Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

March every second year is for us one heck of a busy time. March 2015 was no exception as we took 'B.A' down to LBBy for her Bi-annual AMP (Assisted Maintenance Period)

We arrived at said location on 19th March and eventually departed 30th Mar. She was taken up on the slip into the shed for 6 days

There were many items on our two lists that have been running since her re-launch back in September 07.  We have an 'Upgrade' (Wish List) and a 'Maintenance' list.

The items on the maintenance list are ones that one would expect in running a classic wooden boat and are the perks of the issue.

The 'Upgrade' list is the one that gets personal and irks me no end - its expensive and never seems to get any smaller, in fact at this moment there are 23 items on the Upgrade list outstanding and 20 in the maintenance list, and that's after 11 x days hard labour incorporating open wallet surgery !!

One particular upgrade was to make new canopy battens for the wheelhouse,  the original ones were a tad short, did not sit well in their respective recesses and they were not uniform in the amount of arch or bend in them.

So having taken advice as to which timber to use - Douglass Fir was chosen  I cut this down to three strips, then using pegs/clamps on two long planks I laminated them together with just three holding screws in each batten.  This was repeated 7 x times, then each batten was 'fitted' or handed onto 'B.A', Heels were fashioned at the end of each batten.  6 x coats of satin varnish applied.  The results are the battens sit much better, we have gained one whole inch headroom (Most important)

Griff

post-65-0-16794100-1428647361_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The new battens meant of course that the current 'Top Gun' wheelhouse canopy would no longer fit properly.  It was getting tired and somewhat past.  It was also getting more and more difficult to deep clean as dirt/mould had got into the fibres and was a devil of a job to get out, so a change was needed.

Traditional vinyl was chosen - easier to keep clean with no weave/fibres for muck to work its way into.

'SnugTopz' (Richard) based at Brammerton was commissioned to make / fit 'B.A's new canopy.  Seeing as we were going for a change, we changed colour too and will now have to get used to her new striking livery.

Richard measured, made then fitted all on time and to a very good price.

We are well pleased with his standard of workmanship and would have no hesitation in recommending him

Griff

(Photo's to follow - got to dash out for my days toil)

• Like 7

The new canopy has slightly larger aft windows and a bar down the centre in line with the mast.  It utilizes the same fixings/fasteners as the previous one did

The price quoted was very competitive too.

Now all we have to do is look after it, gently washing followed by conditioning the vinyl with 'Armour All' will do the trick

Griff

post-65-0-72315000-1428705639_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-34766600-1428705688_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Of course with the canopy battens having a more pronounced arch the aft curtain that was made to measure will no longer fit properly.  I have to transfer the clips over from the original batten to the new one, then no doubt we will have to alter the curtain to suit, yet another job added onto our maintenance list then!

Griff

• Like 1

Another upgrade item was to fit polished s/steel spreader plates to the fwd and aft fairleads,

Herewith.

Photo 047 also shows another completed upgrade item - namely the polished s/steel runner on the top rubbing strip and around 3 x ft either side on the lower rubbing srip. Supplied by Norfolk Marine, we had to get LBBy's s/steel chappy to 'Make Good' the ends and the joint around the corners

Griff

post-65-0-83915600-1428706068_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-68111500-1428706121_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice it all looks too

Look forward to seeing her on the rivers again, she looked stunning last year when we passed each other.

I always have a soft spot for the traditional wooden boats, our very first hire was Brooms Navigator 2. I often wonder what happened to her.

cheersbar

As the diary stands at present I'm not due to be onboard til the end of July :shocked   That will have to change of course, between then and now she is due out just three times with Howard / Derrick

----------------------------

Another 'Upgrade' item was the fwd passageway.  Originally it was plywood painted then a carpet laid on top.  That piece of carpet gets renewed every year from off cuts despite regular hoovering / cleaning.  The plywood deck was in two parts - one of them being too big and unmanageable when one needed to check the bilge area.  The answer was to chuck out the carpet for good, along with the two pieces of plywood, cut back the ply to the bulkheads, fit new hardwood tops to the  original bearers.

Then carefully cut 18mm Holly and Teak to fit,  This time in three sections keeping the  'Tram'  lines set straight of course.  The H&T has a laminated back to it. After cutting I treated the cut edges to two coats of 'G4' in the normal manner.  Ring pulls now needed to be fitted, LBBy only had two matching brass uns, a trip to Norfolk Marine revealed they only had one suitable at a price of £24!  :shocked   Call to Bro' who at this stage was back home = internet sourced 3 x brass ring pulls arrived by post for a princely sum of less than £11 delivered including screws!  :clap    I ran out of time and only got one ring pull fitted which took me around 2 x hours with very careful use of my v.sharpened Marples chisels

The result is a much cleaner deck with easier maintenance keeping our Macie's dog hairs at bay

Griff

post-65-0-83380600-1428761946_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-68854000-1428762059_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It would be good if Griff could recount the story of the purchase and restoration of Broad Ambition for all of our new and seasoned forum members.

Regards

Alan

Blimey - That's some ask :eek:   It would take me an age and no doubt bore the pants of some members

(Mind you thinking about it now that might not be a bad idea with 'Some' members :naughty:  )

Griff

Oh and BTW - she is titled 'Broad Ambition'    -   not   -  Broad'S' Ambition !! :taunt:

Edited by BroadScot
S removed!
  • Like 1

Sigh - There's just now winning wi some folk.  It may surprise one to know that between now and then I have to try and earn some serious coinage!

