What ever hapened too.... The Wroxham Bypass ?

Brian

Serious Thread Time........

Heard loads about it in the late 80s, it was supposed to go through George Formby's house ?

But have heard nothing since ?

Would be good to dig it up ( the by pass plans ) and have a look at them ;)

Wroxham By pass ? I think not, as it would totally kill off Wroxham :(

Hi Brian

The Wroxham by pass caused an amount of controvesy at the time. It was going to run behind Keys Drive and as you say on a huge bridge over the top of Heronby George Forby's house a CPO was put on Heronby and Harry who lived in it built the house to the left of it looking from the river.The planners or whomever faffed in their usual way and it was eventually rented out to alan who reckoned he had the most expensive council house in at least Norfolk. There was something quite recently about a fellow who had a house down there who could not sell it at the time because of the proposed by pass went skint as a result and only I think 2005 finally received his compensation. A complete --ls up. I hope photo Heronby to right and Francis Molly to left.

Barry

post-133-136713372931_thumb.jpg

The 'Heronby' name of this house (according to an entusiasts site i read today) was given after Beryl Formby's death, and probably by a new owner, as she insisted in using her 'trademark' name of Beryldene for all her places of residence :)

Julz :wave

I think there was a proposal to build the bypass on stilts over the existing railway line. Coupled with this was a development of 200 houses between Wroxham Church and the village. All of this seems to have come to nothing now so I suppose we will have to put up with a bit of queue over Wroxham Bridge. From a traffic point of view , the delays are not to bad, but it would have been nice to get the traffic out of Hoveton.

A bypass built this way would have been quite an impressive sight, but I guess it is not worth it.

Nigel

Ludham

I believe that a group of residents from the Avenues in Wroxham took this to the high court and got an injunction against the route of the bypass. When this evetually was overturned the government funding had been used elsewhere, the only money left was the county council share, this was only enough to create the present roundabouts each end of Wroxham/Hoveton aand the two pedestrian crossings

Having recently lived virtually on the Bridge for a week at Wroxham, we were shocked at the amount of near misses we spotted caused by heavy goods lorries approaching the summit of the bridge at considerable speed. The vibration from these shook the windows and doors of our appartment greatly. :shock:

Many were of the type used for supermarket deliveries, some were megga ton carriers such as car transporters, and at one point a very large and wide mobile crane.

Surely there is a weight and width restriction in force on this little bridge, and alternative routes to avoid Wroxham?

A few years ago a single file traffic system was in force (traffic light opperated), which judging by what we have seen recently would probably be a safer option right now, before a really serious accident occurs. I am also surprised that a stronger crash barrier has not been fitted over the river section, similar to those fitted along the roadside over railway bridges following the Selby disaster.

Julz :wave

I don't know anything about weight restrictions Julia, but I can confirm that Wroxham is regarded by us as our nearest town but it is also regarded as a no go area on a Saturday. You seldom get much past for the first roundabout before you hit the stop start traffic backed up from the bridge. Wroxham traffic is a nightmare and best avoided most of the time.

I don't know why we go there at all, actually. I can get from the door of my house to Norwich YS in 10 mins by car, so technically the centre of Norwich is probably closer than Wroxham but Wroxham feels as though it ought to be closer, which is probably why we go there in preference.

in north east england and i suppose the country in general, we have by-pass work on going on the busier

routes. these projects obviously take the bulk of the traffic out of the town or village. this is great for the majority

of residents but does not go down too well for those with businesses who probably rely on some passing trade.

would this scenario be the same in wroxham, this is a tourist attraction, has it made any difference

to places like stalham for example or potter heigham , probably the local members can answer this better

alan

• 2 years later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Here`s yet another old thread i`ve been reading, I can deffinately see the point of a by-pass, but as to where the by-pass should run is worthy of debate, as is the possible effects it woul have on buisnesses in Wroxham and Hoveton. Whenever we`ve hired a boat from one of the Wroxham yards, we`ve either come through the back lanes via Ranworth and South Walsham, from Acle, or done the loop via Potter Heigham, Ludham, and Horning. Either way, we`re travelling through beautiful countryside, and making the journey part of the holiday. i`ve always preferred the by-pass idea, but i can still see the possible threat to local buisness and think this issue is best left to the local people who stand to gain, or lose, Having said that, are the people of Acle, Loddon and Chedgrave, Beccles or Stalham better or worse off because of their by-pass. As stated above Wroxham and Hoveton is a dedicated tourist town, and people make a point of going there, just like Loddon and Chedgrave, or Beccles, and these towns are still thriving. Let`s not forget, some people might be put off going to Wroxham BECAUSE of the traffic. Just a thought. Before i finish, i`d just like to say that these are ONLY my opinions, and are not intended to inflame any feelings, so i hope no one is offended by an outsider, as i`d hate to wake up on the riverbed having been sunk by an irate local resident :lol::lol::lol::lol: . Regards to all..............Neil.

Yes, I agree with you on the whole there DB.

I think Wroxham/Hoveton Businesses would benefit from a bridge bypass, and it would actually enhance the area for tourists, as you say.

Horning has been "bypassed" for most of the last century, and yet is a very busy tourist target, all the more for the village streets being almost a pedestrian precinct with the 20mph speed limits etc.

The proximity of the juggernauts at Wroxham Bridge and the hoards of holidaymakers on foot is such a dangerous situation.

The only problem is the possible locations for an alternative route. The geology of Wroxham is deceptive. despite the properties lining the banks, hard ground suitable for a road crossing of the river is very restricted, hence Nigel's mention of the scheme for an elevated section over the railway track bed.

Picking up also on the brief (maybe flippant !) mention by someone about also bypassing the bridge for river traffic, the solution for that is very simple. Unlike Potter, the stone and brick arch bridge is completely isolated from the road bridge above it, which is supported by huge steel arched beams, which only touch the abutments each side. :)

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Strowager, I did`nt pick up on the remark about the river by-passing the bridge i`m afraid. As for where any by-pass should be located, well, in my opinion through limited knowledge of the local area, i would imagine the best place would be to come off the main road well south of Wroxham and cut across the river somewhere near Wroxham church, then following the river, and come back on the road to coltishall by Hoveton station. It would`nt have to be a massive bridge, with high airdraught, as Wroxham bridge has already sorted that out. Anyway, it`s all just theory, as i doubt they will ever build it. Regards to all................ Neil. :wave:wave:wave

This is an old chestnut - unlike Plesbit I rarely have any trouble in Wroxham except for the 6 weeks of the school holidays in summer. I use it normally at least twice a day and apart from banning the right turn by Roys into Church Road, would think it a total waste of time.

I don't think the Bailey bridges have a weight limit - if they take a tank they will take a crane!!!

Seriously though there must be places far far more worthy of a bypass than Wroxham!!!

Yes, it wouldn't have to be a high bridge Neil, but it would effectively be a very long one.

The ground to the left of the Wroxham-Norwich A1063 road (and the railway) is river valley peat, and would need viaduct or causeway to support a new road.

It would also then run noisily alongside, and in full view of one of the most picturesque sections of the Bure, so I doubt the BA would approve.

I think that would be too big a price to pay, especially for Boat/Broads lovers ! :)

post-669-136713634149_thumb.jpg