Recognition for work to restore reed beds

The Duck Broad restoration project using gabion's has been commended in the Natural Environment category at the 2015 Living Waterways Awards.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/recognition_for_work_to_restore_reed_bed_on_the_norfolk_broads_1_4266387

Personally I would question just using steel gabion's in this project, galvanised or galvanised covered plastic gabion's would have had a far better life.

Regards

Alan

Edited by ranworthbreeze

Gabions have been used for many years in the UK for building up bank etc

The partly restored Montgommery canal in North Wales, have used this and encouraged reeds to grow, and those that travel down the New Cut will see them used a lot, but these are usually large stones, what I don't understand, is ... it implies it is a new thing.

I think they need to get out more. lol

Edited by Viking23

Gabions have been used for many years in the UK for building up bank etc

The partly restored Montgommery canal in North Wales, have used this and encouraged reeds to grow, and those that travel down the New Cut will see them used a lot, but these are usually large stones, what I don't understand, is ... it implies it is a new thing.

I think they need to get out more. lol

A great many of those New Cut gabions have either lost their contents or broken open. 

• Like 1

A great many of those New Cut gabions have either lost their contents or broken open. 

So what do you think that the sacks of silt will be like at duck broad, say in 10 or 20 years, when the reed roots have penetrated the outer bag  and boat wash constantly washes the reeds?

Will all the dredged silt eventually wash back into the river necessitating a need to dredge the river again?

I really hope it works, as it looks much better now than a year ago.