Game Shooting - Documentory

Thursday just gone, I had organised a clay shoot / BBQ for our Harvey Arms Sunday night club. (Last year my Lad organised a day out - Karting - nearly killed the lot of us) so this year I stepped up to the plate.  A private affair with four traps set up in the field, then over to the farmhouse for a BBQ on completion.  26 on the guest list.  around 40 clay targets per gun.  Most of whom had never held a shotgun let alone had chance to use one.  We had four instructor / safety guns of whom I was one.  The evening went very well, all enjoyed it and I got much 'Well Done Griff' (Someone else's turn next time)

Herewith a very dangerous situation, My MrsG in charge of a shotgun, a more lethal combination I cannot think of. (The gun is a 28 gauge)

Griff

BA NBN 330.JPG

• Like 4

Just to add a 'NB'  one of the safety instructors (Who I regularly game shoot with) was showing the guests how to get on using one of his 12g shotguns.  Sometime during proceedings he asked one of the guests to pass him his gun (It was open at rest on the grass) Guest did as requested and asked him what that particular gun was worth, the reply:-   It's one of a matching pair of which I bought two years ago, Brand new I paid £40k for them.

Yes dear reader you read that right -  FORTY THOUSAND!   for two 12g game guns :shocked

Griff

• Like 2

I was aware of the Shadows connection Vaughan, it's just that I'm a jazz freak and prefer Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. Tony Meehan was good, and a touch more recent, the drummer out of Dire Straits (Terry Williams I think) when they did their "Sultans of Swing" live for Alchemy.

I just love a good bit of drumming.

Sent on my tin can with knotted string 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am off on Saturday morning to the CLA Game Fair at Hatfield House. If you are a member od BASC it is complimentary entry this year. Meeting my eldest son so looking forwards to it.

• Thanks 1

I had a most enjoyable weekend, however it rained very hard overnight Saturday in Bucks, Beds and Herts.  Sunday was  OK but The Game Fair decided to do a "Glastonbury". Thanks heavens for good wellies! I think some very expensive shoes belonging to both sexes are now in the bin.20170730_094658.thumb.jpg.c6f427e552caf27a9dc8f5972a3747e0.jpg*20170730_093938.thumb.jpg.4f0cc9cb7c8c39b3b379d02a16b8eb5d.jpg

Looks well attended.

My clay shooting time has been suffering of late.  I always said that it was at the bottom priority of my 3 x hobbies - Broads 1st then Tiger, then Game shooting.  Clay shooting is just an 'As and When' trouble with that it, it's addictive, plus the regular crowd I shoot with tend to start giving me verbals if I don't show up.  Added to that is my local clay shoot is open just every second Sunday.  The open days are by coincidence falling proper wrong of late.  I missed the last Sunday opening as I was onboard 'B.A', This Sunday it's open - I'm on 'B.A' again.  Fortnight after that - Yes onboard 'B.A' again in Beccles - Sigh.  Still it's a nice predicament to be in suppose.  We do go to a local private clay shoot on a farm 1st Wednesday evening of every month (It's only open once a month), so this Wednesday I'll be there.

I could do with there being a clay shoot on the Broads walking distance from a river - only that wouldn't sit right with the local wildlife not to mention the byelaw of no firearms allowed on or anywhere adjacent to a river

Griff

• 2 months later...

Had my first Game shoot of the season today as a 'Guest Gun' on a local farmers shoot.  Small bag of 23 by the end of the day.  Great day out in the countryside, it remained dry too.  Macie dog excelled herself once again.  She is now sleeping for Yorkshire of course, well she is over 9Yrs now.  I bagged 4 x french partridge and two cock pheasants on the last drive alone which made me 'Top Gun' for the day (There's a first)  Cartridges used - 'Clever' game 30:5gram 7's with Fibre wad

Then with it being the first Wednesday of the month it was also our clay shooting evening followed by pub dinner.  On 'Down The Line' I missed just ONE - ONE - Proper frustrating, I would have sooner missed five than one.  Cartridges used 32gram with plaswad (Need to get these used up)

Anyroadup, it's the Lads week commencing this coming Friday night.  I'm down for duty galley slave onboard  Saturday evening - I shall now be cooking Roast Pheasant, with all the trimmings for six crew.

