Bring back 'real' pubs.

JennyMorgan

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting.

I don't mind a refurbished pub, a few on the Broads were dire and a few more still need money spending on them.

I agree wholehearted regarding how food is presented, this idea that people want food on a slate, block of wood with items stacked up or in an imitation frying basket is somewhat alien to me. 

All this poncing about does not improve the quality of the food.

If I am served with peas in a pot I always put them straight on my plate, assuming I am lucky enough to have one.

Things that should be in a pot or a jug always seem to be always be on your food.  Maybe its just me?

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Everything changes over time, (well, almost everything). :rolleyes:

Pubs and Inns have had a good run for several centuries, right back from the Dick Turpin days as the toll road "service centres" and "little chefs" of the day.

Then they became the hugely popular "locals", when even small villages could support several, filled with residents as almost the only places for social gathering, (and getting pi**ed).

They initially survived the introduction of cars, which even enhanced the remoter Pubs, which were then accessible to more customers than just locals, but then came the breathalyser.

The real death knell started with the invention of TV. Suddenly, we could be entertained cheaply at home, and the Pub was doomed as the only local source of how to spend most evenings.

People may lament the loss of remote Pubs like the Berney Arms, but I'm afraid it's inexorable,  the year-round custom is just no longer possible, making a viable business untenable.

It's only when you've lived in the Broads area for a number of years that you appreciate how dead these "hotspots" are for nearly half of the year.

Yeah this is a hard one.. Sadly I think times have moved on. Pubs have had to modernise or die. It's easy to want the good old days but the good old days don't pay the modern expenses certainly when I guess the majority prefer modern twists.  I prefer most styles of pubs.. Variety is good, depending on my mood will depend which pub we go to.

The dukes head in somerleyton is my favorite at the moment. It's tastefully refurbed with a traditional country style, but the gastro styled other side is also really welcomed. Shepard neame down here have started refurbing their pubs to a similar style so this seems to be the current trend.  But I don't mind a funky glass fronted pub kitted out with clear lightbulbs and stainless steel would do me if I was passing and in the mood.. better than nothing (Oh unless it's a bloody weatherspoons). 

• Like 1

Give me a good old fashioned pub any day of the week.....You walk in to be greeted by a big roaring Fire, beams on the ceiling and locals sitting at the bar who, when you walk in, turn and stare at you as if you had tucked your skirt into your knickers or had two heads or something

Proper Steak and Chips with mushrooms and peas served on a proper ruddy great plate, washed down with a pint of ale or a nice glass of wine, now that's what I call a real pub cheers Or any pub on the Broads will do lol

I'm with Mr Breeze on this one, if I wanted a fancy place to eat where you get 5 courses of pea sized proportions, I would go to a Restaurant in the City run by some fancy Chef with an equally fancy name lol

Grace

p.s JM, the film is called 'When Harry Met Sally' ;)

Edited by Gracie
  • Like 4

The Good old days .....

When the well heeled had a rollicking good time and the rest new their place.

Back then there really wasn't much to do.

No cars ,,,,, so you were kinda stuck to a radius in which you could walk.

No wireless .... so you had to play dominoes.

No TV    ........ so you had to play dominoes.

No worthwhile contraception ..... so you had to play dominoes.

So where else better to play dominoes .... the pub of course. In that blessed sanctuary known as the public bar where women were barred .... well most women anyway.

Remember todays Bad old days are tomorrows good old days.

• Like 3

There is less atmosphere in pubs and restaurants these days, a couple or a group go out for the evening, and after the initial hello... out come the mobile phones, ipads, etc, and they all sit around texting other people they would rather be with than those sat around the table.

They don't talk to each other until the meal arrives, and they have to put their electronic devices down... but in between courses.... out they come again...

We went to one pub, and this young couple spent the whole evening texting someone else, and they say romance is dead...

• Like 1

Crikey Smellie, did you get to see any Dinosaurs :naughty: I can't believe women were actually barred from public bars, if I was around then I would have chained myself to the railings in protest, no man should be allowed peace and sanctuary from women lol, No wonder women had loads of children in the 'good old days' if all they had for entertainment was playing dominoes lol ;)

Grace 

• Like 4

I never always had a car smellyloo and I cannot say that I was "well heeled". But we did have a tele and radio had been around for a long time. Give me a pint of beer and a chat with the locals in the pub anytime over sitting in front of a goggle box watching the likes of Coronation St and other rubbish. God man - even dominoes is better than Coronation St - at least one is using one's brain and interacting with others.

