get a sign for the hull *this is not GRP* :naughty:

Ian :Sailing ( 3 weeks to go :dance )

Well Ian, unlike most, Tamara could pass for a moulded hull :bow , no sign of caulking or misaligned planks, bruised wood etc. to give the game away, I still reckon Colin had access to a time machine and took some matting and resin back with him :naughty:

Commercially rated engines in a leisure boat eh Neil? Shows a bit of thought as to how a trawler yacht will possibly be used and therefore a good thing really, or at least offering the option is. Mr Volvo has always been kind to me and never cost me any real money to keep going so I’ll stick with the devil I know, now if I could just get hold of the diagnostic software for my laptop. :naughty:

(With apologies to Clive for pretty major thread drift)

I wish, I seem to have forgotten about her a bit, I have plenty of things to distract me at the moment but will put some wheels in motion soon.

one thing which was holding things up was what to do about a toilet tank and wether to change the size of the diesl or water tanks to fit one in. I am probably going to have a fairly small tank made and build a plinth over it to take the toilet on top with a short pipe.

problem is, I just want to use her and I have a feeling that I may take her away fron the yard before 'phase1' is finished which would mean more work than planned next time but we will see what we can get done in the time available.