Cheese & Bacon Toasties

Hi John,

That gives us food for thought, interesting using the bacon instead of bread to form the toastie.  

Cheese and bacon are amongst my favourite food groups, I think I would have added a bit of blue cheese and mustard in the mix to spice it up slightly.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now a good sandwich toaster is something I could do with. Had one years ago that I never replaced once it was disposed of for some reason I can't quite recall. Something else to look for when I next go shopping ...  :)

So..., challenge to all...

Where the hell can I get some good black pudding?

You know the stuff...

Black pudding that isn't (nor has ever been) wrapped in black plastic.

Black pudding that doesn't taste of MSG.

Black pudding that has been made... no... created by a butcher who knows what he's doing.

Well?

Anyone know?

You know the stuff...

Black pudding that has been made... no... created by a butcher who knows what he's doing.

Well?

Anyone know?

A butcher in Cromerty made it that way and use to post it out MM. I had it in a hotel in Fortrose.  The modern BP is done in the plastic sleave I believe for elf and safety issues because blood is used in the mixture.

I get a good spiced BP here in Troon, but its the modern fine mixture no big bits in it.

I think the one you are meaning was tied at the ends in a hoop with string?

cheers Iain

The best black pudding I have eaten recently was at a hotel we were staying in, on Madeira. Beautifully tasty, well seasoned and just as it should be, but served cold as part of a salad buffet, not warm as a breakfast ingredient. Strange, but I soon adapted and enjoyed it very much.

A sadder story un the UK. Especially in the South, where I have struggled to get proper BP. Waitrose sell what they claim to be Bury black pudding, but I don't find it remarkable and most of the other stuff you see is in a plastic skin.

The search goes on!

cheers

Steve

Black Pudding is not for me.

I am sure you will find a good local butchers that will supply B.P.

There is a great butchers in Alrewas (on the A38, the Trent & Mersey Canal goes through this picturesque village), we have called in there many times on our visits on the canal. The shop usually has a queue and their products are second to none, their speciality pies are delicious.

http://www.coatestraditionalbutchers.co.uk/index.html

More local I have heard very good reports of the butchers in Ludham.

Regards

Alan

Now a good sandwich toaster is something I could do with. Had one years ago that I never replaced once it was disposed of for some reason I can't quite recall. Something else to look for when I next go shopping ...  :)

Here you go, then.. onsale today!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-9-july/product-detail/ps/p/sandwich-toaster-2/

Bought a toasted sarnie thing earlier this year which you can use on the hob & it makes great mini toasted sandwiches whist afloat plus it doesn't make loads of mess!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have a reference, please? (And will it work on an electric hob?)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys, try the black pudding at the Hill Top Café on the road to Wroxham, gorgeous! and locally produced ( the chap who runs it reckoned you can see the piggies that it comes from out of the café window !)

4 hours ago, DaveB said:

hey guys, try the black pudding at the Hill Top Café on the road to Wroxham, gorgeous! and locally produced ( the chap who runs it reckoned you can see the piggies that it comes from out of the café window !)

Tell me more tell me more ! I have been searching high and low for really good black pudding.

Hi MM, i always miss it if I'm heading towards Wroxham from Norwich, it's easier if you're going towards Norwich it's on the right past the speed camera! 

A fried breakfast to die for and all local ingredients :-)

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 6:38 PM, MauriceMynah said:

You know the stuff...

Well?

Anyone know?

Calm down MM.

Not too far from you in Sorbo City there is a farm shop near Fairlop Station (Central Line) on Forest Road. Find it on Streetmap, they have some genuine black pudding. Also you can get it in the butchers in the Romford Market Place. Most decent butchers if asked politely will get it for you too.

Have you tried getting it on the Internet? There must be many artisan pud makers out there that will send you some. As you may know, there are many variants of black pud even abroad they make their own individual recipes.

However, despite being wrapped in plastic etc Tesco, Lidl and Aldi do some cracking Lancashire black pudding which is much to my liking.

There is a lovely little family butchers just outside Hutton that makes its own bangers etc, perhaps you could give them a try. I have never had their black pud but if their home made bangers are anything to go by it must be ok. Contact: www.oliversbutchers.co.uk/html/cooked_meats.html. I will be passing the shop next Friday and will buy some and give you my appraisal. They also do white pudding as do the Farm Shop and that is delicious too.

I have loved black pudding for as long as I can remember as my parents used to buy it. I did not know what it was made from but when I did know, nothing changed. I think it is delicious and really makes a cooked breakfast complete.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

MM.

Unfortunately I was unable today to visit Olivers at Hutton, however I did visit the farm shop at Forest Road near Fairlop Station and  unfortunately the black and white pudding they sell there is encased in plastic.

DO NOT DESPARE! I have just returned from Romford Market where there is an excellent butchers on the market place which is open every day (not sure about Sundays). I have just purchased there half a black pudding in the natural casing. I am sure that is what you are looking for.

Also, I spotted some very rustic home made faggots priced at £1.99 for six and they around tennis ball size. I bought them too and will have them with some lovely home made onion gravy, new potatoes and mixed veggies.

Unfortunately? There is a beer feshtival at the Wethershpoonshh In Womford  sho I hop you will appreshiate the lenghthsh I have gone to to shatishfy your craving for real black pud.  

• Like 1