Mudweighting Southern Rivers

Jona

Evening all,  :wave

We are down this Monday for a week on the southern rivers out of Brundall.

We intend, weather permitting, to mudweight on Surlingham Broad at some point, does anyone know of anywhere else down south where we could safely do it?

I thought maybe Oulton Broad, but would that be too busy?  It would probably be a midweek night so as to be quieter.

Many thanks in advance.

Jon & Jo

Rockland is a broad, but really unsuitable for mud weighting, as you are best keeping within the marked channel. The high rise and fall could leave you high and dry, and there are some serious underwater obstructions out there. 

There are a few deep places outside the posts, but without local knowledge, and a depth sounder,  best avoided. 

Thanks for that Marina,

It's something we've always wanted to do, but have had dogs with us so we couldn't until now.

So weather allowing we shall have a go, any advice from any of you good folks will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Jon & Jo

Six times the water's depth, up to seven, even eight or nine feet of water at high water, means a great deal more rope than most hire boats are equipped with. The industry has been doing it for a long time now and will provide enough rope but no more, just lob the mudweight with all the rope over the front, bow, and, unless the wind blows, I'm sure that you will be quite safe.  At the worst you'll drag towards the bank, that does happen, but very rarely. I see many boats mudweight on Oulton Broad where I live, problems are rare and then generally with boats rafting up and relying on just one mudweight for two boats. Senator's recommendation is absolutely right for an anchor and is a general guideline that I wholly respect and would follow, at sea, but on a shallow, possibly sheltered Broad, with little tidal flow, the supplied mudweight and rope is generally quite adequate, in my honest opinion. 

Edited by JennyMorgan
  • Like 2

Thanks very much for that advice Gents, the only remaining question is where, on Oulton, would we best be placed "Outta the way" so to speak ? 

Am thinking after leaving the dyke over towards the left hand side, but I dare say that will depend on the wind. On saying that, if it's blowing a hooley we won't be mudweighting anyway :-) 

Thank you

Jon & Jo

Thank you Peter,

Hopefully then we shall be able to do both Surlingham and Oulton this coming week, as i said earlier something we've wanted to do for a long time, really looking forward to it now.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Oh, and Peter, yes, without our beloved but rather excitable Jack Russell, we may just get that elusive otter photo :-) 

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Jon & Jo

A deer... on the island part? ie the land between the broad and the river, cut off by the two entrances...  we have seen a fox on this part too. Clearly foxes can swim.

Bargate must be our favourite place on the southern broads, no mooring lines to adjust due to the tidal change, but at the weekends it does have quite a few gin palaces some of which have only travelled 100 metres lol. Why not... it's better than being tethered to your own home mooring. 

• Like 2

I normally have the highest regard for Andy's advice but I will take issue with the suggestion that you should put a mudweight out at both ends, fore and aft. I'll explain, two reasons, one being that mooring that way stops your boat from laying with the wind. Other boats will swing with the wind and at Bargate where several boats may be moored, better that all boats swing the same way so they are then less liable to hit or touch each other. Second reason is that of windage. If your boat swings with the wind then it will probably point towards the wind thus presenting minimum resistance and will therefore be less liable to drag. Twelve foot wide or thirty six feet long, you do the maths! Sorry to take issue with your advice, Andy, but fore and aft mooring is not always wise, in my opinion and experience.

• Like 2

P.S., just a thought, I would put out a mudweight at both ends if I were laying against the bank/reed bed, that would stop me swinging out into the river. Windage would obviously be reduced by the reeds and trees so would probably not be a problem unless it was an out and out hoolie of a day.

Edited by JennyMorgan
  • Like 1

As a fisherman I do use two mudweights in order to stop the boat swinging whilst I'm fishing. If a boat swings then bite indication can become poor thus putting fish's welfare at risk. However I wouldn't wish to go to sleep! 

A word of caution for when you use two mudweights over the bow/front. If the boat swings right round during the night the ropes become twisted and then lifting the weights becomes much harder. I can understand people doing it, I wouldn't recommend it. Personally I wouldn't mudweight in open water if it was so windy that I needed the extra weight.

We arrived at Brooms yesterday and during the handover I did ask if it would be possible to take along an extra mudweight. No problem was the reply and 5 mins later it was aboard.

Weather is holding out, certainly no wind to speak of, so may not need it, but it's there if we do.

Cannot praise Brooms enough for the boat turnout, immaculate.

Regards

Jon & Jo

• Like 1

Dukes head Somerleyton? Bloody good pub if so. BBQ chips and sticky pigs highly recommended. :)

What broom have you got?

I think it's both the cadet and captain that are unrestricted although they may have had to restrict them now as everyone was getting caught and the rangers on the southern side were keeping a good look out. So although you can open her up at breydon you really need to watch it around the other areas. I've had a nose around them when getting fuel in brundall and they are amazing boats.

Have fun cheers 

• Like 1

We have Broom Capt 1 Named Horatio, and yes, quite simply the nicest boat we have hired to date, and we have never had a bad one so that is an accolade.

Coming onto the Wensum early today I opened her up a bit and yes, I very quickly reined her in again. Tomorrow may well be fun cheersbar

• Like 2