• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Actually just as easy to do on a boat, I have done these and have them with a salad the next day, have always found that my boat oven will reach a good temperature similar to the one at home, as I follow slimming world I tend to use low-fat sausages I have made the Scotch eggs with chicken Italia sausages skins removed flattened out into a circle and then wrapped round a semi-hard-boiled egg dipped in beaten egg and then breadcrumbs get it right so the yoke isn't too hard and they are delicious as for breadcrumbs tend to buy them in the packet far easier on a boat
  3. Well here we are moored at Sutton Staithe for our last night in Norfolk. An incident ocurred here today which gave me pause for thought. A large cruiser pulled up about 10 metres in front of ours. One of those with a very high built up stern with external steps leading to the upper helm and a bottom step or narrow bathing platform about 30cm above the water. One of the group, a well built chap, had just fastened the stern rope and stepped back onto the boat. I was having one of my last dangles (channelling Brando perhaps) when in my peripheral vision i saw him go backwards into the Broad with the most enormous splash. I was momentarily stunned (and thinking there goes the fishing) when he popped back up spitting copious quantities of Ant. Fortunately the boat was fitted with tranverse fenders across the rear and he was able to grab those. Then his mates came and dragged him out. All he lost were his sunglasses and dignity. Now erindoors has been assiduous in her wearing of her lifejacket whilst mooring. As for myself? Not once. Barmpot is the term I think. We have been valeting the boat prior to taking her back ( cleaner than when we picked her up) and i am thinking i do not want to give her back. She is not perfect. I would like an anchor winch, rear vision cameras, and a couple of USB ports at the helm, but she is without question the best we have hired. There is no way i could check her in as excess baggage, even long-haul the allowance is not that great, but if someone in the forum could quietly suggest how I might get her to the Humber estuary and still get my flight to Hong Kong on Sunday morning, there would be a large drink in it. Nuff said. OK? Cheers Chris
  4. It’s a very enjoyable ramble, more please.
  5. They look absolutely gorgeous don't they? I love cooking too unfortunately cooking doesn't love me. I can burn salad Well done Mrs H, they look scrummy Grace
  6. Omg they look a delight, I love cooking and baking on a dank wet winter Sunday if I get the time, having two very needy horses makes me too tired to bother a lot of the time
  7. Today
  8. Thank you both, I'm meant to be working although I haven't had to walk Lottie today as Mandy is at home, but it took me 4hrs to put those two together! Probably do another tomorrow
  9. Hmm so for £12 you get a bin and have to pay for your own water - I'm underwhelmed. I can't be the only one who prefers to shower on the boat rather than use public ones so showers included doesn't help me much. Having said all that, although Ranworth Island is lovely it's £10 for nowt but a small patch of grass. That makes WRC seem a bargain.
  10. Not a ramble at all, I'm enjoying so far.
  11. Wonderful tale , awaiting eagerly the next instalment
  12. I also made some fresh strawberry tarts this afternoon. They are just awaiting the cream to be piped on top.
  13. Keep up the good work, very interesting to see your video and uncovering lots of nasties! I think that the deck covering you mentioned was made by Dunlop and called 'Trakmark' and was available in different colours.
  14. Dont really think that you would do this on a boat but you could make at home and they make a change from the normal run of the mill tasteless versions you buy. Pre: 15 min serves 4 1lb of pork sausages or whatever you like 4 hard boiled eggs - about 6 mins each egg. Bag of Panko Crumbs 1 egg beaten Some plain flour. Skin the sausages and make into 4 equal patties. Roll each hard boiled egg in flour to coat, place on sausage patty and shape sausage around egg. Dip each into beaten egg and then coat well with the crumbs. Bake in over 35 mins or until sausage meat is thoroughly cooked. No need for oil and all that frying. They tastes scrummy.
