New Year challenge - famous boatyards and their boats

LizG

Yes Mike, that;s exactly where Mr Toad was. Gary was selling her/him via Boatshed. In the end a survey showed hugely extensive rot in the planks and she sold for around £3,000 and left the Broads. At the time I was looking at the boat a very "traditional" looking "old salt" fella in a huge wool roll top gansey, crooked cap and puffing a curly pipe  (Don't know quite how else to describe him} turned up and says the boat had been on the bottom twice in the broadest norfolk accent I've heard! Should have seen Gary's face!

5 hours ago, springsong said:

That sounds as if it may have been Ronny the rigger if it was Landamores. He drove the crane and was an expert at rigging.

Best give Mr Dack some credit here although retired this year he is still an expert at rigging, I spent many years as a colleague of this lovable but often obtuse character.  Would say though his smock has never been a Woolen gansey, he was (maybe still is, think he had given up) a roll up smoker not not a pipe man.

16 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Yes Mike, that;s exactly where Mr Toad was. Gary was selling her/him via Boatshed. In the end a survey showed hugely extensive rot in the planks and she sold for around £3,000 and left the Broads. At the time I was looking at the boat a very "traditional" looking "old salt" fella in a huge wool roll top gansey, crooked cap and puffing a curly pipe  (Don't know quite how else to describe him} turned up and says the boat had been on the bottom twice in the broadest norfolk accent I've heard! Should have seen Gary's face!

VetChugger, is that the shed on the opposite side of the lane from Landamores main yard - the shed where the Vestellas were located in their hiring days.

Roy

VetChugger, is that the shed on the opposite side of the lane from Landamores main yard - the shed where the Vestellas were located in their hiring days.

I can answer that  yes, that was where my boat used to  live and where i bought it from

1 hour ago, chameleon said:

I can answer that  yes, that was where my boat used to  live and where i bought it from

Thanks Mike,

It was just interesting to see a Constellation in that shed as I had my first Broads holiday on Vestella 4 from that shed in late August 1958 and also had two holidays on Constellation 2 in 1964 and 66. Unfortunately Constellation 2 was broken up about 3 years ago after breaking her back being lifted out at (I think) Beccles.

Roy

www.lightningcruiser.com

Springsong, the boat in front of Vesta 2 is from Hearts and is either Heartbeat or Heart-throb.

What happened to them? They were lovely boats. I remember that the new owner of Heartbeat, in the 70's, found her in such good condition that he burnt the paint off the mahogany hull and brought it up in varnish. As every screw had been dowelled in, this was easily possible.

This topic is progressing nicely - it would nice to think at the end of the day it would be nice to think that there is at least one boat surviving from many of the yards.  The more boats surviving I suppose is testament to that yard's boatbuilding skills or may be just luck in some cases.  The fact there are so many Brooms boats still around says something ..........

I would offer the reason that some older woodies survive to this day is simply 'Luck'

Assuming boat building skills were not too far apart yard to yard, it's down to the type of wood used in the construction.  With 'B.A' we have been lucky in that her hog / frames / planks were all of Burmese Teak, not cotton caulking but teak strips instead.  Her cabin sides suffered - originally mahogany as did her decks / roofs -  originally plywood.

Take 'Malanka' she has been lucky in the fact that her present owners have deep enough pockets as a huge amount of her hull had to be recently re-planked - a stunning Brooms woody it would be hard to find a better example of, Brooms wooden boat building skills up to the 70's were arguably second to none but she still suffered due to a Mahogany hull - nowt you can do to avoid this, but then the woody hire fleet were not designed / built to last the amount of years that some of them have done

Plus of course nowadays when these restorations are carried out we have far better more modern methods and quality of products for prevention of rot and longevity

Griff

• Like 4

We, none of us actually own a Broads boat, we borrow it until the next owner takes it on. Luck, yes, in finding the right owner who, like me, was taught that when you borrow something you return it in as good if not better condition than when you first borrowed it.

Doesn't always happen, I know, leaving the next owner to catch up on things. My daughter Hannah's boat 'Spray', built in 1908 by Press at Belaugh, is still going strong despite being sunk on Hickling during WWII in order to discourage the dastardly Hun from landing in sea-planes.  Subsequently she had several caring owners with both time and dosh to do their bit. One pair of owners had a rather bitter divorce meaning that when Hannah found her languishing in a wet-shed at Potter she needed a fair amount of work having been abandoned for several years, neither previous owner lifting a finger to help her. Thankfully there are yards like Martham that allow DIY, and offer sound advice, which means that many more boats are still afloat that otherwise would have rotted away,

Where there is a will there will be a way, that's boat ownership for you. Uncared for a boat can very quickly go downhill, even a plastic one. Lucky boats are boats that have owners that have the will as well as the means to care for them. 

• Like 3

Landamores I am sad to say only a few remain Taurus last time I saw her was on Riverside in Norwich.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=1415&BoatHistory=1594

I am sure there must be others or at least I hope so.

There is at least one of these

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Style_Details&style=TuTL90

and of course the lovely Snowgoose

top.jpg

top.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, springsong said:

Not much of a photo of a Constellation at her home base in Horning in 1962.

We were on Vesta 2 in the foreground, in fact I think that is me in the cockpit.

Here in the background are some Sheerlines, forward control two berth cruisers.

Chumley & Hawkes dyke 1962.jpg

Wanderbird _ at Chumley & Hawkes.jpeg

springsong,

With your pic being 1962 the Constellation would be No 1 as we hired No 2 in July 64 and one of the boatyard guys said it was her first full season.

Roy

5 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Plus of course nowadays when these restorations are carried out we have far better more modern methods and quality of products for prevention of rot and longevity

Griff

The prevention of longevity? Make full use of MDF and chipboard!

Don't forget Dawncraft of Wroxham. Myself and 2 friends hired this one, September Dawn, in 1965(I think) taken at Coltishall Lock and just the year before we hired 'Dawn Huntress' as a family shown here at Potter.

how could I bill , hired silver dawn 1970

img023.jpg

• Like 3