As of yet we have not received LBBy's invoice and if MrsG gets to it when it arrives before I do . . . .   :hardhat:

Then there is our foreign holiday to finish paying for too (Which I might add I had no say in the matter either)

http://www.pinnacleyachts.co.uk/thalassa.html

AND we are to be made Grandparents for the first time come November - Sheesh

Anyroadup enough of all that.  Onwards and upwards in the normal manner then

Griff

• Like 6

This one was a 'Maintenance Item' the port quarter top rubbing strip was suffering, It had received quite a few dings over the years, water had got between the laminates ans started to rot like a cancer from the inside out.  The only real way to deal with it was to cut it back to solid oak then make a new piece to fit.  Our Russ got stuck into this one and did an amazing job that no professional could better  It was made up of 2 pieces of oak laminated together then cut, screwed / glued into place including returning round the stern on the transom too.  Well done Russ you did 'B.A' proud. If you look back to photo 047 you would be hard pressed to notice it - It's that good!

Griff

post-65-0-89397600-1428789519_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-40679300-1428789578_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-06518000-1428789670_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Maintenance List:-

Do you know who this is and what he is holding?

Well for those that don't this is 'Terry' - He is LBBy's boat building expert and the word expert would describe him very well.

He is holding a piece of genuine Burma Teak - the proper stuff, the verys same stuff that B.A's frames / Hull is constructed of - which is the clue / giveaway.

I carried out a full out of water survey to 'B.A's entire hull inch by inch as I do every two years.  There is no black magic or hidden secrets to surveying a wooden Hull.  The following tools are required:-

Port and Stbd lookouts (Eyes)

A fully operational 'Listen-out' (Ear)

Wood Chisel

Good bright floodlight (LED type is best)

Blunt end of said chisel (Handle)

Chalk

And off you go, it's a bit like wheeltapping for those that remember it only this is more like 'Knock on Wood'

Anyroadup 4 x small areas needed graving pieces fitting, 2 x areas needed short planks fitted,  some scarring along the water line needed attention

Griff

post-65-0-00380600-1428839823_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The said lump of teak installed, both areas were done in the same way, that is cut back to a rib, scarf the joints, fix using s/steel screws, / West system / Teak plugs, leave to cure, sand flat, primer, 2 x underwater primers and 2 x coats of anti-foul.

The Teak was sourced from a local supplier in Hoveton.  I was proper grateful we managed to get any at all, even if the price is somewhat guaranteed to shrink ones family vegetables !

Griff

post-65-0-13426000-1428840730_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-14672100-1428840831_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-11290600-1428840926_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Maintenance List:-

Cant Rails on the Port and Stbd,fwd and after coach house roofs.  The original one we fitted back in the restoration days were now past there best to such an extant we ended up painting over them.  In hindsight they weren't man enough and were easily susceptible to knocks, wear and tear and the like.

So off they came, I had taken up a large hardwood floor for a customer and managed to save most of the hardwood, no idea what type it was but was advised it would do the job and take varnish pretty well.  So on the circular saw I progressively shaped it incorporating a rain channel on the underside, followed by the belt and DA sander working down the grits as I went.  Fastened on using adhesive,  s/steel screws then cut and fitted wood plugs from the same timber.  Filling of the joint gap on the top, more sanding, painted the edge of the coach house roofs slightly over the joint, then 6 x coats of varnish.  Result - much better, larger, stronger and should last an age.

Griff

post-65-0-06633700-1428906879_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-74943500-1428906960_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-97486300-1428907066_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This one is on the 'Upgrade' list.

There is a long seat/step on the port side at knee level that runs along inside the bulkhead inboard of the sash side in the wheelhouse.  It was made from Plywood and fitted during our restoration period to replace the original.  It uses the original aluminium trim.  When we fitted it, it was supported by an oak batten underneath it with a frame from the deck in the middle of it.  It has come to light that it needed more support a the fwd end as it has a habit of getting stood on and it was flexing.  The solution was to fashion a hardwood knee brace and fit it underneath to give that extra support.  This was the last full job I started and finished whilst at LBBy in the shed on the slip.

Now this a perfect example as to why Broads boat yards have to charge the prices they do, why they sometimes find it difficult to justify the prices to customers and why those very same customers sometimes blink when they are given an invoice for work done to their boats.

That knee brace, made / supplied, fitted and varnished would set back a client over £200!!     and here's why.

The material content of the whole job would consist of - small piece of hardwood, Wood adhesive, four screws, sandpaper varying grades, Contact adhesive, 6 x coats of varnish varnish = around £10 ?

It took me around half an hour to fashion the brace out of an off cut of mahogony

It then took me three and a half hours to remove and refit the bulkhead with its assorted screws, remove the book case, the aft fire extinguisher, two 240v switches, the aluminium strip had to come off, some of the lino on top of the shelf had to be carefully peeled back. The oak batten had to be carefully trimmed back without removing it or damaging it. Then the brace was glued / screwed into place from the back of the bulkhead and down from the top under the lino, it was a pig of an awkward job.  So where are we?  - 4 x hrs. so far.  Then there is 6 x coats of varnish to apply say another hour including de-nibbing in between coats (Not including drying time) 5 x hrs at say £40 per  = £200 plus the £10 for materials = £210 for a little shelf support!

Thank goodness we are capable of doing these little jobs ourselves.  There is no way even Terry could have done it any quicker, mainly because he wouldn't know or be expected to know how that bulkhead is constructed or fastened into place - so it would have probably taken him another half hour on top of that,

Griff

post-65-0-49663100-1428944921_thumb.jpg

• Like 3