Tis I the pesky mod...

BroadScot

Hello Iain sorry to hear of your difficulties on your holiday, If anyone deserved a nice holiday it was you, can't add  much to what as already been said, but possibly the cooler temperatures did not help to keep the arthritis under control. I too suffer from the those two old codgers Arthur itus and Ruma tism  and this time of year often suffer flare ups. Perhaps we should bite the bullet and fight off the sunmer hordes and holiday when the temperature is warmer. Take care and hope things improve for you.

Ron

• Like 1

Hello Iain sorry to hear of your difficulties on your holiday, If anyone deserved a nice holiday it was you, can't add  much to what as already been said, but possibly the cooler temperatures did not help to keep the arthritis under control. I too suffer from the those two old codgers Arthur itus and Ruma tism  and this time of year often suffer flare ups. Perhaps we should bite the bullet and fight off the sunmer hordes and holiday when the temperature is warmer. Take care and hope things improve for you.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes good point regarding the temperature. I do though think the very long drive on the Friday did me know favours. The only time I ever see heavy traffic of note up here, is in the Central Belt or driving on the M8 through Glasgow.

cheersIain

• Like 1

Hi Iain. Very sorry to read you had to cut your holiday short. I'm very fortunate in never having been in a position where I've needed to do that but it would be my worst nightmare.

I'm a big fan of Horizon Craft as well. I've looked aboard Sparkling. I really like the cabin with its big island double bed but I'm not a fan of the old fashioned arm chairs in the saloon (give me an L shaped sofa any day). What did you think?

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I have till now refrained mentioning the boat, but, as you have kindly asked, I agree with you regarding the chairs, they are moderately comfortable, but not over modern in design. My biggest problem these days, yes anno i'm on about good old fashioned Dunlopillo again, but always found that material comfortable both sitting and sleeping.

Getting to that generous sized bed was for me and my dear wife a bit of a challenge, more than I was expecting, with a storage area one side and wardrobe the other a bit of leg work is involved shall we say.The bed I found over firm, but that may just be me.

However, the biggest and most uncomfortable item is/was the helmsman seat, I had to stoop sitting on it, its for me too upright in design. That is not to say it wont suit other skippers. 

The boat has pluses, but one other slight niggle was the steering,  I have had many many front steer craft, this one challenged my abilities keeping it straight! Maybe because I was in back pain and not concentrating properly, who knows.

I was going to do a wee write up on the boat, you have just pushed me into it a wee bit quicker lol.

cheersIain.

• Like 2

Afternoon Iain. 

So sorry things didn't work out for you. I wasn't able to get online while we were away but now I know why I didn't spy your boat anywhere over the last few days. Every time we saw anything from Horizoncraft my hubby asked if it was the one I was looking out for!

Thanks for your comments on the boat though. I have looked at this one myself in the past as the two things we really like to have are bow thrusters and a bed we can walk round ... or hubby can at least hang his feet off the end of being tall. Sounds like this would not have been a good choice for us.

Take care and hope to hear you're feeling better soon.

• Like 2

Hi Iain

I was interested in your comment about the steering on Sparkling Horizon. It looks like an Alphacraft hull. This is the shorter version of the 35 foot hull. One theory which has been put to me is that as the keel tapers ie it's deeper towards the stern. Therefore in the 'cut off' 31 foot version a bit of keel is 'lost' therefore doesn't steer quite as well as the longer keel. 

Out of interest was it hydraulic drive? Bit hard to tell from the brochure. 

Hi Iain

I was interested in your comment about the steering on Sparkling Horizon. It looks like an Alphacraft hull. This is the shorter version of the 35 foot hull. One theory which has been put to me is that as the keel tapers ie it's deeper towards the stern. Therefore in the 'cut off' 31 foot version a bit of keel is 'lost' therefore doesn't steer quite as well as the longer keel. 

Out of interest was it hydraulic drive? Bit hard to tell from the brochure. 

