To all Newbies (Private & Hire)

Gracie

Yes Andy, I do agree, they can be a bit over zealous at times, I remember once we were practically hugging the reeds at a snails pace and a day boat overtook us on the INSIDE and one nearly crashed head on into us coming up on the wrong side of the river, a few choice words from my husband put them straight though lol

Ray, I am practically suicidal on the last night of our holiday, you will often hear the boys ask why mummy has chained herself to the bow rails and drinking all that wine , I tell them the chains are so I can stay aboard for as long as possible and the wine to numb the pain :naughty: :naughty:

Thank you all once again for your lovely comments, another bit of advice for newbies browsing the Forums and thinking about joining, join this one there are some pretty nice people on here :clap

Grace

• Like 4

Hi Jean,

I don't have a problem regarding which side of the road I should be on. The main problem I have always had since our first boating holiday in 1974 is coping with the increase in speed on the journey home and the slight motion sickness problems that most of us get for having time on the water. The feeling that you are still rocking with the boat only lasts a couple of days and is a reminder that you actually did spend some time on the water.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Oh yes, I've had that feeling as well Alan. And hubby always remarks how strange it is to get back to driving at 30mph as soon as we leave the boatyard. This year for example we were going over the Postwick Viaduct within ten minutes probably of leaving Swancraft. Now by river that would probably be 90 minutes?

I always joke when I get back to work that my brain is still going at 4mph so they'd better not expect me to make any quick decisions.  :)

Jean.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice post, Gracie - couldn't agree more :-)

If Sailys give you the willies, perhaps you and Hubby could come for a spin one day and I'll show you why we wiggle about (and one or two other things we do which seem to spook other river users).

Hopefully explanations help harmony....

One thing I discovered is that a bowsprit looks very different depending where you're sitting...

When it's aimed at you it's the scariest bit of stick in the world, but when you're sitting behind one (like I do) it's the most fragile little toothpick ever, and just trying desperately not to be snapped off.....

Saily :-)

• Like 2

:shocked  :norty:  :norty:  :smiley-angry047:

I'm shocked at this thread.. Grace clearly wrote this when I was on holiday and having a nightmare of a time.. So please ignore Grace she was clearly down the pub wasted :wasted:.. the broads are terrible..honestly stay away!!! Don't do it.. Benidorm is the place to be.. or a caravan in camber sands for £14k :huh: is what you want to do.. or a tent somewhere.. hmm a nice tent.. do not come to the broads. It's far too overcrowded for anymore more.. it always rains and the southern bit .. geez the southern bit.. you will die..

P.s If you really do have to, please visit the northern broads only...  and in august...

:coat:

P.s... I agree with everything she wrote... (before she kills me!).. It's an amazing place with 99.9% amazing people! See you there soon..  :party:

• Like 6

Well, I'm trying to resist the urge to post so much, after reading Jaws post I couldn't resist any longer lol

Listen everyone, please take no notice of our Jaws, you will find that the Southern Broads are very beautiful  ANY time of the year, a place I think you'll find of particular interest and beauty is Somerleyton on the Southern Broads where you will have no trouble with Dragons or anyone eating babies, so please flock there in your thousands and enjoy :naughty:

Saily, thank you for your very kind offer, I have nothing against Saily types and think they are a thing of beauty when in sail, but they put the fear of god in my when trying to navigate past them lol, a very warm welcome to the Forum by the way :wave

Grace

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind welcome :-)

If it's any consolation, sailing puts the fear of G in me too....except when the wind is too light, when it's booooorrriiiinnnngggg....

At least you folks have reverse, and steering you can make work by squirting a bit of forwards....

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks works for me!

Firstly  :wave and :welcome: from me saily.. Are you southern based? I've seen a simular boat to yours near the WRC (and I've got some pictures if it's yourselves :)

Secondly.. Gracie.. There are dragons here.. hundreds of them in and near Norwich.. (but they are harmless).. Not sure on the baby eating bits but probably!  Everyone please feel free to visit somerleyton.. we have a nice peaceful secure mooring nearby!! and the pub all we have to do is mention "marina" and we get a table guaranteed (or just luck last time lol!).. It is a brilliant pub and lovely little village so worth a stop off cheers.

Very grateful for all the warm welcomes - usual story here of course; been lurking for some time and also present on a number of other fora (forums?).

Only have 2 ground rules: if you can't say nice things keep quiet (but forgiven for breaking this if someone else is rude first), and I can't be done with inter-forum slagging of any sort, so please Mods if you ever catch me doing that just close my account :smile:

Always happy to get copies of pics (isn't it the same for everyone? - you can snap other folks but getting pics of yourself afloat is tricky) and we did pass WRC a couple of weeks ago, each side of a visit to the Geldeston Locks.

