broads suncharm

petershamu

hi just booked the broads suncharm for august next year.  2 grand!!  school holidays i know.

we last went boating many many years ago and i was quite shocked at some of the prices.

we go to orlando every year and pay around 5 grand excluding spending money. and most of the "decent" boats broadsman type where £4001 !!  thats crazy, so we opted for a basic boat.

we have been on basic boats before. sparkling horizon,caprice and so on. although caprice had proper flush toilet and a bath. we are not relishing the chemical bog and shower in the same room.

i saw suncharm got a slating from a poster called stranger, mainly of the cold. august fingers crossed we should be ok.

has anyone else been on this boat got anything positive to say about it......please

thanks Peter

• Like 1

Morning Peter.

Have to admit that we like a boat with all mod cons and as there's only the two of us we don't want anything too large. Most of the boats the yards are building now seem to be aimed more at larger parties than the luxury for two end of the market.

Anyhow ... price is all relative and I admit that there are times we spend maybe £500 on something and I can't help thinking that could have been a weekend on a boat! 

But I really feel for anyone who has to keep to school holidays and pay that hefty hike in charges. Now the schools have had to crack down on parents taking their children away during term time it's much more difficult than it was for us when out children were small. I can understand your wanting to feel that your money has been wisely invested at that kind of price.

• Like 1

Morning - looks like it can go under all the bridges which is great. It also doesn't look basic to me at all - boating is about enjoying the Broads! If you are not keen on having a shower in the same cabin as the loo there are always the onshore showers at various points. It's got a nice slide back canopy so you can enjoy the sun - fabulous. . Richardsons do a good job and I am sure you will have a great time. -no doubt there will be 100s of people who have had a great holiday on her!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not been on Suncharm but have hired Sunray quite a few times. In my opinion I think these boats have a great layout plenty of space in the forward cabin and galley. We love the radiator / hot towel rail heating for early and late cruising its great to get out of bed in the morning to a warm boat (comes on auto at 6am). One year we did have a problem with the heating not firing up but Rickos were out and sorted it in no time.

You can get under all bridges (if conditions right) , you have bow thruster and 240 volts. Great vision from forward cabin means the crew don't have to stretch their necks to see while relaxing on the sofa / seating (better than on Broadway or Broadlander).

hope this helps

John

• Like 1

Hi Peter, a very warm welcome to the Forum

We haven't hired Suncharm (yet) but we did go aboard her to have a nosy round and she is a stunning Boat, we opted for something else because the layout didn't meet our requirements at the time, so the only comment I can make about her is that she is a cracker,  not what I would call a budget Boat.

Now other members are going to say "Here she goes again" lol, but we have hired plenty of the Classic Fleet (budget) from Richardons and with most of them having being refurbished throughout, you really do feel like you are on a new Boat and they cost a lot less than the newer posher ones.

Major Gem, Classic Gem, Broadland Mars, Clear Gem, the list goes on but all exceptional Boats for what you pay, if you have a look at Daves (deebees) holiday tale and read what he has to say about Broadland Mercury, another budget Boat and very similar to Major Gem, I think you will be pleasantly surprised

My own very personal opinion is that if all you care about is being afloat on the Broads, as long as the Boat is comfortable and warm in colder months, the fact that we are afloat is all that matters, hell, I'd be happy in a dinghy and an umbrella lol

Grace

• Like 7

Hi Peter and :welcome: from me.

I completely agree with Grace. This year we have had Silver Elegance (top of the range with all the toys - see Tales from the South Side in Holiday Tales)  and Broadland Mercury from the other end of the scale and enjoyed the Mercury every bit as much. Yes it's around 40 years old but  it has everything you need.

The thing is you get the same Norfolk Broads

Have a great time

• Like 6

Never thought of that Neil, hmmm, now I have a dilemma, Boat or Shoes, Boat or Shoes......(.taps finger on chin), it would have to be Boat, you can live on a Boat but you can't live in heels (they kill your ruddy feet after a couple of hours lol) :naughty:

Grace

Edited by Gracie
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

Suncharm heating is pathetic a 600mm square radiator to heat the galley and front saloon is useless in cold weather it is not programable anymore as the system has been changed onboard to an eberspatcher on off  system April Last year  and the heating on 24/7 was  very poor  hire an older boat with  warm air heating if you go early or late season