Berney Arms

RayandCarole

I'm not so sure that power on The BA mooring is all that feasible? There isn't too much around there, with the closest properties being the pub and the RSPB house at the other end. Both have probably got supplies from the grid fairly well matched to their needs, and they are both still a fair distance from the BA mooring. Would imagine it would be fairly costly even if the infrastructure was up to it. If you take a look at the one post at Burgh Castle mooring, it is at the opposite end to the marina closest to the pumping station which is more than likely where it gets its feed.

• Like 1

There is a pump station on The Berney Mooring by the side of the river about 10 yards away from the Berney Mill and an electrical feed could be taken from that location.

I did ask broad authority personnel when they were working at the 24 hour mooring if hook up points could be installed and they said it was doubtful as the 24 hour mooring site was not owned by the broads authority.

I remember I think, back in the 70's they replaced all the woodwork of the Quayside at the Berney arms with what looked like Mahogany, beautiful brown and fine grained timber.

Not sure if it's still the same wood after all these years though. 

Mind you... should last more than 40 years though...

When I was very young, I also recall, at night, splashing the water with a boat hook, and seeing a flourescent trail behind it. 

Caused by plankton I think. Also a great place for crabbing.

scription

Property Description

Key features

• Mooring Plot
  • Approx 120' river frontage
  • On Norfolk Broads
  • Beautiful location
  • For sale by auction
  • Thursday, 28 May 2009
  • Unless previously sold
  • Or withdrawn

Full description

This mooring plot is situated in the middle of Halvergate Marshes, deep in the heart of the Norfolk Broads. It has been in the same ownership for nearly 50 years and offers a rare opportunity. The mooring is approximately 5 miles from Great Yarmouth and 3 miles from Halvergate and Reedham.

The land is in a remote and idyllic location with River Yare frontage extending to approximately 120' and a depth of approximately 60' It abuts a fresh water drain to the north of the site and is located between an English Heritage mill dating from 1870 and the Berney Arms Inn.

Found the above it dates back to 2009.

I seem to remember that the mooring had been owned by the same person for a long time, nearly 50 years and it only came to light again when the owner passed away and the family were going through the estate. Similar to The Berney there is no public right of way to get there and no where to park a car. Unlike The Berney, I'm not sure a right of way even exists for the owner of the mooring making it fairly useless as a long term private mooring. For many many years it had been used by patrons of The Berney and was assumed to be part of the pubs moorings. I know that John and Tracy were concerned about any possible impact on the pub if the moorings had been purchased by someone who then restricted their use. The pubs own moorings are actually fairly limited. The rest of the mooring beyond The BA mooring is RSPB who currently leave it open to public use to support the pub.

• Like 2

The rest of the mooring beyond The BA mooring is RSPB who currently leave it open to public use to support the pub.

That may not be correct. Chris Shepherd used to pay the farmer owner of the moorings an annual fee so that boats could moor there and visit the pub and Chris used to collect a £3 fee from the boaters for mooring and gave a refund when they went to the pub. He had signs going from the pub and upstream as far as the east fence of the Berney Mill and collected mooring fees as far as that fence. Could it be possible that the RSPB moorings start upstream of the pump station the reedham side of the mill and terminate outside the RSPB cottages. That section of the moorings have private signs on them and is where the RSPB boat moors when it makes it daily run from Goodchilds.

It's taken me a few weeks, but I finally got round to writing a blog post about our visit to the Berney Arms by train. It includes a bit more history of the area and I hope it may encourage a few more people to make use of the train to visit the pub.

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2015/09/the-wherrymans-way-berney-arms-to-reedham/

Carol

• Like 8

Sheila also wrote a couple of other interesting books, Reedham Remembered and The Lower Bure from Great Yarmouth to Upton as well as Berney Arms Remembered. I happen to have all three, signed by Sheila. I note there is one copy of Berney Arms remembered for £45 on Amazon!!!!

The mill is owned by English Heritage.

Hi Trapper .. oops yes, my mistake! The mill is indeed owned by English Heritage - now corrected on the blog, thank you for pointing that out.

I think most of my sources for the information are listed on the blog - Sheila Hutchinson's excellent book of course and a lot of searching for references in the various Victorian, Edwardian & other 20th century guide books I have, plus Faden's & Bryant's maps of Norfolk (available as reprints) and trawling through 19th century newspaper reports online via the local library service. The information on the mills is largely via the information boards which stand alongside the mills.

Sheila Hutchinson has indeed written a number of interesting books about the history of the area. I am still trying to get hold of a couple of the earlier ones, but unfortunately the out of print ones can often command quite high prices now. The Berney Arms one doesn't seem to crop up too often either, but keep a look out on Ebay.

• Like 1

Hi Trapper and welcome to NBN :wave. A lot of us enjoyed going to Berney Arms for a good chat, also the fun of mooring up and fighting the tides. Then of course helping others to moor. Once you are moored and being there with the wild life. the seals in the water and barn owls flying over and not to forget the ducks.    

I hope Berney gets a new person to put the love back into it and then I / we may go back cheers.

Regards

Marina :Stinky 

• Like 1

What a friendly bunch you are! Thanks for the welcomes. I'm very pleased to know you all...Its a shame that the original Sheila book on the Berney arms cannot be published electronically. People would pay to download it. Without it, memories get forgotten, as does the place.

Hi

The Berney Arms website I referred to earlier does list Sheila Hutchinson's books - this is the link

http://www.berneyarms.co.uk/html/berneyarms/books/berney_books.htm

There is a contact reference which opens an email link to contact the author directly. I don't know how up to date the webpage or the email is although the main site was updated on August 16th 2015.

• Like 1