Sign in to follow this  
SPEEDTRIPLE

TRIPOD THREAD SIZE.

Hi all,

i`m in the middle of a little project, which i will post up on if it`s successful.

Does anybody know what the thread size is in the base of a camera body for mounting on a tripod?. They seem to be pretty much a standard size, and looks like a 6mm ish diameter coarse pitch thread, so if anybody knows, or can tell me where to find out, i`d be eternally grateful.

Regards and best wishes to all ........................ Neil.

Hi Neil.

Most consumer cameras are fitted with 1/4-20 UNC threads. Larger, professional cameras and lenses may be fitted with 3/8-16 UNC threads, plus a removable 1/4-20 UNC adapter, allowing them to be mounted on a tripod using either standard.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripod_%28photography%29(So may not be 100% correct :) ) I have no idea how to measure thread though so can't double check.

cheers

Thanks Alan.

We might have some nuts and bolts in the engineering department at work with that thread size, so i`l try and get a nut tomorrow.

I`ve got some 1/4 28 unf taps at work, but the thread on my tripod (i actually have 4 tripods) is a considerably more coarse one than them, so 1/4 20unc sounds about right.