Back end of a bus!

AdnamsGirl

Are there any old bus experts out there that might be able to give me a date on the bus seen in the background of this photograph which was taken in North Norfolk. You can only see the back of it unfortunately .... it says Eastern something across the back and "London & Midlands" across the top. The car on the left looks to be 1920s possibly?

Hoping someone can help!

Carolnorfolk_busc30.thumb.jpg.512a3b840bdc9a0

I agree re 1920s & would imagine the bus is quite new. North Norfolk has always been a favourite of those from the Midlands - it maybe from somewhere like Peterborough or Leicester. I am only speculating but the eastern bit on the back maybe an advert? I know nothing however re buses! Have a jolly day all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks for your thoughts everyone. I had found the Eastern Counties Bus Co website and will sort out sending a copy of the photo to them. The shape of buses didn;t seem to change a great deal over the 20s and 30s from the pics I've seen (not the back ends anyway) so I think it is possible that it is 20s.

I found this photo at the weekend in amongst a forgotten box of personal items which came from my grandmother. This was with some very special bits and bobs including locks of my dad's hair from 1936 when he was two years old! The lady on the right in the background, I am certain is my great grandmother as I have other photos of her. I am hoping that the gentleman here is my great grandfather .... I have no other photos of him to be sure however.

He died in 1931, aged 65, hence my wanting to pinpoint a date for the bus. If it's later than that then it's not him. Great grandfather was a Romany who gave up life as a van dweller when he met and married great grandmother (she was the daughter of the gamekeeper to Lord Suffield). He was from the Fakenham area although the family also lived in North Walsham for a number of years. He was a horse dealer ... the gigs in the background also point to it possibly being him.

I guess even with a date that fits, I will never be sure it is him as there is no one left I can ask, but this was clearly a treasured photo, so it seems quite possible.

Carol

• Like 1

What a coincidence, one of my great greats was Romany too! I never knew her but she too was the daughter of an estate gamekeeper, a Romany who had gone into brick. She died during WWII when she famously smoked coypu sausages to eek out the meat ration. Don't think they were the cause of her demise though, she was pretty old when she died.

Edited by JennyMorgan
  • Like 1

The car in the photo is definitely of 1920s vintage, but going of the shape of the rear of the bus, I would put it around the early to mid 30s. Older buses were more boxy looking at the rear, during the 20s, but this one seems more rounded at the top. You can't really date the photo from the car, because the car could be at least ten years old or more, when the photo was taken. The style of clothes the woman is wearing, is I would say late twenties/early thirties.

As far as bus companies are concerned, there were hundreds in those days, operating all over the UK, so it is difficult to say who or what company it belonged to or what make of bus it was. Looking at the height of it, it looks more like the size of a mini bus, rather than a full size single decker.

Edited by GeoffandWendy
  • Like 1

Having had another good look at the photo, I am inclined to say that it is not an actual bus, but possibly a service van, belonging to a bus operator. The reason, being, it looks more like a large van than a bus. It has rounded corners to the windows, which would definitely date it to around the early to mid thirties, (too modern looking for a twenties vehicle) and the spare wheel can be seen under the rear of the vehicle, more typical with vans than buses. I may be wrong, but it is my guess that I could be right.

I agree, it could well be a Humber. It's a large car, which all Humber's were, although it could well be something else, but it does look very much like the car, in the spotters guide, that Dave posted. Now then! Who made the hand carts? No doubt Grace could tell us what style of shoes the lady is wearing. :lol:

Edited by GeoffandWendy
  • Like 2

As I said Ian, it could be a Humber, but could quite easily have been a Crossley or any other large car of that period. Most large cars of that period, had the spare wheel mounted on the front fender/running board. This was to allow a luggage rack to be added at the rear of the car. Boots on flat backed models of that period, didn't exist. Even a spare fuel can on some cars, were fitted on the front running board as well

Interesting this!  I have enlarged the image and I would say the sign on the top of the bus says "London and Midlands - take a look at the image see if you agree.

Also, I have attached an enlargement of the "Eastern" ???? lettering at the rear of the bus. I think I can see an "s" a "c" and a "t". What we need now is someone good at anagrams!

Regards

David

Bus 1.jpg

Bus 2.jpg