Boat cookware

SPEEDTRIPLE

All you need is three saucepans non stick milkman fry pan small wok . selection of wooden spoons, fish slice whisk and slooted spoons chopping, tomato, bread knives, potato peeler, strainer, oven cloth.lastly a good cork screw. Every thing else are require if it makes you happy.There is a very good cookware shop in Norwich, pop in , however you will spend lots, it is a very good shop.Its up to trade standards

Ian

Do you mean Looses, Ian?

Eric, if he does it's where we get all our kitchen ware.

http://www.loosescookshop.co.uk/store/

Hi Monica,

My sincere apologies for not using the full word, but I had an argument with a Fire Extinguisher, on Broadway2, hence to me it is a FE. A very painful memory! If you look at Sparkling Horizon http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/sparkling-horizon/?startdate=23/09/2016&pets=0&duration=7 you will see the FE is out of harms way....I hope!:naughty:

cheersIain.

Hi Eric not sure but when Marina gets home,I am sure she will know.For those that don't know I am a chef and this shop is aimed at  the home and the trade,and is very good,prices are okay to,as for restaurants,there are all sorts in Norwich.

Just a little story,when we ordered our first boat,Shetland 4+2,from the boat show we had a few meetings with James the owner.The spec was a two ring hop above a fridge.I wanted a oven and the fridge outside and a seat on top.James asked me why I wanted a oven.I said we tend to eat one day on the boat and one in pubs etc.At that time I worked at Abbey road Studios,He was more interested in the people I had meet,then my oven.He did however get the oven,fridge etc.

Ps the corkscrew is important for Grace!

Iancheers:rolleyes:ice slice

• Like 3

I have to say, i would disagree with Robin saying cooking on a boat is secondary. Cooking is cooking wherever you are. I cook exactly the same on a boat, in a cottage, or here at home, and the methods are the same, so i like to use the same sort of utensils. We have a very large sausepan for fresh pasta, and we always used to have Spag bol (well, "Amatricana" sauce actually) on our first night which i coocked underway to our first nights mooring. I lost count of the number of times i used to curse at NOT having suitable cookware, so we used to take our pasta pan with us. We even took a steamer with us on a couple of occaisions, and we did get some strange looks. I completely agree re the sharp knives thing, so much so that Karen and i bought a pack of cheap knives for our "holiday pack".  Although they were cheap, they are sharp and do the job, and will only be used when we go on holiday, so they`ll be used for a maximum of 3 weeks a year. I do like Johns idea (Maurice Mynah) re the non stick wok, one i may have to buy for Lightning, as she now has non stick frying pans, saucepans, a steamer, an egg poacher,, so cooking aboard is quite enjoable.

• Like 1

I agree with MM's list basically.

We have a portable induction hob for shore power which hides in the locker otherwise, given that Brilliant was designed for cockpit cooking with a pressure stove, the cockpit is a better location than midships where our gas cooker lives-originally a companionway.

We have a Cobb, not sure I would buy one again. If you don't always use the new-style cobblestones they are sluggish.  Lakeland now do a gas version which might be better however. 

They are cool touch but I would never cook aboard because of Carbon Monoxide risks.

Whilst on the cooking topic, we have hit a big issue with our SMEV Moonlight 3. It needs opening for repair and the makers have pot riveted most of it together, so a simple job has become very labour intensive indeed. 

Edited by Polly

Stainless steel 2 layer steamer, tefal frying pan and a couple of saucepans, can opener, bottle opener, corkscrew and a good set of knives,, spatula, tongs plus, of course, a proper teapot and cosy.

cheers

steve

Trust you Steve the only one to mention the corkscrew so far cheers

We have anything we use regularly at home duplicated on the boat including knives. 

• Like 2

I know the corkscrew is rarely needed these days, with the spread of screw-top closures, but you still get the occasional bottle with a cork, so still an important part of the inventory. In any case, the other end opens beer bottles.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Reading back on this thread about Loose’s, I was very disappointed to find out that it is closing. In fact it may already have done. I was in Norwich in May and found they were selling everything off with a 30% discount. I only found the shop a couple of years back and thought I was in heaven as I love good kitchen shops. 

On 19/07/2018 at 19:49, Guest said:

My cruiser for next sept only has a double electric oven and I’m worried it won’t cook much.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

It depends on what and how many you are cooking for

Give me some info and perhaps I can give you some advice (am a chef)

On 19/07/2018 at 20:27, vanessan said:

Reading back on this thread about Loose’s, I was very disappointed to find out that it is closing. In fact it may already have done. I was in Norwich in May and found they were selling everything off with a 30% discount. I only found the shop a couple of years back and thought I was in heaven as I love good kitchen shops. 

It is a shame was a good shop.There is a trade shop which is Nisbits in Norwich.More then lightly cheaper and is open to the public 

Our must have item on the boat is a copperstone frying pan.

Nothing will stick too it.

As we only have two gas rings and a grill we also make a lot of use of a griddle pan. Currently using a Tefal one but when this one dies we will replace it with a copperstone one.

When I got Trixie I just just went to Wilko online and bought up everything from utensils to pots and pans. I work on the basis to have four of everything other than glasses and mugs, as you may have guests for drinks or coffee. Medium and small saucepan with lids and a large fry pan (non-stick) and since there so cheap (£5.00 each) it can just be seen as a disposable item the moment it begins to wear - however, it is actually pretty good and well laid up non-stick.

A decent capacity kettle is handy too.

I can't have things like a Microwave because there just is not the room, even a Toaster would take very valuable space in the only cupboard the boat has so small boating = going back to basics so far as that goes and actually, I've been okay with that and have also found using tinned things is not so bad after all and can be used to mix and match fresh produce and meats and requires little care since no cooling is needed.

• Like 1

When boating, caravanning and camping I have always worked on the principle get the very best you can afford. It is a lot easier to use inferior utensils at home than in the confines of a boat etc.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

When boating, caravanning and camping I have always worked on the principle get the very best you can afford. It is a lot easier to use inferior utensils at home than in the confines of a boat etc.

Agree totally, there is nothing worse than using a screwdriver as a tin opener..... :)

even if effective!

On 25/07/2018 at 21:22, LondonRascal said:

. Medium and small saucepan with lids and a large fry pan (non-stick) and since there so cheap (£5.00 each) it can just be seen as a disposable item the moment it begins to wear -

And more stuff for landfill?  Buy the best you can afford and they will last more than a lifetime

• Like 4