Where to north?

Guest plesbit

Just curious - where can sea going venturer's actually go when they take their boats off the broads?

No, I am not planning any sea trips, either now or in the future, but I am curious because there are plenty of sea going boats around. A lot of other river systems are close to one another, or have large estuary areas for people to mosey about in with inlets all over the place, and short coastal hops possible. The broads seems very remote and cut off from any other areas so I can't help wondering what the folk with sea going boats do with them?

Obviously there is the Orwell, but that's like 4hrs away. A 4hr offshore cruise is a heck of a commitment and requires appropriate planning. It's also not a day trip, or even a weekend trip.

And what about going north instead of south - what is north of the broads, in terms of coastal cruising, and how long would it take to get anywhere (obviously you'll get to The Wash eventually)....

Well I know some people who will go to Southwold and others who won't. It's obviously a mixed bag as far as mariners go. However, with the limited speed and capability of our craft it would be an obvious first choice - obvious at least if it was relatively easy to do (i.e. if it requires really careful and experienced skippering then it's not the choice for first timers).

Theres a couple of rivers south of us which are in easy reach but if you want to explore north then it's the Wash and north Norfolk and south Lincolnshire rivers and drains, Boston, Lincoln and such, then apart from a couple of tiny drying places like Gib point, Anderby Creek and Saltfleet it's on to that most delightful of Rivers, the Humber and access to the Yorkshire rivers or go straight past to Whitby then Alnwick is nice, the Firth of Forth then up to Aberdeen, Peterhead and Buckie.

But most of that is a lengthy cruise better suited to a passage making Yacht with a good crew and a locker full of Pro Plus :D

Frankly it's quicker and you get more choice if you just head across to Belgium & Holland (4 to 6 hours on a good day) Or buy a trailer boat, something that, oddly enough I quite miss not having as an option.

How do I find my safe un refueled Range, Tank is now 65 gallons so -20% = 52 gallons and cruising is 22-23 knots but I cant get figures, is there a reliable way of working out what my fuel burn will be at 3500 revs, max is given at 4400-4800 but have only managed 4300rpm according to the rev counters this gives 32-38 knots dependent on conditions.

Previous owner said that he burned about 10 gallons per hour at cruising but that sounds a little light, the surveyor estimated it at more like 12-14 gallons per hour.

Engines are 135hp 3 litre 4 cylinder petrol Mercruisers.

I can get 4 x 20 litre jerry cans securly in the anchor locker so refuling on the go is possible but would'nt really fancy messing with petrol out at sea.

Ian

13 gallons in 12 hours at 5mph? According to some site I just found that's about 60 litres. We took Silver Dream from Brundall to the northern broads and went from pillar to post for 10 days and then back to Brundall and only used about 70 litres on the entire trip. That included a run from Horning back to Great Yarmouth to find we couldn't get under the bridge, then a run back to Ludham and a continuation of the holiday - so 8 hours just in that one day.

Perhaps those old Volvo's aren't quite as thirsty as I thought they were!

We work on a gallon an hour Simon, is obviously better if you time your runs to go with the flow but have not seen better than 3.5 litres an hour, thats running with the tides at tickover. I did'nt think that was bad value but remembering it is petrol that averages at £5 an hour.

Ian

I am truly stunned. To think that you and Brian could be using the same amount of fuel in 12 hrs cruising at the speed limits that we did in 10 days (with at least 30-40hrs motoring and two crossing's of Breydon at high revs) is scary. Still, the price differential will soon be reversed, even if the fuel consumption is still in our favour.

• 3 months later...

A couple of shots at Wells which now has all tide state floating pontoons, so a viable trip now for a weekend. Settled weather a must I would not try it with anything with a North or East in it. Book moorings ahead and if you pre arrange and call up the harbour master he will come out to meet you and guide you in. There is a bar at Wells entrance and this is best crossed somewhere near high water. The channel into the harbour dries at LW and is quite narrow, advice is to keep as far to port as possible and follow the winding channel. Wells is a quaint unspoilt Fishing Port with some great Fish & Chips to be had. If you are bothered about the entrance have a run up in the car for a look and a chat with the Harbour Master.

One shot of the entrance to Southwold; entry not recommended when wind has much East in it and any strength as the entrance can be 'interesting' in these conditions. Best entrance time is at slack water or just into flood. Ebb is very strong here up to 6 knts on spring. A genuine 6knts rather than imagined, when you consider the Bure at Yarmouth at 'full chat' at MHWS is just over 3 knts the ebb at Southwold is something to be respected.

In the photo the Harbour entrance is just behind, when you pass the 'Knuckle' on the Starboard side keep well over to the starboard wall until you reach the Coastguard Station that can be seen further up river and then move back toward the centre of the river.

post-79-136713388808_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713388814_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713388821_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713388828_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Perry very interesting, what sort of distance do you actually cover up to wells, read that there were now all states floating pontoons in Anglia afloat and it instantly apealed as a possible destination but at £50-60 per hour carefull consideration has to be given to how long the journey is going to take.

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Talking of Wells the Broads based 'Saltsiders' may soon have an all tide destination by turning to port exiting to sea.

http://www.wellsharbour.co.uk/news.htm

Nice to see Goodchild building the dredger.

The intention is create and maintain a channel with a minimum 1m depth during neap tides from the harbour entrance to new pontoons to be constructed at the north end of beach bank, so that windfarm crew boats can access the harbour as required. Rather than actually 'dredging' as such, the excavator will be moving material to one side to deepen the existing channel.