Historically Broads - Griffin Family

Ok, herewith just one slide photo scanned by Bro' and sent over this evening.

The year was either 1966 or 67.  The boat is Admiral Seven.  Location - unknown

From left to right, Dave, Candy Dog,  Mum,  Uncle Vernon,   Andrew Fisher,   Grandma Griffin,  Howard Griffin,  Into the dinghy Eddie,  and ME! (Griff)

We are guessing as to the year as Howard born May 64 so make your own minds up.  from the photo only 3 x people still alive, Me, Bro and Eddie

Griff

BA NBN 165.JPG

• Like 9

Yes we have thousands of em to go through, then there is the normal paper photo's to deal with too.  Obviously they all won't / can't go on here, but a small selection will do.   Once they are all scanned, catalogued and dated as best we can they will be transferred to discs.  The Broads images alone - Adnams Girl (Carol) will then get the lot to use or not as the case may be as she see's fit.  (And it was only a lolly !)

Griff

• Like 9

Fabulous to travel back in time with these photos and share them with us here, thank you.

I had a thought though that as well as storing the digitised photos on disc, it is a simple process to upload them to a website to share with people (or just a select few who have a special link) in bulk.

There are many such websites, but frankly I don't see Google going bust any time soon and there is no need to sign up with an account since you already have a Google ID (for You Tube it makes sense.  Then you can share here galleries of photos and acts as a backup for the future too.  Here is my little collection that I wish over the years I had taken far more of!

Here is the link to Google Photos: https://www.google.com/photos/about/

Look forward to more spinets from your past adventures in time :)

Great photos - and wow! Don't you look like your dad!!

Many thanks for sharing these and thank you in advance for allowing me to add them to the Broadland Memories website. By the looks of the sample photos, the Griffin Family collection will be a fantastic addition to the archive! cheers

Carol

• Like 2

Great to see the Admiral Seven. This was my first experience of the Broads in 1963. It was new that year. I might add that I was still at school! Pretty sure that we took it under Potter bridge to Hickling. Would it go under then bridge now I wonder? These old,pictures are magic. When I married we then hired from Hearts so the thread on that part of the Broads has been interesting. The first was the Queen of Hearts, the second the which is for sale in Richardsons. Cannot think where it has been as it still has the original logo. Would love to buy that if time would allow to refurb for nostalgia's sake. Lots of happy memories on that boat when the kids were small and   my then husband and my mother were still alive.Cannot get rid of the jumping pirate!

Regards

Pauline

3 hours ago, oceandawn said:

Great to see the Admiral Seven. This was my first experience of the Broads in 1963. It was new that year. I might add that I was still at school! Pretty sure that we took it under Potter bridge to Hickling. Would it go under then bridge now I wonder? These old,pictures are magic. When I married we then hired from Hearts so the thread on that part of the Broads has been interesting. The first was the Queen of Hearts, the second the which is for sale in Richardsons. Cannot think where it has been as it still has the original logo. Would love to buy that if time would allow to refurb for nostalgia's sake. Lots of happy memories on that boat when the kids were small and   my then husband and my mother were still alive.Cannot get rid of the jumping pirate!

Regards

Pauline

Pauline,

Don't know if she would have gone under Potter as we hired her in 1982 for two weeks and there was definitely a plate on the dash saying this boat will not pass under Wroxham or Potter Heigham bridges. I remember this because as we couldn't go under Wroxham we moored at Lloynes and took the train to Norwich.

Roy

I've not been ignorant here, just been away working away in Whitby since Tuesday, it was raining on my arrival there and only stopped mid afternoon today.  Back home this evening.  I did try to post by mobile midweek but failed spectacularly.  Bro' has been uploading more slides but as of yet I have not seen them.  Game shooting all day tomorrow, Sunday is estimate / paperwork day then back to Whitby for all next week so it will be a while before I can get caught up.  Attached is a paper photo took form a camera obviously Herbert Woods and we reckon Shining Light in 64 - Mum, Bro, Grandma, Dad, Candie dog and Me

56902b7680cc3_BANBN167.thumb.jpg.1616718

Re Admirals and PHB - We often took them through in the sixties / seventies.  One memorable occasion - it would have been around 74-ish Dad went to the Pilots office asking him to take through two Admirals and one Supreme Commander. the bridge Pilot told him in no uncertain terms - not a prayer was he going to do what Dad could do very well himself, the upshot was that we took them through ourselves and back again of course with no mishap.  During our Lads Week with Brooms and the Admirals/Supreme Commanders - we always visited Coltishall, it was a regular stop so Wroxham bridge held no fears or problems in those days.  Forthcoming photo's will of course bear all this out

Barry - Loynes - Yes could have been and thanks for the help

Griff

• Like 2