  15. Fantastic news, perfect size for solo cruising !
  16. Friday 5th July Mandy was reasonably pleased that with my planned depart time of 9am, the previous Friday we left at 6am to get to Cumbria, so on this trip there was no need to wrap herself up in a throw as she did the previous week. The car was loaded to bursting, and Lottie was quick to take her place on the back seat to ensure we didnt leave without her. (She is secured by the seat belt to her harness) The journey was pretty uneventful and we made excellent time until the single carriageway A143 held us up with HGV's and the odd tractor We still made it to Loddon by 11.30am, I had arranged with Fiona to pick the boat up a little earlier at 1.00pm, so obviously we were way too early. So a plan came to mind (actually this was always my intention but dont tell Mandy) 'We're too early darling' I said 'What do you want to do' she replied 'Well, Lottie needs a walk and we've never been to the White Horse', we could have some lunch there?' I like it when a plan comes together, although after 33 years of marriage I think she knew I planned this! Well, what a great pub the White Horse is, why haven't we used it before? Superb garden, very friendly landlady but the Landlord is a very bad man and cruelly exposed a weakness I have! I ordered a pint of Wherry or Southwold and a J2O for Mandy and got a bowl of water for Lottie, I went back to the bar and ordered a couple of baguettes. About 15 mins later the landlord bought our food to the table, looking at my glass he said 'you need another pint' it wasn't a question, what a mind reader, and he insisted on bringing it to the table! Later he came back to collect our plates 'Was everything ok with your food?' 'Would you like more drink?' I could have said no, but found myself saying 'yes please' Bad bad man! It was now about 1.10pm, and I was now sitting in the passenger seat, Mandy drove the last mile! Well I did do the previous 149! A couple of mins later we were parked on the lawn at Pacific Cruisers. Now, I cant heap enough praise on Richard Fiona and their team, I know they are a business (a business that I hope does very well) but they make you fell you are friends and are just borrowing a boat! Everything is handled so informally and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. This is our third consecutive hire with them and third on Dawn. I really cant imagine using anyone else! Mandy and Fiona 'fitted' Lottie with her life jacket, I was just the labourer and emptied the car Soon everything was loaded, Mandy managed to drop my fleece in the drink, (and I was the one that had alcohol) mind you it would soon be dry, not that I would! As envisaged, my experience with the Wrynose pass made the Chet a doddle, taking it slowly after about an hour we were soon cruising down The Yare My favourite pub on the broads is the Surlingham Ferry, I love the beer, the food the garden and Sonia and all her staff are really lovely, I'd booked a mooring so we didn't need to hurry to get there As I already said I hadn't used the White Horse at Chedgrave before, two other pubs we hadn't used was the Beauchamp and Coldham Hall. I wanted to correct this, as we approached The Beauchamp, it looked quiet, there were plenty of moorings, but no one was sitting outside, which I thought odd as it was a lovely sunny day, I quickly 'googled it' - it didn't open until 5pm, and as it was only about 2.30pm, ruled it out I know the owner feels that not getting planning permission on his caravan park is going to 'kill' his pub, but not opening until 5 on a Friday is hardly going to help, is it? So Coldham Hall it was then, and I was really pleased the Beauchamp was closed, Approaching Coldham Hall there was a mooring at the front, but .......... I know this shouldn't make any difference but there was a private boat moored just behind us as we came in, that first mooring of the year suddenly came with extra pressure. No need to worry, straight in no problems..... I'm back! A couple of 'mature gents' got up and took our ropes, which I thanked them, but we had it all under control. We had a chat with them once we got our drinks, they confessed to having been in the pub a fair time, and good luck to them! A couple of pints of Ghost Ship for me, Pimms and a tea for Mandy, Lottie had to stick to water, well someone has to be sober to stern moor at The Ferry House We decided to 'cut the corner' at Brundall and entered Bargate Broad, it was so peaceful we decided to mud weight for 30mins. I like the idea of mud weighting overnight but it's not possible with Lottie We arrived at The Ferry House about 5.30pm and saw the board reserving our mooring for the night. Second mooring of the hols and although Lottie was prepared to moor for me, I decided she should keep to her job of watching the ducks! Another good mooring, and again plenty of help with the ropes, although I'm not sure with the advice passed back to me from Mandy from someone on the bank to shut the engine off despite still being 6ft from the bank! We had a nice chat with a private boater to our side about dogs, Lottie is a rescue, and although we've had her for a while, she was mistreated and get easily spooked and can be unfriendly to strangers, once she know you she loves you to bits! I take her to work with me, she now loves everyone in my office, especially the girls in accounts who bring chicken in to feed her! Sorry cant remember your name or the boat you were on, I only remember we were both the same age a very young 62! We decided to have a couple of drinks, Mandy soft, me Humpty Dumpty (I think) Lottie just water We returned to the boat to freshen up, then back to the pub for dinner I cant remember what we had, but I'm sure it was good, Mandy had two glasses of wine, me a couple of beers and Lottie was still suck on the water Now this is where I had a little mishap, now I accept I had consumed a few beers, but it was over a long period and I had two meals, I was feeling good, and I'm used to drinking regularly I took Lottie for a fairly long walk, about 45 mins Although I've worked in and around London for 40 years I am a country boy at heart my dad was a farmer and I'm comfortable in the countryside and do a lot of walking with Lottie and dogs before her I've noticed recently