Griff

Not a very clear photo, my lad with our Macie conveniently turning her back to me!
Griff

59d5626b21f5e_BANBN363.thumb.JPG.8e47ee50001d5752b55c025aca7792ac.JPG

Had my first day out this year yesterday. It was a really nice day, partridge flew well, some flew better than the guns could shoot so the banter was good as well.
It is nice to see that there are some other game shooters on the forum, I hope everyone has a good season.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the first day on 'Our Shoot'  I'm all ready to go.  Gear prepped / cleaned and ready for the off.  Macie dog has been informed, which in hindsight was not a wise thing to tell her as she probably won't sleep tonight with excitement.  Mount Pleasant Hotel in t morning for a proper expensive breakfast followed by meeting at the farm.  I'm so looking forward to this.

There'll be a brace or two of pheasant hanging on MrsG's hanging basket brackets by tomorrow evening which she is never happy about

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All gear cleaned / prepped and ready to go for the morning.  0830 - Mount Pleasant hotel for a v. expensive breakfast, then onto the farm, meet the beaters / pickers / dogs etc.  Draw pegs and off we go.  Macie Dog is probably not sleeping in anticipation tonight

Griff

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What a day, just what a day!

Met at the hotel for B'fast as per the norm then off to the farm.  I drew peg 7 with a guest gun number 8 to my right - A British Airways jumbo jet pilot no less. All through the day I did my level best to make sure our guest gun was in the shooting, on more than one occasion leaving 'My' birds for him.  Total bag for the day was 73, we try to limit it to around 50 odd but historically we fail on that one.  Shot ratio for the day was just a shade over four to one.  Eight guns as per the norm, my tally was three pheasants and eight partridge.  My best bird was a v.high partridge which I was well pleased with, no one more surprised than me that I brought it down first barrel. Lots of comments from the other guns and beaters at how lucky I was that the partridge flew into my shot pattern! 

Best moment of the day? My Macie dog on a blind retrieve unaided on the last drive, I got many complements stating she did the best retrieve of the day by a country mile. I was so proud of her. I won the sweepstake on cartridges used too! it was then back to the farmhouse for dinner with the guns.

Got back home with one very dirty Macie dog, it was just unfortunate that the last drive was muddy, very soft and wet.  It's not really clear in the photo's but she was proper filthy and somewhat smelly too.  Nowt for it but to get her in the shower, the only real way to do this is to be in the shower with her.  Took me an age to get her clean, the reward for her for her day out and working so well? Sardines with her tea, then a brush and hair drier after her shower, bliss for her.

Grandson number two 'Charlie' staying with me and MrsG overnight for the first time, 2 x brace of pheasant hanging outside, one very tired but happy Macie dog and a very contented purring MrsG

Life's good sometime innit?

Griff

BA NBN 373.JPG

BA NBN 374.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Apparently 'Or Lot' are going on a special clay shoot day in April.  First 'Special' clay shoot day out this year (There's some t'other ones booked further on in t year). 'Raisethorpe Flyers' - Never been there before.  It's a tad expensive for my level but I'm expected to attend or be a boring anti-social fart. 

700 x cartridges, Clays,  B'fast, Lunch, Dinner, drinks Transport on the estate etc etc.

Looks Like I'll be saving up again, that's all I ever seem to do nowadays, is ave up for sommat or t'other

Griff

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh,  Today is clay shooting day again.  Only it's chucking it down with rain here good n proper.  Now where me n hobbies are concerned, and I mean outdoor hobbies - shooting, fishing and Tiger riding and the like, they ain't much fun in t rain.  And they by their very nature are supposed to be fun.  So it looks like a day indoors then :default_badday:

Griff

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Now where me n hobbies are concerned, and I mean outdoor hobbies - shooting, fishing and Tiger riding and the like, they ain't much fun in t rain. 

Just for the moment I can't think of any "outdoor" hobby that isn't less fun if it's raining!!!