What time to leave?

Alan

Apologies, should have said high tide at Yarmouth. The boat is Richardsons San Elena with 6' 10'' air draft. Basically, I need to know the travelling time from Oulton Broad to Yarmouth with an incoming tide.

Apologies, should have said high tide at Yarmouth. The boat is Richardsons San Elena with 6' 10'' air draft. Basically, I need to know the travelling time from Oulton Broad to Yarmouth with an incoming tide.

Why would you wish to fight a flooding tide, Alan?

We leave Oulton Broad and take the EBB to Gt Yarmouth to arrive there at LW + 1.30 (Slack Water, GY). So I leave OB about 3hrs30mins before that.That way I can set revs for about 4-5mph and have a ground-speed of 6mph (when allowed).

So, if LW GY is, say 15.00, I'd want to get to GY at 16.30; so I'd leave OB at 13.00.

• Like 1

Might be best to say which day you want to cross Breydon, from Oulton Broad, then someone will give you the best time to leave, and also a best guess for arrival time at Stokesby.

I just found this travel time guide.

If you look on our information pages you will see a couple of journey time guides we already have on the forum, you can view or download these files.

Regards

Alan

If you HAVE to push the tide, then i`d definitely leave as early as possible. If HW is at 2.30ish, try to get away before 09.00.  That will allow you around 5 1/2 hours which see you reach GY before HW, so you can at least take the last of the flood up to Stokesby.

From experience, Stokesby can be full quite early, so if you go through GY at around 1.30ish, you`ll have plenty of time to go further up river if you have to.

I do see peoples point re running with the ebb, but sometimes that just is`nt an option, and you just have to get on with things.

We`ve often pushed the tide on the Yare and Waveney having come down the Bure on the ebb, which though laborious, is`nt as bad as is often portrayed. Just don`t plan to get anyway way upstream.

• Like 1

The reason for all the questions is simple - no one uses high tide unless you have hired a submarine!

Most hirer's would tell you to go at slackwater

Which is why I asked the question in the beginning - to make sure I hit Yarmouth a couple of hours before high tide.

Sorry Alan, it's as clear as mud to me

Is there some special reason why you want to arrive at Yarmouth as the bridge clearances head towards minimum?

Or is it that you wish to leave OB at a particular time and want to know you will actually get under the bridges

Everyone will stilladvise using low slack water as the safest and most sensible option 

• Like 1

Which is why I asked the question in the beginning - to make sure I hit Yarmouth a couple of hours before high tide.

Alan as alexandlorna said why would you possibly want to make Great Yarmouth with bridge clearances approaching or at the minimum clearance for that tide? Or are you after trying to make the news?

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

I understand the problem here, it's something that happens from time to time. You want to know the answer to a fairly simple question but people get so tied up with the why's and wherefore's they forget the question you wanted the answer to!

Punching the tide is expensive on fuel and thus is best avoided. People on here were trying so hard to find ways of your avoiding it they forgot to ask you if that was an option.

If I assume that you will be at Oulton Broad the previous night and want to spend the next night at Stokesby, and that the tides are unfriendly for that journey.

Under those conditions I would agree that your best bet is to leave Oulton Broad as early as possible, even at first light if that is an option. How many helmspersons will you have on board? you might need a break from time to time.

Does that help you at all?  The more details you can give us the better able to assist with accurate information we shall be.

• Like 2

OK, what I thought was a simple question was obviously not and seems to have confused everybody apart from Speedtriple (and LadyPatricia and MauriceMynah who both posted while I was typing!).

Since 1976, we have worked out where we want to go on our very short time of 7 days on the Broads. That will depend on who we are with and their ages and where we don't seem to have been for a long while. That itinerary is not worked out by the tides at Great Yarmouth apart from working out whether there will be plenty of room under the bridges and, obviously keeping as far away from high tide as possible.

On the Wednesday we will be moored at Oulton Broad and on Thursday we will be heading for Stokesby. High water is at 2.32pm. I'm no King Canute hence the question of what time should I leave to get under the Yarmouth bridges with plenty of room. I am well aware of the "best" time to go through but that is not always possible.

So, alexandlorna, no, I am not timing it to arrive at high water and Hockham Admiral, why would you be sorry you asked? You asked why I would be fighting a flood tide and I explained.