more and more gates on footpaths are now 'self closing' obviously a necessity in these days because some people cant be bothered to close a gate behind them Well a set of circumstances that night lead to what could have been worse, as I approached the last gate before the pub I put Lottie on her extending lead, I opened the gate which has a concrete step on the pub side. Lottie got spooked by another dog barking, pulled on her lead, this made me loose my footing as I stumbled forward the gate closed and trapped my ankle between the bottom of the gate and the concrete step This wasn't just an ouch moment, my ankle was stuck and I couldn't reach the clasp on the gate, and guess what? I hadn't taken my phone with me, I always have my phone, I'm always berating Mandy for not taking a phone! So there I was stuck and doing my best not to embarrass myself my having to call 'help' so I sat there for a couple of mins, when for some reason I let go of Lottie's lead, the lead recoiled that spooked her and she ran off! I still dont know how I freed myself, you hear stories where under pressure people use natural adrenalin to preform great strengths, that may have been my moment, as the dog ran off I managed to reach up and open the gate, something I obviously tried to do several times with no success Lottie had come straight back to me at this point so we both got back to the boat unharmed, a few cuts and bruises for me! Mandy told me I was a silly old fool and that it was all my fault, and I couldn't argue Sorry for the ramble, later days were less eventful! To be continued
  17. Martham Boats have reinstated Jocelyn in their hire fleet. I'm sure it must be many years since it was last on hire. The interior photos look good. https://www.marthamboats.com/hire/motor-cruisers/65-jocelyn-iii
  18. Right , I have now completed a set of questions for the quiz tomorrow, topics are Childrens literature Different Types Lunacy Science Nursery Rhymes and General Mayhem
  19. I don't want or need Rangers to wave frantically at or to me. However, I usually give a nod towards them if they seem to be looking my way. If they feel the need to speak to me about something this would give them the opening they need, rather than passing by, turning round and perhaps using blue lights. (This hasn't been needed yet-but they may be times when they feel the need to remind me of something!) If the Ranger acknowledges my nod, then I may be more inclined to share something less important than I may do otherwise. It's about body language, there are times when Rangers need us, and maybe the above would apply also to them. We all share the rivers, I am not a constant waver, but we return the wave if sometimes waves to me, and usually wave to younger children, I don't think such gestures on the rivers would be misinterpreted.
  20. Many thanks for the warm welcome, we are up from deepest Hertfordshire for a week in the caravan tomorrow so although we will not be water based , The Wherry at Oulton Broad may well be utilised from time to time ! As for the Seagull outboard, I may well have a couple of spark plugs and prop springs hiding in the garage still !!
  21. Ah wrynose and hardknott passes lovely roads especially in a 18ton recovery truck rescuing all that get stuck up there with burnt out clutches and overheating brakes [emoji3][emoji3] Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  22. Whilst it would seem a fantastic idea to have people wandering around just chatting to boaters who want to be talked to , my hope is that that does not come out of my contribution to the Nav budget!!! For what its worth, and clearly most don't agree, I would prefer to see them out on the river - and no, they don't need to wave to me, just as I don't feel the need to wave to every other boater that waves to me! I would think it is almost impossible for the Ranger who does Wroxham/Horning to wave at every boat - his arm would fall off!!
  23. SPEEDTRIPLE

Hmmm....

That's exactly right. On several occasions we've had to up the revs going through GT Yarmouth, purely to maintain steerageway. Reedham is another place where you can get caught out if you don't maintain enough revs. The ideal theme is as you say, a modicum of common sense an common courtesy goes a long way. But as we all know, the problem with common sense is it's none too common.
  24. Absolutely spot on. Not too long ago, the quay rangers were very chatty, alert to problems, and generally very helpful and approachable. In fact, I seem to have it in mind that we even made one a cuppa at Reedham, but that must have been around 6 years back. Also, I can remember when they would give a wave of thanks if you kept your speed down. As I said in an earlier post, the ones we came across this year were rather off hand, not blatantly rude, but definitely off hand. It gets the BA a bad name when their staff don,t know how to positively interact with the very public they look out for.
  25. The lead up Having enjoyed reading everyone's tales of the holidays on the broads, I thought it was time I wrote one myself. The crew were myself, my wife Mandy and little Lottie the dog This was the second part of our adventures this summer, we'd been in the Lake District the previous week staying in a pub (where else) just north of Windermere Now, I only mention this because we hire from Pacific Cruisers, and as a 'one week a year boater' I've always thought that starting off on a boat in Loddon isn't the easiest starting point for someone who might be a bit 'rusty' Whilst in Cumbria we decided to do the Eskdale Steam Railway, a lovely little trip through beautiful scenery,. However to get there we had to drive the Wrnose and Hardknott passes OMG, I love my car for driving the 80 mile round trip to work and back, but my choice in life of a rear wheel drive automatic was being severely questioned, by me! We made it, and as I couldn't find a much better route back, we did it again, so my initial concern of navigating The Chet from cold held no fears I later found out walking down a footpath was far more dangerous! Below is a picture of Lottie waiting for the train to leave and the only 'selfie' I've ever taken or likely to take to show the crew! To be continued shortly!
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.