Broad Ambition - TLC Time Again

This is the section of rubbing strip that got side swiped / damaged by one of Richo's finest orange Bathtubs.

Can you see the repair?

No neither can I, not even close up.

I have to say the staff at Richo's were straight on it within 30 mins of us being on the hard stuff, no chasing up or prompting from me.  the staff from Moonfleet sorted it, a young chap named Lewis - a proper nice sort of a chap he is too.

Well done Rich'os yet again - Thanks

Griff

post-65-0-40813100-1437889557_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Looks a really good job. I am constantly amazed how practice changes. Back in the late 60s as a Mechanical Engineering Student we were lectured at length in metallurgy. Stainless below the waterline (especially in fresh water which is prone to stagnation) was an absolute design non starter due to :

"Oxygen Starvation" we were told, except in the case of shafts where numerous other trace elements were added to enable a relatively small diameter to cope with the torque.

Now it is used exclusively in top range outboards and saildrives below water.

I moved out of that branch of engineering some ten years later so what has changed I wonder.

• 1 month later...

Just had a maintenance weekend onboard 'B.A' in the shed, did not poke her nose out once.

Anyroadup got busy with all manner of items

67)    Fit damping system to internal sliding doors

76)    Fit suitable down-lighting LED’s for wheelhouse canopy (Stowed away when not in use)

89)   Apply varnish to 1/4 berth dressing strips and skirting in fwd passageway – 3 more coats needed

E5)   Sort out wet-shed locker

J5)    Remove oak dressing strips (5) on Fwd/Aft coach house roofs, replace with timber to match cant rail

J9)    Replace prematurely worn out fresh water pump - Final fix

K1)   Re-new carpets in Stbd fwd and double cabin

K3)   Sort out gas bubble tester fail for BSS – Sorted – valves on oven/grill

------------------------------------------

The most important item was bubble test that was showing one bubble approximately every 30 odd seconds.  After our administrations it is now showing no bubbles whatsoever no matter how long the tester is in operation  I can happily report today 7th Sept we were issued with our new BSS certificate - so can rest easy for another  four years

Areas were deep cleaned through.

Robin has finally cracked a few outstanding issues with the onboard alarm system, We are very impressed with it , It is a very capable system and a bit 'Clever'.  It would be foolish to post on an open forum what the system is capable of but please ask if you are considering fitting a system to your boat, so far it is highly recommended - Robin is your man on this one

We now 'Only' have around 17 items outstanding on the upgrade/wish list and another 8 on the maintenance list.  Onwards and upward then, I should get a couple ticked off this coming weekend

Griff

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We decided it was time to replace our mooring warps / lines / ropes.  The ones onboard are now around 9 years old, no end of washing doesn't get them back to their once pliable self.

So what to go for? after much pondering (Around 5 mins) we collectively decided on 8 x strand anchor plait 14mm, the pliable soft type in Navy blue.  The most economical way to buy this is on a full drum.  I needed 2 x headropes, 2 x stern ropes, 1 x mudweight and one spare for use as a breast / spring. That lot including the splicing would add up to around 55m.  The drum holds 100m, so we have a fair amount left over (More on  this later)

Griff

BA_NBN_147.JPG

Why 8 x strand Anchor Plait? - Well why not? and just to be a bit different I suppose.  I was advised by the rope manufacturer that it is easily strong enough for 'B.A's size / weight too.

So the rope arrived at my place.  I got set to to commence with a simple back splice, Simple did I say? well I mean just how difficult can it be? I mean to say I can splice just about owt, been doing it for years, have even done a eye splice in 3 x strand blindfolded once.  I mean I know it's 8 x strand but they are laid in pairs (That sounds a bit naughty) so just treat the rope as 4 x strand which is only just 1 x more than the standard three strand right?

WRONG, and then some

Griff

BA_NBN_148.JPG

After getting mightily brassed orf wi mysen it was onto YouTube for some instruction - Ahhhh I see (Said the blind man), Crown knot completed, ditch the youtube and onwards with the splicng.

Half an hour later back onto youtube with a proper red face for yet more instruction.

Chuffin 'Eck - Now I see why not many boats have this type of plait onboard, this was going to take me ages and ages to get the hang of it and I have 12 splices to complete :shocked

First step is to mark in pairs either two right OR two left hand paired plaits oppositely opposed - Ebay then for a pack of 'Sharpies'    In the photo you might just be able to make out the marked plaits

Griff

BA_NBN_149.JPG

Then tape them together and mark the tape for marked and unmarked pairs

It was whilst getting educated it became apparent I was going to need some more items to assist, back onto Ebay, this time for a 'Hot-Knife' a 'Fid' and a 14mm thimble 316 grade s/steel (For the mudweight shackle)

Griff

BA_NBN_152.JPG

By the time I had done 4 of these chuffin splice things I was getting proficient at it, in fact I am now as good as I will ever be, so I timed myself start to finish how long it takes to do just one splice

The fastest I managed it was one HOUR and Fifteen minutes :shocked  That did NOT include getting out the following tools:-  Hot knife,   sharp knife,   Scissors,   String,   Masking tape,   Marking pen,  Chopping board,   Fid,   and putting them away again afterwards.

I have now completed all twelve splices and If I never have to splice 8 x strand rope again it will be tooooo soooooon two guns

Now the best bit, I have around 46m left over rope. I bought it at a very good price, (Yes I know there is always a better deal somewhere or t'other) and the surplus is up for sale at the same price

£3:80 per metre plus the usual delivery charges, but free if you live near Donny or free if I am taking it down to the Broads area for meeting up etc  What will not be free I'm afraid is any splicing - I suggest you do it yourself or I can if begged / bribed at £10 per splice - sorry about that but it's not my favourite pastime, besides I have had to splash out on a hot-Kinfe and those thing aren't cheap either

Griff

• Like 5

Well done looks good, I had to learn when I was about 17 on the boats before the season started making ropes up (3 thread). Had a go a few years back and well I wouldn't have tied a rowing boat up with the loop I made. (lost it).

ps did the red come off the table top??