Vanguard Thunderjet Resto

smitch6

Hi I've just bought a Vanguard Thunderjet 17 foot (or at least i think thats what it is pic is attached if anyone can clarify )

It's mostly there but has ben stripped ready to have the wood rubbed and varnished.

The hood is 1 thing i do need though so if anyone knows who does canopy's fairly cheap as the prices i've seen are around the 1k mark which is way too much for my budget.

I'm also after an outboard prob around the 10hp size as will only be using it on the broads.

Will post more pics as i'm going along

still yet to figure a name out for her as well

post-656-0-49509700-1428000876_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cool another project.. :) 

Good luck with it and please post pictures everyone loves pictures.

Couple of answers for you.

Canopies aren't cheap and it seems the closer you get to the broads the dearer they become. You may want to look into doing it yourself, you can get all the parts and the fabric goes through a normal sewing machine. Take a look here for material: http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/. If you want to get someone to do for you its probably worth emailing around (Details here: http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/299-canopy-suppliers/)  and hoping someone will give you the best quote.

Engines, I'd go new if you have a pocket deep enough, Tohatsu are the best IMHO, although if you are lucky fleabay or boat jumbles may have good ones, although make sure it runs for sometime and goes in and out of gear before buying!

For the outside cushions, we used 50mm closed cell, its not cheap and a bit hard but it doesn't rot and doesn't absorb water. Take a look here for foam (http://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php). Hawke house again do the seating vinyl cheaply and other bits you will need.

Good luck again and looking forward to watching your progress! 

cheers

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply :)

I am handy with a sewing machine and have quite a good one although it is only a domestic.

the 1 thing that is putting me off is all the fixings as there is zips, press studs, the push hole things and holes with rubber bungies in them

I have the old ripped hood so do have a template.

I don't have deep pockets and far from it lol :(

I do know a good engine man though KenMar marine bless him Ken is a good friend and a handy man to know when it comes to engines, but unfortunately he doesn't have any for sale at the mo.

What sort of size hp do you reckon i should go for ????

i was thinking around the 10HP as it'll only be broads but have read i should be going for more like 20HP

• Like 2

I go for a 20hp, then you,ll have enough grunt for against the tide if you venture Yarmouth  way....and you can go for a blast on braydon!, had a 50hp on a shetland 535, it shifted!!, but was thirsty so a twenty would be under less stress and not burn as much fuel as a 10 :wave

• Like 2

If you have the template you are halfway there. :)  Don't worry all the other bits just get sewing!

I'd say a 10hp is good enough for the broads and for the boat a 20 or 25hp should get planning and give you a bit ease of mind around the tidal bits but 10hp should suffice! 

Good luck again ;)

• Like 2

Anyone know how to make the table pls??

it's very similar to the baby shetland ie has a table that then makes part of the bed

I have the bit of wood but no fixings for it at all so not sure how they attach to the boat

if anyone has any ideas pls :)

Our Table is just 13mm ply wood with a 6mm oak laminate over top with some machined "p" section to cover the end grain.. A standard fixed table pole on one end and a bit of oak trim on the wall to hold that end up.. Simple but it desnt need to be to complex as it will either be up or down. cheers

• Like 1

post-656-0-88529400-1428513704_thumb.jpg

post-656-0-98171300-1428513596_thumb.jpg

post-656-0-14070900-1428513629_thumb.jpg

1st pic shows how bad it was

everything stripped off the boat and gave her a major colour restore and a good polish today.

popping into walker rubber in norwich friday to get new window rubbers

still hunting for an outboard with no joy

ideally i'd like a 4 stroke but everything i can find is 2 :/

away for the weekend so won't get much done but starting next week i'll give it another good polish and then start fitting things woo hoo

• Like 3

Looks like you have been busy. With regard to an Outboard maybe try Jon at Wayford Marine Services. I see him dabbling with them on here. Think this is the number to ring.   01692 582555....Look forward to the next update.

cheers Iain

Thanks Iain i'll give him a ring tomorrow.

Also does anyone know about canopy frames?

mines been made out of alluminimum and is about 1/2" thick

1 frame is fixed to the boat and the other frame is fixed onto that frame

the fixings have broken off on frame 2 though

popped into Jeckells but they couldn't help at all as they have nothing that small

plus the bits they have are 1 bit pocking out and i need 2

l;ove to know who made the frame or whether it is standard as i can't really get on with the hood til i get the frame sorted 

Hello Smitch,

Iain number for Jon at Wayford is correct, he more than likely will be able to steer you in right direction regarding the canopy.

It might be an idea to check out our link to marine service providers in our information pages, here is a shortcut link:-

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/87-services/

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Smitch,

If you phone Jon at Wayford Marine for an engine< don`t forget to ask him to service it so you know it`s a good runner. Also while you`re on the phone, you could always ask him if he`s got any bits and bobs you`re after knocking around, as often you find boatyards like Jons can be a real Aladins cave.

looks like i have found an outboard :D

Johnson 10hp 4 stroke 

Bloke has had it for 3 yrs and bought it from new and only used it a couple of times as it was too powerful.

even still has the manual etc for it 

i think it's a short shaft at present but he actually got a long shaft conversion with it when he bought it just in case which is handy harry lol  :Sailing

Now as it is tiller and my boat is remotes has anyone any idea how to convert it?

I think 1 of my cables will need replacing as the inner doesn't come out past the outer cable if that makes sense but that won't be too expensive.

i'm a happy chappy at the minute because this outboard is a real bargain from a genuine old timer :bow  at only £400 hehe

• Like 2

Congrats on finding the engine!

From what I understand from when I brought my last engine (which was a fair few years back now) is that not all engines allow for both tiler and remote operation. Some engines were sold as either tiller or remote although some old ones did allow both. So it's perhaps worth checking before you purchase if you require remotes. .I suspect the manual with it will advise and it should tell you how to change it over. it may just be a case of unscrewing a bit of the case. Again though I'm purely guessing.

It does sound like you need to change the cables. They aren't expensive and you should find one for less than £20.

cheers

• Like 1