Toll on The New Cut

Guest KeithC

Hi Folks

Showing my age now.

Does anyone remember the old toll bridge { Haddiscoe} on the New Cut.

This was a river toll, and the guy in the little hut used to stick a net on a long pole out of his window to your boat in order for you to pay the river toll?

Feeling ancient now. :cry:

Keith

Norfolk

I'm far too young and new to all this to remember something like that, however I do find it frightening to think you used to actually have to pay to use that awful thing! :shock:

Hi Plesbit.

That was before the present concrete bridge was built to replace the old ancient bridge.

Oh:; I am making myself feel even older now. I will believe you when you say you are far too young to remember it--Lucky you !!!

Keith

Norfolk :bow

So anyone know exactly what year the concrete bridge was completed and opened? My guess would be around 1965, I do know that major repairs had to be carried out to it during the late 60's due to its sheer weight constantly sinking the 80ft pilings that it was built on, which in turn caused large cracks to appear in the roadsurface. During this time for many months it was only open to single file traffic and had weight restrictions imposed until the necesary strengthning work was completed. :o:)

Julz :wave

• 1 year later...

Hi

Construction on the new road bridge at Haddisoce began in March 1960 and it was opened to traffic on the 15th May 1961. You can find out all you ever wanted to know, and more, about Haddiscoe bridge on the link below:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vSZAnyWpzDcC&pg=RA2-#PRA2-PA536,M1

There is also an interesting old EDP article on the making of the New Cut itself here:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/HiddenNorfolk/asp/2003/01/Cut1.asp

Carol

Oh Bruce .... stop it ... you're making me blush! :oops:

I tend to consider myself to be an archivist rather than an historian as there are far more people out there who know an awful lot more about Broadland's history than me. I do however have reams of notes I have taken over the last few years, some superb books to refer to .... and I am very good a Googling! :naughty:

Glad that you are enjoying my website though ... it's thanks to everyone that takes the time to scan their old photos, or write down their memories that it is the site it is! cheersbar

Carol