• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The shower I have on A Frayed Know it an old Mira 88, that were quite popular back in the day on these Brooms and Sheerlines too I think. However, it was not working very well, with the temperature and flow knobs being very stiff. On reading up on this, the consensus was to replace all the seals etc, so I bought a service kit and new white knobs, and stripped it down thinking it would be an easy job ... but Oh No ! Having taken the internals home to clean up before fitting the new seals etc, after cleaning up the brass outer housing ("cover assembly") I noticed a massive crack in it, so when it was all reassembled it just spouted water everywhere. And of course, there are no isolating valves fitted, so I had to turn all the water off. Having spoken to the workshop at Jones, they said to repair the crack (by silver soldering) would not be worth it and probably wouldn't last long, and the replacement part is not cheap. So for now, they have capped off the hot and cold feed so at least I can have the water back on again for now. I could try and replace the shower with a whole new unit, but that will be fiddly and costly and I would probably have to get the workshop to do it, as plumbing is not a strong point of mine. As I already bought the service kit and knobs, I want to try and keep this one going if I can. So my question is ... does anyone have an old Mira 88 unit they are no longer using, that I could have the cover assembly from ?
  3. They have given me a mooring at the end of the sales pontoon, until a 'better' one is available I was up last Sunday again, doing a few bits, and did go out on the river just up to St. Ives bridge and back a few times, to make sure everything was OK. At the time, the lock was still closed with a red 'X', but not reversed, and the river flow was quite slow. I now own a windlass, so in theory if the lock was working I could go through - if I was feeling brave enough ! Our plan is to be up on Sunday too, and spend the night aboard returning home on Monday. Hopefully that will include getting out on the river one way or another.
  4. Pop in and see our own Maurice Minor too 🀣🀣🀣
  5. Today
  6. They do know they are NOT in use - they have been studying them for some time with cameras and bat detection equipment and have found no evidence that they are being used as intended.
  7. I would imagine its the same person who has earnt millions being one of the stars of Towie. Imagine having an IQ low enough to earn all that money Just saying!
  8. That would depend on what state of the current paint surface. I would at the very least scotch pad the area to key it up.
  9. Just a gentle reminder and I am so not telling you off but not all people from Essex are ditzy, dumb blondes Look at me.......I'm ditzy and blonde and I come from East Sussex Grace x
  10. Well it is on a BMW.
  11. That was purely an explanation I'd heard from whichever bunch it was (I can't remember) explaining the ones on the a11 upgrade, they cost a fortune and no one knows if they are any use. I think it was a section on Jeremy vine's show back then.
  12. Exactly! In my opinion, the fact that water company bosses are trousering huge bonuses for running largely profitable businesses, whilst dumping vast quantities of untreated sewage in our rivers, is utterly unacceptable.
  13. That stretch of river is quite popular for wild swimming, I think because the water is usually clear they believe it's clean!
  14. From the EDP - just gross! https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24215267.norfolk-broads-village-named-countys-sewage-hotspot/
  15. I can pop round tomorrow and lend a hand, have a variety of scrubbing brushes and chemicals - some could even be used to clean a boat! Plus I need pump outs and diesel so will be there anyway.
  16. If I had been there in Norfolk you could have had another Cleaner and helper. But! Alas, not for another three weeks yet.
  17. Also to Brother and crew for helping. Er, they ain't ! They are sailing independently early Friday forenoon for a social weekend afloat independent of us onboard Dungraftin (Otherwise knows as 'Sodding Off!) Griff
  18. Griff Sir. I'll take my hat off to you. Always a man of his word. Thank you for what you are doing for Clive, one of life's true gentlemen. Also to Brother and crew for helping. You may be a Yorshireman with deep pockets but you have very big heart.
  19. So just to be clear, I can just clean up the old non-slip bits with degreasing agent and apply new paint without grinding or sanding or anything like that?
  20. It took us quite a few trips before we really got to know the boat. Doesn't it just Twenty two years, joint ownership of 'B.A' and we are all still learning / maintaining and hopefully improving her Griff Twenty two years? - Wow, how did that happen? She is 'Only' fifty eight years old
  21. I think that the family are going to receive the best introduction possible to boating.... Many happy hours afloat to them πŸ‘ Nice one Griff 🍺
  22. In all seriousness, I understand that the idea is that bats tend to follow the same route along the sides of woodland or hedges when out hunting at night. I know that they actually hunt in a regular course pattern, going round in small circles. The bat crossings are supposed to give them a trail to follow, where the road building has taken away the original course of the woodland. This therefore keeps them at a safe height above the road. As what little is left of their woodland habitat will soon become several square miles of housing estate I think the whole idea is spurious.
  23. There will be no evidence either way as bats hit by high vehicles will be tucked between trailer and cab and taken away from the site. Really? So every Bat that collides with a vehicle will be stuck in between cab and trailer? There's me now educated that Bats hit only articulated lorries then and further to that they only hit between the cab and trailer unit? In the words of Victor Meldrew - 'I don't believe it' or John McEnroe - 'You cannot be serious' I have yet to see any evidence of dead bats anywhere along the NDR let alone adjacent to the modern art that is referred to as Bat crossings. Besides which, the sonar arrangement that bats employ is right up there, better than anything mere mortals have produced. Bats use their sonar at night to catch insects on the wing - Yet can't avoid an articulated lorry? Griff
  24. What a decent sort you are Griff. I hope it goes well, with your instruction, I can't see it going any other way I hope they have a fantastic week afloat Grace x
  25. I don't think bats are supposed to use the crossings as such I think the idea is the detect the structure and go up above lorry trailer height. There will be no evidence either way as bats hit by high vehicles will be tucked between trailer and cab and taken away from the site.
  26. It just feels different when you have so much time on the boat. Also, the longer you are in a syndicate the more β€˜ownership’ you feel. Well, maybe I’m generalising there, but that’s how Graham and I feel. I recall on our first few trips how unsure we were of everything. It took us quite a few trips before we really got to know the boat.
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.