Edited by Soundings
spelling
  • Like 1

Crikey Smellie, did you get to see any Dinosaurs :naughty: I can't believe women were actually barred from public bars, if I was around then I would have chained myself to the railings in protest, no man should be allowed peace and sanctuary from women lol, No wonder women had loads of children in the 'good old days' if all they had for entertainment was playing dominoes lol ;)

Grace 

In the real good old days, the only women found in bars were ...

They sat in the corner, on a stool, with one foot raised and chalked on the sole of one shoe, was the price... If the police came in, they just stood up, or put both feet on the floor.

Note:- This information is not from personal experience, but from a tour of the " Black Country Museum" in the West Midlands. lol... 

• Like 3

The Commodore in Oulton Broad, until about sixty years ago, had a beer only licence, no women and it used to be packed! I remember it well, used to sit outside with my ginger beer whilst Dad played shove ha'penny with other boating and boatyard people. Worst thing that they ever did, gaining a spirit licence and putting down carpet in the lounge bar, complete with Hilda, the near humourless barmaid.  Would it, as an anachronism of a  past age, survive in this day and age? Whatever, I rather like it now, for me the nicest pub amongst other nice pubs in Oulton Broad.                       

The Good old days .....

When the well heeled had a rollicking good time and the rest new their place.

Back then there really wasn't much to do.

No cars ,,,,, so you were kinda stuck to a radius in which you could walk.

No wireless .... so you had to play dominoes.

No TV    ........ so you had to play dominoes.

No worthwhile contraception ..... so you had to play dominoes.

So where else better to play dominoes .... the pub of course. In that blessed sanctuary known as the public bar where women were barred .... well most women anyway.

Remember todays Bad old days are tomorrows good old days.

Hello Smellyloo,

Grace is kind of well heeled, and often puts people in there place!:naughty:

I bet you are or were a domino slammer.

Phones should be handed over on entrance into a pub or restaurant and any TV should be turned off other than on an organised sports evening. Maybe then people would talk to each other again.

Soaps, a complete wast of time like a lot of television, even the adverts are a waste of time these days, so many adverts for betting, donations for this or that, lending services charging interest rates that are beyond repayment and solid wood furniture that I personally would not give house room.

Rant over honest.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2

Hello Smellyloo,

Grace is kind of well heeled, and often puts people in there place!:naughty:

I bet you are or were a domino slammer.

Phones should be handed over on entrance into a pub or restaurant and any TV should be turned off other than on an organised sports evening. Maybe then people would talk to each other again.

Rant over honest.

Regards

Alan 

When we had the dog and pheasant on Mersea Island. Mobile phones were banned TV was a no no this was instigated by the locals!.... It worked very well people chatted like times of old. grockles in their caravan's whether on holiday or owners, liked it, so did the bikers on bike rallies. We still did plenty of food and more wet sales than before we took it on as a no hope pub. We did have some well known musicians turn up from time to time and just jam the night away...  Great days !996- 2003

As for Grace she would have been most welcome to put out of order people in thier places.

• Like 1

Perhaps when entering into a public building all texts should be broadcast to the public.

This would enable everybody in the room to take part in their textavation.

The problem for me is that the outcome of my feeble attempts .to compile a text resemble my spoken words after consuming half a bottle of whisky.

The other thing that really confuses me is earless phones. People walking along the street seemingly talking to nobody.

I feel such a fool when I reply thinking that they are talking to me only to be greeted by a confused grimace.

• Like 3

Proper Steak and Chips with mushrooms and peas served on a proper ruddy great plate, washed down with a pint of ale or a nice glass of wine, now that's what I call a real pub cheers

Grace

p.s JM, the film is called 'When Harry Met Sally' ;)

Next time you're this way, Try 'The Bell ' at Salhouse. Bl**dy good steaks there!

• Like 1

Grace 

Grace IF you had been around in THOSE days you would have been in the SNUG with yer bottle of Mackesons and a fag in yer gob.:naughty: That put you in your place! :taunt:

cheersIain.

• Like 2

Grace IF you had been around in THOSE days you would have been in the SNUG with yer bottle of Mackesons and a fag in yer gob.:naughty: That put you in your place! :taunt:

cheersIain.

Of course she wouldnt Iain Our Grace would be in the centre of the public bar demonstration the fine art of wine drinking mate

• Like 1