Must say I've heard some pleasing reports about the catering at WRC recently, which is nice - last time I ate there was about 4 years ago and deeply regretted not have some gruel and dripping on board.  Not in the least bit good, but seems things are much better now - well done WRC  :smile:

Also heard encouraging stories about similar improvements at Reedham Ferry Inn, which I used to love until an unfortunate meal about 5 years ago.  Must try it again now the  reports are excellent.

edit to add: While I'm recommending - The Pleasureboat at Hickling and Nelson Head at Horsey are always good, the Duke's Head at Somerleyton has never put a foot wrong for us, The Bell at St Olaves was great on a recent visit, the King's Head in Coltishall is very good indeed and the Rising Sun has also improved out of all recognition in the last year or so.  Our current top recommendation is the White Horse in Neatishead :-) end of edit.

.....hic.

We try to get around but time is against while still tied to earning a crust, but based in Ludham, not darn sarf.  Enjoy the different aspects of both ends, but Rosie Lee's breakfast and friendly welcome in Loddon is almost worth the trek by itself!

Count it successful if we can 'catch' all ends every 2-3 years - so far have only managed Geldeston, Coltishall, Horsey, Hickling and Catfield this year but last year we got Loddon, Oulton Broad, Dilham, Sutton & Stalham and '13 added Horstead, and New Mills.

Oh Yes, and I talk too much :smile:

• Like 2

Hi Saily and welcome to the NBN Forum  :wave   I haven't closed an account, ....yet :norty:  :naughty:  and I think you would have to have done something very bad indeed.  :River Police

As for talking too much, sorry we have a very young lady on here who when she is in full flow on her high heels, can keep up with the best of them. I am sure you know who I mean :naughty: when you have been lurking. Enjoy the forum. :)

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Hi Saily,

The WRC does do good food. I must admit the decor is a bit weird imho?! I haven't been to the ferry inn at reedham for years.. :(

See attached, Is this you? (Sadly the cloud cover was a bit heavy for brilliant pictures but perhaps if I make greyscale they would look good.).. It looks a similar rig to your profile picture. This was end of may though.. this boat looked amazing coming down the river though.. Always a nice sight to see :)

cheers

post-28066-0-41553200-1438807473_thumb.j

Thank you Spider, very kind :smile:

No Jaws, 403 is May - a lovely boat with extremely nice crew - we share the same handicap but they run rings round us most of the time (strike that; all the time).

Similar rig with integral topsail (not a separate topsail as is traditional) - makes for fewer strings but means you always have the topsail flying, which isn't always a good thing.

Don't start me on handicaps.... :smile:

• Like 1

Golf - a good walk spoilt, so somebody once said.

Why don't they make the holes bigger and closer together?

(Probably for the same reason sailys don't start the engine when the wind's against them)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Probably for the same reason sailys don't start the engine when the wind's against them)

Sailey, Hello from us.... Just caught your comment above and I have to contradict you a bit as our old Freeward 30, at 7+ tons, needed just that if we were to get across the North Sea in under 30 hours when going to windward!

Friday Girl.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have to say in the 4 years me my wife and kids have been visiting the broads we have met only nice helpful people even the private owner bloke last year at neatishead when my wife was making a mess of a stern mooring next to him after a little chat he could see we were there for the love of the broads and our family's had tea together 

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

My Wife and i came to the Norfolk Broads for the first time last May , we became hooked , everybody we spoke to was friendly , we had complete strangers offering help when we were mooring up with them saying things like " throw us a line there mate " or  throw a line we'll help you out " so in the spirit of those who helped us,  my wife and i found we were doing exactly the same, don't be worried , Hire or buy get on the Broads , you'll love it .  cheers

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 19 July 2015 at 1:26 AM, Gracie said:

Sorry, I don't mean to drag this out but one of the very first memories from childhood was sitting on my  dad's lap 'driving the boat' at about the age of six and people waving, just generally being friendly, I remember thinking then that this is a fantastic place to be, we had been on the usual bucket and spade type of holidays, although it was nice, people just seemed to be different on a Boat, The very first Boat I can recall was Gold Gem (a right old wreck she was) but I loved her and from that moment on have loved everything Broadland.

Since then I have grown up, married and had two wonderful sons of my own who love going on a Boating holiday just as much as i did then, I do not see things through rose coloured spectacles (I think that's the saying lol) and know that things can go wrong and people can have accidents, Boats get damaged and unfortunately people can drown but planes crash and people fall off of balconies in Ibiza. I try and teach my boys to be sensible, always wear life jackets and be respectful of ALL other river users, things my dad taught me and i like to think with that kind of teaching, how can you go wrong. It really is just a wonderful place to be

Grace

p.s The only problem I have is the Sailie Types, they really should try and cruise in a straight line instead of putting the fear of god in me :naughty:

Hi Grace we've done all sorts of holidays but boating on the broads has contaminated my blood and I'm completely hooked, there is truly nowhere else.

Andy

• Like 1