Our September week on Broadland Mercury

deebee29

I'm just flicking through these blogs and my goodness there are stunning pictures on all of the current ones.. have you all met up together somewhere and undertaken a private photo competition?.. I'm really missing my boat now :summertime:

think it was just right place right time as far as last week was concerned Alan.

Jonathan I don't think it was you, the burgee was towards the front but hello anyway. i'm inclined to think it was Lori after seeing the picture from the webcam

• Like 1

Friday

We awoke to the (now predictable) fine Norfolk morning but this one was tinged with the sadness that it was our last day.

We decided to have a good cruise today. We intended to get back to Richardsons and get checked in so we could get an early start in the morning.

I know a lot of you will say you prefer to moor away from the yard then have a short cruise, and we do as well but it’s more convenient for mum to be able to get up and get herself sorted then get into the car on the morning we leave without having to wait to get the tank checked and fuel refunds sorted etc. before we leave.

Anyway we decided to have a slow run back down the Ant and see how far we got before we needed to turn back. Well we got down to Ludham Bridge and decided another trip down to South Walsham Broad and mudweight for lunch before coming back up to Stalham.

We had just turned into Fleet Dike when I spotted Eric and the Riyadh Crew heading towards us. I shouted ‘Eric’ and waved like a lunatic but they waved back so I mustn’t have scared them too much. Just a shame we hadn’t been a little earlier.

We spent a good hour or so on the mudweight and had a spot of lunch before heading back just over tick over back to Richardsons

Fri0001.thumb.jpg.63f02c1d7fc00bdfcf45a1

Another Richardsons boat caught us up just as we were approaching the bridge and proceeded to try and overtake us on the wrong side …… this was at LBBY so there was no way he could possibly get round. I had to speed up to avoid a collision.

Once through the bridge they had another go causing boats coming the other way to have to pull right over and then proceeded at what must have been 6 mph or more.

Fri0003.thumb.jpg.970e302242ddbda47df4a6

When we got to How Hill they were moored up …… I do know the boat name but I won’t mention it on here. But guess who moored right next to us in the boat yard!

All that was left to do now was check the boat in and pack up. We got £78.00 refund out of our £125. 00 fuel deposit which more than covered the fuel for the car meaning the holiday (excluding food) cost us less than £500.00

Richardsons Staff were as usual friendly, professional and helpful and a credit to you Clive if you happen to read this. It’s a pleasure to do business with you.

As a certain Meerkat (and Terminator ) says…. WE’LL BE BACK.

• Like 7

Saturday

We left Richardsons just after 8am and were home just after 1pm with only one small hold up

We have had a fantastic holiday. The weather has been just perfect…… the week before was really wet and it has rained ever since we got home.

Broadland Mercury is a brilliant boat. Yes it’s getting on a bit but to me that adds to the character. It’s well looked after and is reliable. Is spotlessly clean and has everything you need.

Fri0005.thumb.jpg.7a29c36fe498ab4001afc5

There are no bow thrusters or 240v or shore power but there was no such thing anyway way back when I fell in love with the Broads.

Fri0006.thumb.jpg.24bd559bb033d17ffe75e4

So that’s it for another year…..Roll on spring

As some of you know we had Silver Elegance earlier in the year and loved it (and have booked it again for next year) but we enjoyed Mercury every bit as much which just proves that it doesn’t matter what boat you have it’s the place that makes it

• Like 9