Berney Arms

RayandCarole

What would be good would be that the pub makes it known when they are open , more people would take the boat out there if they knew they were going to find a going concern.   It can be a bit of a bleak place if you trundle all that way to find that the place is closed on your arrival.   

If they were members on here or elsewhere on forums that would be a good base to attract folk.

• Like 1

What would be good would be that the pub makes it known when they are open , more people would take the boat out there if they knew they were going to find a going concern.   It can be a bit of a bleak place if you trundle all that way to find that the place is closed on your arrival.   

If they were members on here or elsewhere on forums that would be a good base to attract folk.

If anyone is looking to make the trip to The Berney and want to make sure the pub will be open, then the number is 01493 700243. It's also worth noting that whilst The Berney feels a million miles from anywhere, it is actually not that far from another pub that has as good a view outside and that is The Fishermans Inn near Goodchild Marine. A problem to get to if you have walked or got the train to The Berney only to find it closed, but no problem for us boaters. The bleakness of that area can sometimes be its attraction as well. Nothing better than a slow cruise back and forth across Breydon in the middle of December, all wrapped up and the roof down.

There are no problems, only solutions.

• Like 4

I can certainly recommend doing the trip by train. You can hop on anywhere along the Norwich to Yarmouth line. We did the trip from Reedham, one way, and then walked back which only cost us £2.40 each for the train fare, but return fares were quite reasonable.

It seems a shame that the mill isn't open these days as I'm sure that would attract more visitors to the pub too. What is the current situation with that? The English heritage website seems to indicate that it is open only to groups by arrangement. I would love to have had a look round when we visited a few weeks ago but I suppose it's a problem of getting volunteers out there to man the place.

Carol

• Like 4

The Berney Windmill used to be open every weekend in the summer up until about 6 years ago. It is now closed but does sometimes open for one or two weekends at the most in the peak boating season. When it was permanently  open it was

a good stopping off point for boaters and for walkers.

Keith, do you know if the shore power sockets you mention are still available.

Roy

Roy,

The sockets are physically there, but John used to turn them off from within the pub to ensure they were not misused. I don't know if they are still live, or whether the current tenants would know how, or where to turn them on. Be worth a call to find out I guess.

The two sockets are to the right of the last set of steps over the wall, near to the memorial bench for Chris Shepherd.

Edited by kfurbank
  • Like 1

I agree, maybe encourage the landlord to become a NBF member , and help him to help himself, if he saw some of the comments and support he has on here it would at least give him a confidence boost and he could sell his trade to a 1000 potential punters ? ...........

• Like 2

I agree, maybe encourage the landlord to become a NBF member , and help him to help himself, if he saw some of the comments and support he has on here it would at least give him a confidence boost and he could sell his trade to a 1000 potential punters ? ...........

Err you did of course mean the NBN :naughty: Joining our happy band would be an excellent idea.:clap

cheersIain

Hello John,

I hope you mean being a NBN member. Iain beat me to it.

My advice to any of the businesses on the Broads is to belong to all of the Broads boating forums so they can inform both visitors to the Broads and local owners to events they are holding.

All of the forums offer advertising at a competitive price. 

Regards

Alan

Edited by ranworthbreeze
  • Like 2

Roy,

The sockets are physically there, but John used to turn them off from within the pub to ensure they were not misused. I don't know if they are still live, or whether the current tenants would know how, or where to turn them on. Be worth a call to find out I guess.

The two sockets are to the right of the last set of steps over the wall, near to the memorial bench for Chris Shepherd.

We are moored there right now.. The 16a sockets are there - although the post is at a rather jaunty angle! If we see them before we leave later I will find out for you.. I'll also suggest becoming a member here! :-)

• Like 4

We are moored there right now.. The 16a sockets are there - although the post is at a rather jaunty angle! If we see them before we leave later I will find out for you.. I'll also suggest becoming a member here! :-)

Hi Jane, 

Sounds like a good idea.

Could the B.A. install electric posts at this location? it would help with making the 24 hour mooring there more desirable and help the Berney Arms 

I have long thought that far more thought could be put into providing a network of facilities for the long distance walking community in Broadland. For example basic overnight accommodation could be provided at suitable locations as it is in the Peak District. With the adjacent nature reserve Berney is one obvious location. As for electric posts, if that is what folk want then why not, hardly a major undertaking. 

• Like 1

Certainly electric encourages us to moor at places out of season ,as with the early dark nights it helps keep the batteries topped up.Down South soon and will definitely make a visit ,hoping they are open ! Always. enjoyed  the Arms whenever we have called in.