Diesel price rise to hit the Broads?

JennyMorgan

Hello Woodsafloat,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

Please check out the following link to our information pages with regards to the current fuel prices and locations on the Broads.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for replying and the warm welcoming, but I would expect nothing less from this lovely part of the country. Why is fuel more expensive on the southern half?? 

Maybe competition and so on, either way I believe that if there was an information page, or link about prices of fuel it would encourage boat yards to be a bit more competitive to its customers, be they hire of private.  

Realwindmill,

Road diesel has a percentage of BioDiesel (FAME) in it. Some, perhaps many, of older engines have seals that can rot when in constant ccontact with FAME. This can, and I emphasise "can" lead to a frightening experience called "Runaway engine" where the sump oil finds it's way into the cylinder allowing the engine to use it asw fuel. Tjhis effectively puts your engine on full throttle with the throttle control being ineffective.

Have your engine checked out by a reputable engineer to find out more.

Best wishes and welcome. MM

There are very few suppliers of "FAME" Free fuel. Whether you use road diesel or from a yard, it's very similar in the main unless you KNOW that the supplier you are using is the FAME free or really low FAME stuff. 

This stuff definitely attacks the seals in the Lucas CAV pumps used on BMC engines. I suspect it's similar on Perkins too. A recon pump with new seals that are not eroded by the FAME is expensive. (We can get these problems sorted for you if you need)