Autumn Meet, 2016

Hockham Admiral

We called into the Ferry House by car on our way home last week. We have never moored there because of the moorings, some of our other owners have but I wont until something is done with the moorings which are awful.

We wanted to go to the pub because we have always told people that the food has been reported by many for its quality. I can confirm that it is and the staff are friendly.

The pub is quite old and to be honest needs some serious money spending on it, but for a pub on the Broads this is not always an option.

Regards

Alan

Clearly it's a no-no but I'm hardly young and am decidedly less than able but nevertheless I sometimes moor there in a bigger boat, a 28' Broads sailing cruiser. Several of our group that moored there over the weekend are as old, or older than me & I'm not the only one that was stick assisted yet we all managed and there was no damage to folk or their boats. Remember that a dinghy, even a twenty-two foot Drascombe is a great deal more tippy than a larger boat, and two of our group were there with brand new boats. I agree that the moorings are poor, less than ideal, but they are not impossible. Just needs a tad of care and maybe a gang plank. I've moored quite safely at far worse locations! 

John, are the moorings really that bad? At least there is non of that awful crushed aggregate that you sometimes find at moorings. That stuff is cruel on knees for those of us who kneel to get ashore, or have walking problems. This picture shows the moorings on Sunday, just needed a spot of care.

Surlingham%20Moorings.jpg

• Like 2

We have, as happens, digressed. John, perhaps you could produce a list of suitable venues & then folk could vote? Having been involved with Drascombe events I know that it's no easy task meeting the needs of a mixed & varied membership and the Drascombe fleet are all pretty similar, within a foot or two at least!

• 1 month later...

Hows about 9/10/11/12 September - the middle of our autumn fortnight up there?  

As to location, somewhere that is quiet and where Rosie can have safe wombles.  So long as the tides and weather are ok then N or S is fine, but we cannot sensibly get through Wroxham and would not even attempt Potter!

It is our 35th on 14 Sept so we will be looking at finding somewhere nice to visit/eat that evening.

SueH

Hows about 9/10/11/12 September - the middle of our autumn fortnight up there?  

As to location, somewhere that is quiet and where Rosie can have safe wombles.  So long as the tides and weather are ok then N or S is fine, but we cannot sensibly get through Wroxham and would not even attempt Potter!

It is our 35th on 14 Sept so we will be looking at finding somewhere nice to visit/eat that evening.

SueH

Slack Water at Gt Yarmouth is at 11.13 and 12.31 that weekend, Sue

14 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

John, We have the autumn meet as 24-25th september on the calendars. cheers 

Is that set in stone though Alan, as i`d hoped to book Swallow for a week so as to attend the autumn meet. However, we`re going to my nieces wedding that weekend in Gravesend.   It seems every time there`s an event i`d like to do, no matter where or when, we`ve always got something else planned. P....s me off some times.

• 1 month later...

AUTUMN MEET, 24-25 September, 2016.

OK peeps, the date's set but what about the venue?

When I last visited the Ferry House at Surlingham in early November (which Peter recommended above) Sonia was pretty confident that the headings would, at long last, be completed over this Winter.

I'm open to all suggestions! NO, Charlie, NOT those sort!   :shocked

Just spoken at length with Sonia and she's determined that the headings will be sorted by March 1st, 2016. She's employing someone to do it this time.

So unless anyone else has a better idea I've provisionally booked spaces for up to 12 boats so far.

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Telecon with Sonia

• 3 months later...

Well, I must have had a good New Year's Eve, cos I didn't get back on this!

On 27/12/2015 at 0:39 PM, quo vadis said:

Please add me to this one :wave

probably just me maybe another will advise nearer the time :naughty:

Here's the List so far:

Friday Girl, John & Mary-Jane, Stern, Sat-Mon, Yes

Le Grand Crux, Trev & Sue, Stern, Sat-Sun

Quo Vadis, Bob, Stern, Sat-Sun

Bound 2 Please, Charlie & wench, Stern, Fri-Sun

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Stern-end Charlie!