Abigail!

BroadScot

Hi All,

Well she has passed through here, only at 55/60mph and I have been informed through friends that on the Isle of Skye and on Harris, "Abigail" has reached 85mph.

As I type I have had to switch the lights on. Gone a bit dark with hail thumping off the windows. Welcome to the first signs of Winter! :wave

cheersIain

40 minutes ago, GeoffandWendy said:

Glad to hear that Abigail was not as bad as was predicted Iain. The winds were not too bad here in the Midlands. cheers

Hi Geoff,

We have friends from Stornaway, they take these gales/storms in their stride. They are well prepared, with the candles/matches and other items to pass the time, if and when the power goes off.

A hardy breed up there. I personally have been on Skye when the gales have been doing their bit. Just going upstairs in a cottage and listening to the slates rattling is interesting to say the least!!!

cheersIain.

39 minutes ago, Hylander said:

One year we had a cottage on the Point at Khylerea (sorry for the spelling). on Skye , it was fantastic, the wind blew non stop for a fortnight.

Would go back tomorrow. The Skye bridge was closed on and off.

ww

Hi Monica,

Were you meaning Kyleakin? Or Kylerhea Otter Haven? Have been to both. The seals you see often with McLeods Table (Mountain Range) in the background.

cheersIain

No it is the spot at  Kylerhea.   I just love the wildness of it all and that track you go along with your heart in your mouth all of the time looking down at the drop on one side.        Each day we would see the big ships passing and once or twice the sub would be about.  We often used to see small yachts being pulled along with the tide.    Ok if you are going that way but a real struggle the other.   We think that Gt Yarmouth has a pull tide but there is it scary.  

We did walk to see the Otters which was not far from our holiday home.    Did not see any Otters there but one morning in front of us one was eating a shellfish on the rocks.  We managed to see plenty of deer and several red squirrels.

I can recall thinking we were on our own but our neighbours (residents) used to walk their dog passed our  place and as it was our wedding anniversary while there and I had bought a bottle of Talisker , it was lovely to be able to say would you like a dram of two with us to celebrate.   The wife of the chap next door (about 4 hundred yards away) was from New York.

At low tide we could gather hundreds of mussels which Brian put in a bucket and brought back to the house, we cleaned them and with plenty of wine , fresh bread and garlic to flavour they were consumed.    Never had them so fresh.

http://www.houseonthepoint.co.uk/

• Like 2

Having been on Benbecula in the outer Hebrides in a 3 story steel framed barrack block looking down on the Met office windspeed meter  when it recorded 126 mph. I thought this Storm was vastly over hyped just because they've started naming them. Walking down the corridor in the barrack block you could hear the water sloshing in the loos as the building swayed. 

The BBC had a reporter standing in the rain at Ullapool. Trying to make something of it.