Hi Howard,

It was very very light, so my money is on hydraulic. We have also has hired Silver Harmony and had no issues with the steering watsoever.

Jean,

I am on the mend, sort of, now in decline again, Wales have just lost:cry ( Mum was Welsh!)

cheersIain

Hi Howard,

It was very very light, so my money is on hydraulic. We have also hired Silver Harmony and had no issues with the steering watsoever.

Jean,

I am on the mend, sort of, now in decline again, Wales have just lost:cry ( Mum was Welsh!)

cheersIain

Aye Iain,      Wales lost out to the Springboks but it was only as a result of that surprise Try  in the final minutes.

On the whole they played well especially in the first half.  Unfortunately they seemed to be defending all the time in the second half.

Certainly a better performance than the other day.

Good luck to Scotland tomorrow against the Wallabies.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

Aye Iain,      Wales lost out to the Springboks but it was only as a result of that surprise Try  in the final minutes.

On the whole they played well especially in the first half.  Unfortunately they seemed to be defending all the time in the second half.

Certainly a better performance than the other day.

Good luck to Scotland tomorrow against the Wallabies.

Thank you Arthur,

At least the two players banned have had that turned over. We can but hope tomorrow!

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain, I am sorry to hear that you were unwell and you had to cut short your holiday. Ian was talking about you earlier this evening.

As Ian had said, how about looking into flying to Norwich and then get a taxi to the boat yard. I have a  telephone number of a taxi service in Norwich, which we use when ever we need a taxi and the fare is not bad. 

All the best.

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 1

Hi Marina,

Flying is very expensive from Edinburgh, eye watering even. The train believe it or not, because I live on the west cost is not much quicker than driving down!

More stops is the answer, but, we shall see. I am stubborn, to a fault. I do not like being beaten, and I wont be. :norty:

Thank you so so much for your concerns, all. Its very kind, and much appreciated.

cheersIain.

• Like 10

Been to Skipton many times, cracking town, lovely folks. Also, a free Blue Badge parking  town:clap It was here I first sampled Timothy Taylors, Landlord!

I could nick a big posh Broom from our local Marina in Troon:naughty: Captains Ticket? What Ticket! Turn left keep left turn left at Gorleston. Dump nicked Broom, and acquire another boat to suit Broads cruising|! Job done.

cheersIain

• Like 3

Must read your posts more carefully Iain

When you suggested nicking a posh broom my mind was thinking of Harry Potter and a Nimbus 2000.

Ah Arthur, its my typo accent what causes the bother! :naughty: I have attempted many things in my time, but flying a Broom I leave to the ladies! Talk about digging a hole ....help!:naughty:

cheersIain.

• Like 2

So sad Iain to read that your holiday had to be terminated after only a few days. We have only just got back from our holiday in Llandudno, so had a lot of catching up to do on the forum, so that is why we have only just read your blog.

Wendy and I hope you do manage to get down to the Broads again next year, as like everyone else, you love this place for your holidays. Hope you are feeling much better than you were, so just take it easy and get as fit as you can again. 

It's something we all have to put up with as we get older (aches and pains) but you just have to battle on and there are times when some things become just too much of an effort. cheers

• Like 4

So sad Iain to read that your holiday had to be terminated after only a few days. We have only just got back from our holiday in Llandudno, so had a lot of catching up to do on the forum, so that is why we have only just read your blog.

Wendy and I hope you do manage to get down to the Broads again next year, as like everyone else, you love this place for your holidays. Hope you are feeling much better than you were, so just take it easy and get as fit as you can again. 

It's something we all have to put up with as we get older (aches and pains) but you just have to battle on and there are times when some things become just too much of an effort. cheers

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for your kind words. I would love to say I am feeling better, but, just spent 36 hours in bed, hopefully this b***dy flare up will calm down, or possibly a change of medication.

I will do all I can to be back to Norfolk next year, just hope my body agrees with me.

cheersIain.

• Like 1