Closure of the Fourth Bridge

Hylander

On 5/12/2015 at 10:10 AM, ranworthbreeze said:

Here is the report from the BBC Scotland regarding the crack found in one of the spars and contingency plans. The bridge has an average of 60,000 vehicles per day. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35001277

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35009410

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan and all,

70,000 per day is the norm and FREE to cross too. It shows how urgent the new bridge is needed. I have crossed the bridge many times, and it is for now, an additional 70 miles commute, 35 each way, into Edinburgh via Kincardine, hopefully Scotrail can put more trains on.

With the festive season here, at least for a fortnight of the closure, many folks will be off on holiday.

The new Queensferry Bridge, slip roads are well on, its just a case of finishing the bridge now. Sadly with the weather this past few weeks, progress will have been very slow indeed for safety reasons.

I have often wondered why they never built a tunnel road on the Forth. Must be some geological fault maybe?

I agree 110% with ChrisB comments, I too never did like those "Iodine" Malt Whiskies!:norty:

I feel really sorry for all the commuters into the Capital, but safety MUST come first IMHO.

xmas6Iain.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, GeoffandWendy said:

A tunnel under the Forth would have to be started at least a couple of miles away from either shore line, in order to get deep enough under the river bed and the cost would be twice as much as a bridge, that's if like Iain said, it might not be geologically feasible. 

Hi Geoff,

Having spoken to a couple of folks from that area, there is a strong chance had they tunnelled down, they would have met the Miners underneath the Firth of Forth! :naughty: Oops!

xmas6Iain.

My brother in law was a miner at Bo'ness on the Firth of Forth (south side 14 miles from Edinburgh) when they closed the pit he went to work at Longannet pit, north side  32 miles by road from Edinburgh). however when he got there he often spent the time working back where they used to, as the pits were connected under the Forth.

it is possible to put tunnels on the Seabed, I think is was in Boston USA where they dropped prefabricated tunnel sections onto the seabed connected them up and had a tunnel with no digging required ( except where they met the land)

On 5 December 2015 at 10:07 AM, Poppy said:

Never mind. They are on the case :naughty:

12347978_1014324341963035_2349470495034770303_n.jpg

Wouldn't  you just love to park up next to the bridge with that load, and look at the faces of the car drivers...

Probably another truck with some huge cable ties and that will really inspire confidence before you cross the bridge after they reopen it lol...

Or better still, a truck with a huge tube of "Leak Fix" before the channel tunnel. 

• Like 1

The Q I believe the Conwy tunnel in N Wales was built like this, the marina on the west side was where they put the sections together and when finished they opened it to the sea and thus had a marina. At the time of building in the 90s I believed it to be the first in Europe of its type, the only other worldwide was Japan, could be wrong.

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

What I want to know is will the new Queensferry Crossing be called the Fifth Bridge?

Hi Paul,

There was a poll up here on the choice of names, and the Queensferry Crossing came out tops. Very appropriate really, as it used to be a ferry between North and South Queensferry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23047293

I hope to be there this time next year when it opens.

xmas6Iain

• Like 1