Brooms Bolero

Hylander

Has anyone hired Bolero from Brooms please?   I have seen good and bad reviews (not always reliable) but would welcome anyone on here who has actually hired the boat lately to tell me how they felt and did they enjoy their holiday.

I forgot to add that I have been trying to find a contact number where I can speak to the Company itself regarding a potential hire next year, but there is no number given, you seem to have to go through Hoseasons.     I would rather speak to them directly myself rather speak to a call centre at Hoseasons.   I think you get a more personal service that way.   Even if at the end of the day we would have to hire through Hoseasons,  it would be good to speak to them before hand.

Hi Monica,

If you call in at the the fuel station or call in at reception someone will show you around their hireboats which are moored next to the fuel station when they are in.

When we went to the Broom's open day earlier in the year we went on a factory four and a short trip on one of the latest of their hire craft. The smallest is ideal for a couple and are very well appointed.

Regards

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a nice boat, but I can't say I'm a fan of the flooring and why are all the new boats designed with the steering position set so far back from the windscreen? I would have thought this could cause visibiility problems - a bit like driving a car from the back seat.

• Like 2

Looks like a nice boat, but I can't say I'm a fan of the flooring and why are all the new boats designed with the steering position set so far back from the windscreen? I would have thought this could cause visibiility problems - a bit like driving a car from the back seat.

Probably so that heavy-breathers don't fog up the windscreen?  :shocked:shocked

I like the boat - it’s not a new design by any means, but has been ‘refreshed’ by Broom and the interior very much in keeping with their larger more expensive boats.  I like the flooring, for at least it is not just some more Holly and Teak that has become so prevalent in hire boats.  It seems very airy and light too.

What I think is an issue is the bonded glass – this can look very sleep outside (and to a degree inside too) so long as you don’t actually need to have any windows opening and since you can’t have onboard climate  control on this boat (or at this price) you need some windows to open.

The only way that is possible is with the smaller opening inserts into the main body of bonded glass and this is where things get a little less sleek in terms of looks, but Broom seem to have done well in keeping the opening windows that little bit larger. For the top class fit out and smart appearance your be hard pushed to beat it.  

Saying this, it goes to show how close on fit out and feel Richardson’s have come with their Broadway boat, which also feature the same bonded glass and high quality fit and finishes but gains with a proper sized hob and oven.

Edited by LondonRascal

Look at the price of it too. £1,000 ish for a week in summer for 2, and that`s without the customary (hidden?) add ons.  You could buy a share in a syndicate boat for around £4-5,000 and pay less than a weeks hire per year maintainance, and get 4 weeks for the privilage. Cheaper than buying a used car too.

• Like 1

Hi Neil, 

There wouldn't be shares available in Lightning by any chance:naughty:

You are correct of course and I am surprised that more syndicates for boats are not being formed on the Norfolk Broads, we see reports of people hiring two or three times a year.

We were thinking of Hiring on the Caledonia Canal a couple of years ago in May and a Birchwood 340 similar to Ranworth Breeze was £1650 per week plus the usual average £400 add on's by Le Boat, Because there were three couples we needed a six berth plus! and at £4000 for a week we ended up hiring a Narrow Boat on the Scottish Canals at less than half that cost.

All in all the Broads offers cheaper boating, be it private, syndicate or hired.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Syndicate boating certainly works for us.  We know exactly where everything is and how she handles.  At the moment we get eight weeks a year for the cost of three weeks hiring the likes of the Broom under discussion.  Obviously the cost of the shares has to be 'forgotten' but as the interest on any savings is so dire at the moment, we have decided to enjoy it while we are fit and able enough to do so.

SueH

• Like 1

The Broom boat in question certainly looks good, and will go under all bridges, most at ahw. I do think the inside is a bit plain though with very little colour, and think they could have done better. However, it IS very light and airy, and an ideal boat for 2. I think the jury`s still out on the black window frames though.

As for the cost and benefits of buying into a syndicate, i agree, why do people who regularly hire, and are very competent at boat handling, not consider doing so.

As Alan (Ranworth Breeze) rightly says, there are several people on this forum who hire sometimes 3 times a year, so why pay ever increasing hire fees when you can buy into a syndicate, and once you have bought the share (a lot less than a cheap used car), each share of the annual maintainace charge is around the cost of ONE weeks hire.

I think many of the hire yards with skilled and qualified  boat builders and engineers are missing a trick here, because looking after a syndicate boat will be payed for by the owners, and not out of their own accounts.

There is a definite shortage of smaller syndicate boats around, the only one i know of is Gooseander, a 2 berth Alpha 29, so if someone like Brooms were to introduce a couple of the boats in this thread, i think they would be taken up pretty quickly.

Anyway,  sincerest apollogies for hijacking this thread people.

Hi Matt,

That`s very interresting, because when we were on Lightning a couple of months back, i asked the engineer about the hirefleet, and he said they won`t be adding any new low level or single level designs to the fleet, although they were considering having one more of the Bolero class.

I think it`s a bit short sighted to restrict a fleet to mainly high top designs, as it severely limits cruising options, especially if low water slack is in the hours of darkness.

As Alan said take a trip to Brooms and call in the office and have a look,we always call in to top up for water,fuel and gas,they are a friendly bunch.I am sure they would be happy to help,they used to have a offer,not sure if they still do if you hire a boat from them,then you go on to buy they will give you the cost of the holiday back!

Ian:Stinky

When I was shown round a couple of their boats a few years ago I thought they looked a lot nicer than your average hire boat but I am not a lover of the old style design of hire boats. 

They looked smart anyway imho. 

Dont forget not everyone wants to hire the same boat from the same yard year after year so a syndicate boat may not do it for them. They also might not be able to get leave at the right time or plan to go back year after year.  I agree it works out cheaper if you do same as compared to owning. 

Some people might also look at them and go - that looks like a proper boat, I want to drive that. And not consider the other aspects. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We've hired several times from Broom. The boats are lovely, very clean and  well maintained. Service is always good and they always remember us when we return, which we frequently have. The Captain especially  is very comfortable for 2 and something of a head turner. The only disadvantage is that the comfort means a sacrifice of not being able to get under lower bridges, and we've never yet managed to get under Ludham bridge, although it will go under at a very low tide (apparently).

We have nothing but good to say about Broom.

:clap

• Like 2

Hi Hylander

We've seen this boat a few times both last year and in April, looks good but could not see inside because the windows are very dark.  I'm not a big fan of darkened windows either on boats or cars and I am also not sure about these bonded black frames.

It looks the same size as Gala Girl and Royall Velvet, I just wish that some of the Northern yards would buy one or two rather than continue to build large boats more suited to 4 or 6 people than 2.

• Like 1