Wanted: Old fenders for Mooring

We really need some fenders for our new mooring. Our old pontoon mooring had lots of tyres (which we can't steal) but we really need/want to wrap the new mooring up with fenders as it's not a floating one and I still can't drive!. I'm really looking for ones  as large as posible although lots of normal size will be good too. Heaven would be  some large ball fenders and some corner ones. Condition doesn't matter they will just be on the berth, As erm close to freebies as posible please please :angel: (but will happily consider buying if need be).  (Really need a boat jumble :( ). 

Many thanks in advance.

cheers 

If you need tyres, they should be free at any tyre place as they have to pay to dispose of them. However, they do look ugly on a decent berth, and can leave black marks on a GRP hull. 

Failing that... a drive down some country lanes in some places, they can be picked up quite easily, and you'll be doing the local community a favour.

• Like 1

Alan, as an inveterate lost fender retriever I have an odd assortment of them that you would be welcome to, if you could come to Oulton Broad to collect. Can send a photo if you are interested.

If you can find Victoria Terrace, off Victoria Road on the way out of Outon Broad, there is a second hand boat junk shop, as there is at St Olaves, both having plenty of grubby, old fenders.

• Like 2

At our base allot of boats have a drainpipe hanging between fenders and staging (tied to the boat) thus keeping the boat away from said staging.

I don't 'cos I am too lazy to untie it from the boat and tie it to the staging when we go out.

Ask Ma and Pa.

paul

• Like 1

Thanks Viking, I think we really need fenders as not many people seem to have tyres and I agree they make the place look a bit on the rough side and as you say it's not brilliant with fibreglass.

Lol Peter, we used to play that game too.. it really helps grow your helming skill.. Fender at five oclock.. grab the boat hook lol.. Very kind offer if you could kindly send some pictures over I'd be very grateful.  I can't find the shop you mention at victoria terrace on google maps, is it closer to oulton broad. I must admit I didn't quite notice this road was there, we always drive the otherside of the lake to lowestoft. St olaves is a good tip too I forgot about that one! Many thanks cheers 

I've never heard of drainpipe being used Paul, but that's a good idea, I'm looking at basically covering the mooring in fenders, sadly because it's a fix pontoon, in this wind she's being blown into the pontoon so although for now I've used our 4 ball fenders I think it needs tons of fenders (or a few big ones) on the pontoon.. joys of moving berths :(

Thank again chaps cheers 

28 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

You may like to consider  a couple of these - 'Hull Hugr Contour Fender' - they are not too much money, are light weight and can help protect corners just as well as the side of the boat. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SNC6XYY 

I'm not too sure how it would be attached to Friday Girl's hull, Robin?

This image may give a better idea:

HH-1C.GIF

It is much the same as a fender if keeping boat away from quay - but has a larger surface area and is taller so covers more of the hull area than a normal cylindrical fender does.

These seem to me more popular in America and only used as required - unlike fenders that are in position all the time, these tend to be tied on when moored and removed after soothing away - what I like about them is their thickness, density and area to provide contact on the hull - a good idea to have a couple ready for places like Reedham where rise and fall in tide and the profile of the quay mean smaller fenders offer less protection - or when stern moored, to place where required as an extra protection layer than to replace fenders

• Like 2