Historically Broads - Griffin Family

Wonderful photos! :)

The last photo of the wherry has also been scanned in reverse - below is as it should be. You can read the owners name Thain - is it possibly Lord Roberts? Had she lost her mast by 1964? I'm sure that someone will be able to give a positive ID.

As for location - it looks as though it might be Womack Staithe to me?

Carol

griff_wherry.JPG

• Like 1

On 11 January 2016 at 1:06 PM, springsong said:

Carol I am not sure about the wherry name other than Lord Roberts was certainly used as a lighter in her latter years. The location how ever you are quite correct, I remember well the big Wind boat moored in front of the Flat a float.

The wherry is not Albion as she is clinker built. In the 60's, this must have been Lord Roberts. I don't remember any others looking as good as that.

Just round the corner at the mouth of the dyke is where my yard was.

Surely the privately built Windboat that you mention, was called Springsong?

• 9 months later...

Life sure is full of surprises

Around 14 years ago I tiled a kitchen floor for a retired couple in their mid 70's. They are a nice retired couple, this was the first time I met them. Around 8 years ago they got me back to tile their conservatory floor. This week I have been working on a full bathroom conversion at the request of their son who is my age. The retired couple, Ken and Margaret are now in their 80's They are well on, Ken is very unsteady on his feet, Margaret is a bright spark but is tired with a dicky ticker, however they smile a lot and although their bodies are frail, they are both still 'With It' especially Margaret. They are a lovely couple in a lovely bungalow and a caring family never far from them both

I have now set the scene.

Today I finished wall tiling, by tomorrow it will be grouted, polished off, job done. Mid afternoon, Ken comes tapping his walking stick along the hall to the bathroom, I'm thinking he needs the toilet, (Ken is not a man of many words) he is right in my face, no 'Excuse Me' or 'Can I have a word'

'What's Your proper name'? he demands.
'Charlie Griffin' I reply without hesitation
'Does the name Crompton Parkinson mean anything to you'?
I reply 'Yes it does, it's an electrical manufacturer on Wheatley Hall Rd in Donny, now just a small shadow of what it used to be, it is also the place in the early fifties where my Mum and Dad worked and met each other'
Ken ' Yes and your Dad was called Harold. I will never forget him flying by wires above an audience back on to the stage'

With that he tapped off with his walking stick back to the lounge leaving me with my jaw on the floor.

Margaret then called me into the lounge for a cup of tea, I'm still somewhat bewildered at this stage. I sat down, accepted the tea, Ken then proceeded to tell me that Harold Griffin was the best friend he ever had. Margaret stated my Mum was called Marion (Correct of course) and that both of them were great friends of my Mum and Dad. Margaret presented me with an open wedding photo album. My heart sunk, but I had to be polite and show an interest.

Then my jaw hit the deck again, this time the carpet.

The page that the album was opened at was the attached photo, Not only was Dad in the photo he was the best man for their wedding ceremony in 1953! (Dad is furthest left on the photo) I just couldn't quite believe what I was looking at. They then went onto to tell me that they have both met me and Howard (Bro') when our Dad was the 'Popman'  we were both under 12 yrs old and used to accompany him for pocket money.

The both of them got pretty emotional as we reminisced. They knew that both Mum and Dad had died but not when or details etc The fly by wire thing was for a pantomime at Crompton Parkinson, then Donny Reps at the civic theatre.

Tomorrow is my last half day working at Kens and Margaret's. Howard has found a scrap / Photo album of our Mums, yes both Ken and Margaret are in it, I will be taking it with me tomorrow morning.

So why am I posting this in the 'Historical Section? - Well Ken and Margaret stated that they had been on the Norfolk Broads with Mum and Dad on a boating holiday before me and Howard was even born in the fifties!

