• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I managed to load my little video of the outward journey across Breydon on Friday afternoon. Hope it works ok. IMG_7462.MOV
  3. Update ......... 3 x battery combiners and the Webasto heater now sold. Sterling Inverter and the Advec battery management system still available.
  4. Thanks for the unequivocal replies. Probably a bit of a numpty question. it's more or less what I assumed but thought I'd make sure. I suppose I was hoping to get away with a bit less work being done but good to get that notion out of my head
  5. Today
  6. I looked out of the window at about 6.30 this morning to see some dead reeds sitting in the water, not going anywhere at all. Must have been exactly on the tide turn. We had a walk up to the Herringfleet smock mill before setting off on a leisurely trip through St Olaves and on to Burgh Castle. I noticed the gauge on the upstream side of the bridge (ie before the bridge if heading for Great Yarmouth) reads about 4” higher than on the downstream side. Whatever the readings, we had plenty of room. We moored very easily at Burgh Castle at about 12oclock and took the dogs up to the castle/fort. The view from there really is very good. On passing the Fisherman’s Arms it did look rather closed, with a padlock on the gate to the terrace, but on our way back I saw the door from the carpark was open, and there was a wonderful smell of fish and chips, so my fears of the pub being properly shut seemed unfounded. The boat was beginning to do its disappearing act on our return. We had a relaxed lunch and whiled away the time. About half hour before I planned to leave, I realised the dogs ought to be taken out before it became too difficult to get them off the boat. I always use the stern door as the dog towels are close to hand. Our system was for me to climb off, and Tony to then pass me the lead before seeing to the dog. The other dog was shut in the boat while this was going on. Charlie had to be lifted off and back on as he was too nervous to jump up and down but Finlay who’s much more used to being asked to do wierd things on the boat, was fine. Not quite sure how he managed to jump up, but he did. We left Burgh Castle a bit earlier than intended, at 16.25 with low tide at the yacht station being at 16.35. The wind was blowing quite a lot harder than it had been at lunchtime and I didn’t want too bumpy a ride back. Normally I end up turning onto the Bure and finding the boat working hard as I seem to get the jitters and depart across Breydon a bit early for the slack. Today, it seemed just about right. And very happily, we had over 3’ more clearance under the bridges than on Friday. I was still constantly checking on my way across though, as if by some strange incident, the tide was suddenly going to flood in. I’m very relieved it behaved today. Tony got to see the mudflats he missed on Fridays journey. The quay heading at Ashtree Farm windpump was properly visible, as it should have been on Friday when it was nearly overtopping near to low tide. Stokesby BA mooring was full so we continued to Acle Bridge, arriving at 19.45, conveniently between two rain showers. It probably took us longer than some people to come up the Bure but I wasn’t in any hurry as I knew there’d be mooring spots free at Acle (we’re on the Pedro’s side) and I have lights. And sods’ law it has just started raining again, just when I need to put the dogs out.
  7. She would have been welcome to pop in to me for a cup of tea, if that was the case
  8. At least you didn't go all the way to Watford this time 😊.
  9. As others have stated do NOT rely on a single or two fender hook fixings to support a wringing wet persons weight , you need ideally a through hull fixing with a sturdy mounting plate behind .
  10. I would use the cleat, and before using it check it is really secure to the boat. I have seen fender eyes ripped out of boats just by brushing fenders too hard. the last thing you would want is to get halfway up the ladder and then have the thing it was secured to break loose.
  11. No. You need something bolted right through the fibreglass, with a backing pad. That's what I'd do, if I were me.
  12. things? I'm looking for a place to attach a home - made emergency rope ladder. My plan was to stick a wire across two fender eyelets and hang the ladder from that. Otherwise I could attach the ladder to one eyelet only. Is this a recipe for success or otherwise? The eyelets seem strong but maybe not enough. In general is this a bad idea? Maybe this is an impossible question to answer and I should stick it onto a mooring cleat which, though it would make ladder access inconvenenient should be strong enough. I do have rails along the boat which seem strong too. I'm not sure how to tell
  13. I seem to have a shallow sleep. Disturbed by dreams. Some good, some a bit frightening, but it would seem that I cannot remember them.
  14. Perhaps, just perhaps, this is an opportunity for the Broads Authority to make a contribution to this conversation. After all they take advantage of the tolls that the LA provide. And yet they seem unable to offer a constructive criticism. It would seem that they are unable to contribute or are restricted. There does need to be a dialogue which is sadly lacking.
  15. Jbx5

My Day

At least they are useful it could have been worst with someone with a degree in diversity and inclusion!
  16. The great one going around on social media at the moment is jet planes cloud seeding. Must be true because it was posted by George down the road who got a D in woodwork. Says Mandy who got a C in Domestic science, so must be a scientist.
  17. Instead? Blooming predictive text again! Irstead! We had a very pleasant walk to Alderfen Broad this afternoon. A bit rainy on the way back though.
  18. Hi Natasha, welcome to the forum. I wouldn't recommend Brundall Gardens Marina, try all the others first.
  19. I have just seen a trailer for a new channel 4 series. 'Narrow Escapes' is about live aboards on the canal network, first episode is at 4.00pm next Monday.....might be worth setting to record?
  20. Welcome to the forum Natasha52.......very best of luck with your boat and moorings.
  21. I'll 2nd Will Kirby. He did our boat last month. Great service provided.
  22. Following the electrical upgrades I've made to the boat (and posted elsewhere on this forum) I thought it might be worthwhile seeing if anybody could make use of the items I removed from the boat before I disposed of them. Sterling Pro Combi Q - combined invertor charger 12v DC / 240v Quasi Sine wave 1500 watt Includes remote control panel. good working condition £75.00 3 x Battery combiners 12volts / 100amps good working order. £5.00 each Advec battery management unit 12V Negative regulation. good working order. £15.00 45 x Legrand fuses 6x2amp, 15x4amp, 9x6amp, 5x8amp, 5x10amp, 5x16amp all checked and in good working order. £10.00 for the lot Webasto HL18D heater - full unit sold for spares Non-working when we purchased the boat Fuel pump and glow plug tested and working. Not able to test the SG 1559 control unit so pulled it out of the boat. £40.00 Can bring anything wanted to the Spring Meet at Salhouse on the 18/19th May (I’ll be there on the Saturday) if this helps, or could meet up at Beccles when I'm in the area. DM me if you have any questions. Donation will be made to the NBN following any sales. Thanks for looking …….
  23. And also the day of Shakespeare's death, possibly that of his birth, as he was baptised on the 26th.
  24. Richardsons in Stalham have a laundry, toilets, showers and an onsite café.
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.