Hm Ships / Mtb102 / Nbn

I have a few items on my personal bucket list left to get ticked off, I've been doing quite well over the past few years achieving some of them but there is more to go.  Achieving bucket list items is only possible of course if one makes the effort.  One item that concerns 'B.A' is to get her alongside HMS Explorer for photographs and drinks with the ships company whilst alongside in Gt Yarmouth. Reason for this is that HMS Explorer was my last sea-going draft (94 - 97) whilst I was in the Royal Navy.  She is also the ship that the RN kindly allowed me onboard for a trip from Tower Bridge in London to Hull via Lowestoft back in April 2012 for some electronic navigation refresher training. I have tried to make the GYA photo thing happen before but not achieved it.  Not one to give up I got of my proverbial derrière and contacted the present Commanding Officer of HMS Explorer (They change over about every 30 odd months) early last week, thinking to myself, If I ask for more than an alongside photo and drinks then he can knock me back to what I want to achieve.  Not a bit of it he went for the full package and is glad to do so.

----------------------------------------------------------

So what's the full package?

HM Ships Explorer and Trumpeter will arrive in Gt Yarmouth on the 20th July time tbc  MTB102 will arrive in Gt Yarmouth on the same day as will Broad Ambition of course.  There will then be photographs and a get together / drinks in the normal fashion, all craft remaining alongside overnight.

Thursday 21st at 0900, HM Ships Explorer and Trumpeter / MTB102 / Broad Ambition slip and proceed to sea for photographs and manoeuvres off the coast for up to two hours ALONG WITH the following:-

Passengers (Ten maximum) of the NBN onboard MTB102 AND private craft of the NBN with skippers / crew that choose to accompany / make up the flotilla

On completion NBN craft and MTB102 return to GYA (Or wherever) and onwards to their chosen locations.  HM Ships carry on to their next destination

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have cleared the above with Jonzo before going public with this and he is happy for it to be organized within the hallowed pages of the NBN

'B.A's crew is already allocated

MTB102 - Passengers will be asked to pay £30 per head to the skipper (Richard) to cover her running cost for the day or part thereof.  (Any shortfall I will personally make good) I've got a proper soft spot for MTB102 not to mention a huge amount of respect / admiration of her and I can't / won't have her using her financial reserves when she relies on donations to keep her going.  There is a video link of her at the bottom of this post that our very own LondonRascal did and is now on her website.  (There is also a link to HMS Explorer.)

So if you fancy a day out onboard MTB102 with the NBN flotilla and HM Ships then pm me your names, you will be responsible for getting yourself to GYA and back again etc, should we be over-subscribed for those ten px places I will draw names out of a hat = first ten (I'll video the draw to show it is done fairly)

NBN Craft - Skippers - your call but I would humbly request if you have room onboard your craft to take NBN forumites that don't have a suitable craft, then would you be good enough to consider doing so?

Media:-  The Commanding Officer of HMS Explorer will be notifying 'The Navy News' of the event.  As far as we are aware this will be the first time that the modern Royal Navy 'P2000' class has been at sea with MTB102 - Current and original together for the first time.     This is where I need your help, can you either contact (or give me contact details) of medial outlets that we should consider including in the event (Someone is bound to say Press officer of the Broads Authority)

Jonzo - As discussed  -  'We're going to need a BIGGER NBN flag' hopefully I can get it up the mast of MTB102 or a formites gin palace that has a big enough mast!

Robin - (Londonrascal) will be doing plenty of filming from onboard 'B.A' and two of his hand picked accomplices from other platforms so that he can put together / edit a special blog of the event, this will no doubt end up on the MTB102 website and copies going to the HM Ships.

---------------------------------------------------------

So who is up for it?

What else needs to be done - Well how about some sort of NBN social evening on the 21st at a suitable location?  Seems a shame to to just disperse when there will be a fair few of us together.

Anyroadup - Over to you,

Griff

Robin - MTB102:-

HMS EXPLORER:- http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/the-fighting-arms/surface-fleet/patrol/archer-class/hms-explorer

MTB102 Website:- http://www.mtb102.com/

• Like 5

Well Peter, I can't see owt getting in the way of this one other than the weather.  I can't see the RN and MTB102 standing for any nonsense from the doom and gloom scaremongers located 'elsewhere'     Meeting up with the NBN summer meet on the 22nd on completion is an added bonus.     Three options available to skippers.  1)  Carry on to Lowestoft, through Mutford lock into Oulton     2)  Back in at GYA and then up the Waveney to Oulton in the normal manner,     3)  Back to home base or wherever

Griff

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm working away this week so can only do this ny iPhone and mot too good at it either

Zeta - done

Baitrunner - alongside either one of the P2000's or MTB, probably town house quay, not a prayer of keeping up when they fo a high speed run, but otherwise should be ok

Griff

• Like 1

During April to October. If you see a big green steam trawler called the Lydia Eva Registration YH 89,  moor harbour mouth side of that you are there. And It's known as Hall Quay till past the Town hall. Then its South Quay

LE.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Griff,

Getting close now. Any news on timings yet as I need to get my bridge lifts organised and don't want to leave it too late.

Zeta,

Are you still going along as well? Not sure what air draft you have, but if you also need a bridge lift might be worth while trying to synchronise ourselves?

I am down to 1 crew member now as well.