Boat pricing

webntweb

We are on our shared boat Lightning on the 26th September for a week.

Just as a matter of interest I looked for the hire price of her sister ship Beam of Light (both were originally built by Brooms for their hire fleet). Beam of Light is already booked for the 26th so no price was showing.

The previous week was £1,529 and the week after £878. This seems too much of a difference especially seeing that neither week are either a bank holiday or school holiday week.

Roy

Part of my holiday was the hours spent leafing through the brochures and comparing boats, layouts, prices etc.

To me this is one area where online is extremely cumbersome compared with the previous method.

I wonder whether this is part of the reason why smaller boatyards are finding it harder to stay in business. The big boys can afford smart websites with probably more details and pics of their craft (although these are still not always easy to find), whereas the small yards probably find that a website eats up a bigger percentage of their profits.

The brochures gave a much more even playing field to the smaller yards.

Roy

All schools can now set their own holiday dates rather than the old practice of local authority schools  being off at the same time.

Some people hope that this will have the affect of reducing the price surge when children are expected to be on holiday, I suspect however that it will result in a much extended peak holiday period that the holiday companys can exploit.

Think you have got it spot on Heron. I followed Maxwellians lead and looked up next year and the three weeks after the school holidays are priced at only a few pounds less.

Boatyards could end up with a lot of boats sat in their yards for those weeks.

Roy

I often wonder at the price of a holiday in the UK at any time of the year. I am off to Malta tomorrow for 7 days all inclusive at £350. it was there at 30degrees or a week in Wales self catering for £800 in a cottage and almost definitely cold and wet. Sometimes it is difficult to be patriotic weather doesn't help either.

• Like 2

I often wonder at the price of a holiday in the UK at any time of the year. I am off to Malta tomorrow for 7 days all inclusive at £350. it was there at 30degrees or a week in Wales self catering for £800 in a cottage and almost definitely cold and wet. 

You won't get lamb & leeks in Malta, Stuart!  :shocked  :shocked  :shocked

• Like 1

We are on our shared boat Lightning on the 26th September for a week.

Roy

Roy, hi.

I don't know what your plans are for the week but the slack water times at GHYS don't look good for the North.

If you could make Reedham on the 26th then it would be a following tide up the Waveney to the WRC on Sunday morning. There you'll meet at least a couple of boats flying the NBN Burgee (and you can get one yourself directly from me!).

We're then going to Oulton Broad on Monday morning and will be there until Wednesday morning and then Loddon Wednesday late morning. Perhaps see you sometime?   :wave

I'm off for a few days solo camping afloat this weekend. For some reason my wife has elected to stay at home. Must be the weather! Stuart is right on the money with this one.

Where are you heading, Peter? We'll keep an eye out for you.

Hi John,

Thought of going North but no low water convenient for the return journey.

Not sure where we are going this time as we have one couple with us for a few days then a change of half the crew – still working on the logistics.

We will probably get to both Oulton and Loddon during the week so will keep an eye out for you. If you spot us give us a wave.

Roy

per adult flying from Luton. . 

That's hardly a great comparison then. 2 people is £700. You have the cost of your journey to Luton and/or car parking plus entertainment whilst there. 

£700 (and less) buys you a quite a lot of broads boating holiday at this time of year and, no matter where you go, the weather is anything but guaranteed. 

• Like 3

We are incredibly lucky living by the Broads, we have our playground on our doorstep, and we also have Norwich Airport. Like Alan I'm not a great fan of airports and their associated rubbish but Norwich is a real pleasure to use and, for example, Ibiza in the Autumn is a joy, Costwise, in a half reasonable hotel, we spend about a thousand for a fortnight's holiday, don't suppose cost comparison is the issue though. Swimming in the Med late September, sat in a beach-side pub in the evening, sea trips during the day, quaint streets and shops with unreal end of season bargains, fishing in the morning, long walks along the foreshore in the afternoon, sunbathing and time to read a book . . . . . . . . . . . where's my passport? 

Looking across Oulton Broad this morning, just perfect, so why would anyone want to go abroad? I don't, not really. 

• Like 3

I have Prestwick Airport close by, but for us folks up North we have to pay up to an extra £ 60-100 per person for trips to the Med. With diesel prices now cheaper than petrol, my drive next month will be approx £40 cheaper than it was two years ago. So as much as I like Palma Nova, and I would avoid the treck at Palma Airport as I would get assisted passage there - no walking - my drive to Norfolk and boat hire with thanks to Richos discount my holiday next month is a very good deal indeed. As for the weather, you dress accordingly!

cheersIain

• Like 3