Exhaust silencer / muffler needed

Hi all,

Before I go and part with my hard earned cash at one of the online shops I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has what we need and is willing to sell.

We are after a muffler to fit to our exhaust system. Currently has a length of 45mm exhaust hose straight through to the exhaust outlet which at present is quite noisy. The engine is a Volvo Penta MD11c raw water cooled.

If anyone has anything that would fit the bill please let us know

cheers

Steve & Deb :)

Sunday 5 July 2015. Titchfield Boat Jumble. Open 10:00. Hound Hill Farm, Segensworth Road, Titchfield, FAREHAM, Hampshire, PO15 5DY. Junction 9 M27.  Maybe worth waiting for Steve.. I guess this is close to you.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy

Here's my ignorance and lack of knowledge showing again.

Will that do the same sort of thing to quieten down the exhaust noise Andy or should I have both a waterlock and muffler. I only ask as I've seen a few diagrams on boat exhaust systems with 3 bits in, I think the 3rd was called a goose neck.

Lady Patricia is a Norman 24 narrow beam so space is not plentiful ;)

cheers

You really only need one silencer. We use a waterlock type unit on most of  the boats. In fairness, a wet exhaust goes a long way in itself to quieten the engine. 

The unit I mention has just been installed in Absolute Freedom, for instance. I have to be honest and say that the Vetus waterlock silencers are superior, if only in the fact that they have a rotating input spiggot which can make installation simpler, but they are more than double the price. 

You can also get fibreglass units which will better withstand being overheated, but the cost is greater again. These plastic waterlocks will not withstand being overheated for too long, but then again, neither will many exhaust hoses. 

• Like 3