I'm so pleased to have met them 'Properly' my only regret is why didn't Ken approach me 14 years ago when I first met them for the kitchen floor tiling job. I would have offered them a weekend afloat onboard 'Broad Ambition' sadly now I fear it is too late as they are both somewhat unsteady on their feet. What I will do is ask their son / Daughter-in-law what they think and if it is possible I will get them afloat down memory lane

Griff

BA NBN 288.JPG

BA NBN 289.JPG

• Like 13

Update - I took some photo albums to them this morning. (I have left them with them for a few days). They were pouring over them and found quite a few photo's of themselves in the albums. Earlier this evening I received a very nice e-mail off their son. He also remembers as a little lad at home with Ken / Margaret being visited by my Mum / Dad. He now wants a proper handshake next time we meet and told me that 'His' tiler is no longer 'Griff the Tiler' but a family friend. I'm feeling somewhat chuffed with that. Spooky thing is the son has the same wedding photo of this Mum / Dad on his wall at his house, I've tiled his kitchen last year and never saw it! I have not mentioned to Ken and Margaret about getting them afloat as I don't want to get their hopes up only for it not to happen. What I have done is broached the subject with their son. I will discuss the possibility with him face to face, then probably take him down to visit 'Broad Ambition' over a weekend (That's a bugger eh?) and ask him make the decision whether it is possible or not, it's his Mum and Dad after all. If they do come I will obviously take them on the understanding that he is there with us. This is one very exciting journey

Griff

• Like 12

• 2 years later...

Today I had a day orf from my normal working routine.  I had a funeral to attend to in Chesterfield

The deceased gentleman (Ray) was a long standing friend of my late Dads.  Ray died this month aged 88.  I have not seen or been in contact with Rays family since the late 70's.  So there I was at Brimmington crematorium.

During the service I was astounded to hear that Ray had 16 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren - They have been busy.  The name 'Harold Griffin' was mentioned during the service and that his eldest son was here today (That was me of course)

We then went onto the Chesterfield football stadium for the wake.  There were dozens and dozens of photographs of Ray and his family and mates as you would expect.  One in particular caught my eye, A photo of my Dad onboard Admiral VII.  I sent the photo to my daughter / son as you would.  Nadine asked how on earth was there a photo of her late Grandad onboard 'B.A'   I explained to her that it was not 'B.A' but that we had modelled 'B.A's galley doors on the doors that were fitted to the Admirals and that they looked the same as they would do so.

I knew Ray and his late wife Cath and most of his offspring way before I met my MrsG, I would have been about 12 years old and upwards

It was some emotional hours for me during that wake and I was so glad to be there.  I have invited Rays sons/ daughters onboard 'B.A' for a trip down memory lane as and when.  There are six of them plus partners.   Many of his offspring spent many holidays afloat with our family,

Herewith my Dad onboard Admiral VII sometime in the 70's.   The photo you see is taken from my phone so the quality ain't that good

Griff

BA NBN 500.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

if you still have a slide projector, you can set up a camera on a tripod and photograph the screen - alternatively get one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OIQ1NJY/ref=asc_df_B00OIQ1NJY58142110/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B00OIQ1NJY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310827040728&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15336243644234397558&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006602&hvtargid=pla-441831973898&th=1&psc=1

this is the top rated one and at a reasonable price.

I have an old fashioned slide converter that fits instead of the lens on my dslr camera

slideduplicator.jpg

• Like 2

Using a projector and photographing the screen works surprisingly well. The camera attachment looks good too. 

I also use one of these, a Nikon Coolscan. It's an old model which can be picked up cheaply but gives very good results. 

You do need some sort of magnification otherwise the pictures will be very grainy. The ones to avoid IMHO are the small box type scanners which scan the slide direct.  

DSC_1513.JPG

Griff, what a blessing to link up with people who knew your family. Thanks for sharing. I loved reading the posts from a few years back when you realised you had this connection with the family. Also appreciate the photos from your childhood. I think (judging from earlier posts on this forum) that we are the same age. There aren’t many photos from my early childhood, so I loved seeing your photos from the 60s.

Thanks!

Helen

• Thanks 1

Helen, you are welcome.

I would never ask a Lady her age.  I'm 58 and if all goes to plan will make 59 this August.

I have literally thousands of photo's many of them on slide up our loft, yes I also have the machine to convert them to digital.  There are also some cine films somewhere I believe too.  My issue is trying to find time to process and sort them all - Lazy / poor excuse I know, but there you go.

Griff

• Like 2