• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Welcome to the forum Monday. It is always interesting to get views and memories on the hire fleets, old and new.
  3. Not easily or accurately. Anyone with 1k+ subscribers may be. Socialblade.com will give an indication of what a channel might be earning. I suspect most people hitting 1k probably opt into Google's ad programs, but most probably earn little or nothing. Really, there ought to be far more transparency and I think Google ought to only be paying money to Youtube channels who make their owners identities clearly known and state that they're monetized. Unfortunately though, Google's finances are so vast that when the EU fine them €2.4bn for anti-trust breaches, they just laugh about it, make changes, but then revert back to their original position after a while. They just don't care about these things and no-one really has the power to force them to do anything.
  4. Would she have shown incidents if any occurred though? I think we all know the answer. I can appreciate the point you're making, but there's so much more to the Broads than just that one bridge. It's been done to death, so I think it's time to just leave it. There are lots of aspects of the area which haven't ever been covered - and the one dimensional videos do the area a disservice. I've said it before, but I'm not going to suggest topics, as it's conceivable I might have a go at uploading some stuff in future - but, as an example, why not go and have a chat with someone at one of the sailing clubs and feature some sailing. Better still, provide some info on youth sailing and how kids can get into the sport. Or take a look at what Alice Loxton does - she now has 2 million social followers just from talking about history.
  5. I can confirm that I have found Daniel to be very good and reliable whenever we have used him both on Pipedreams and Cerise Lady
  6. I've lost quite a few hours watching mowing videos. There's also a British lad with 250k subs who does similar pressure washing. He did a small job for an old lady who's 96 years old and had been issued with notices by the local council. He's since been back to clear the entire garden, trim trees, repair fences, etc, all for free.
  7. I know Daniel Austrin's work from other boat owners and they speak very highly of him Griff
  8. Today
  9. Urgh, sounds like you're having a bad time of things! Only mobile person I know in Norfolk is Daniel Austrin (07881 631694). I can't vouch for his work, but he used to work for Peachments and has done an engine swap on the Southern Comfort, so would appear to be up to the task. I think @CambridgeCabby used him the other day, so may be able to give an opinion.
  10. I follow one channel, a youngish lad, he has a monetised channel and over 1 million subscribers. for his channel he clears and mows one property a week for free, lately he has been clearing abandoned properties to clear the footpaths and make the house acceptable for the neighbours. surely if he can build a popular channel, just by mowing rather unkempt lawns, others must also be able to do it without resorting to the misfortunes of others - I think he does get sponsored by some of the garden equipment companies, but he achieves it all without demeaning others. (he also works ver hard clearing the properties for his money.
  11. Another aspect and I don't know if this has happened or is common, is that a helm becoming aware of being filmed may be distracted enough to make the mistake the filmer is hoping to capture. Many of us will have experienced messing something up because we are under scrutiny whether afloat or in any other area of life (my first driving test haunts me still after 50 years lol) Basically it's intrusive and un-nerving and more so for those making their first attempt at a new skill.
  12. I remember eagerly awaiting “London Rascals” next adventure in the days when he used to hire , his videos were always informative, amusing (especially his hot dog tin episode) and entertaining , his videos as a boat owner and his car adventures followed in a similar vein ; many of the new regular YouTubers could learn a lot from watching his back catalogue .
  13. I must put in a word about the ‘New Name, Same Me’ lady. She started out videoing rather sensational videos at Ludham Bridge, which turned me off. However, I notice her more recent videos are a lot more varied, many exploring other areas of the Broads. Last weekend’s video did feature some boats having difficulty at Ludham Bridge with the wind, but no ‘incidents’, and sympathetic commentary which just served to remind people that the tide and wind combined can make things difficult. Actually, I found it quite instructive to watch. I also liked that she said that nasty comments would be deleted.
  14. Thanks for your kind comments. All I know is that to monetise your channel you have to reach certain criteria such as a minimum number of subscribers and minimum watch time. You can become a partner and then get money via memberships, super thanks etc. I have no interest in any of that. My videos are just a hobby and mostly made for my own amusement and as a nice record of my own holidays and trips out. And out of principle I would never include other people’s mishaps or difficulties.
  15. Is there an easy way to see if a YouTube thing is monetised. It seems to me, and I am no expert, that those who aim to make money out of a video approach it differently than say SwanR (Jean). I enjoy the gentle nature of Jean's and others output where as I hate hearing the biased spouting of some egotistical snot who thinks I value his opinion and usually has an axe to grind. What I do enjoy, and always read, are our own members holiday write and memories.
  16. No, unfortunately. Jonathan is a boatbuilder not an engineer. If it came to it I would have to get it put back in and drive it to Peachments or someone else if there is anyone. However the same engineer who's let me down over the shaft has also done so over investigating a leak from the domestic gas system which is currently preventing me from getting a new BSS certificate and therefore from renewing my toll.
  17. Trouble is that there is far to much money to be made from all forms of social media for bloggers of any stature, how accurate or informative or damaging the content is is irrelevant, there are more than enough people prepared to believe anything without question and follow their particular favourites. Fred
  18. My first post on here but been following this forum for a long time. As a recent (and very early) hirer of Fleetline, I couldn't let this post and C.Ricko's follow up pass without commenting on what a fantastic boat this is. Yes, it is a head turner; because of the shape?/the colour scheme?/ or its ability to slide casually sideways into a tight mooring spot on its bow and stern thrusters?. I write as someone who first hired on the Broads in the 1960's (Dawncraft of Wroxham, wooden boat, pre-single lever control, no hot water/showers) and irregularly ever since, seeing every development from fibreglass hulls, through electric fridges to bow thrusters. First time with a stern thruster though and the difference it makes to control is invaluable to potentially incompetent helmsmen like me. The other innovation much appreciated was the electric windscreen which in combination with the power roof could make us ready for bridges in 30 seconds flat with no slipping around on the cabin roof - although we could only get through Ludham..... Lots of other tech (rear view camera, boat heating that worked.....) and perfect accommodation layout for our 3 generation family. Well done.
  19. With the public thirst for videos of others mishaps I can only see the current trend worsening , what is in-fact a relatively rare occurrence is being seen as commonplace and will certainly lead to some families considering a Broads holiday afloat to look elsewhere . If the two main protagonists happen to read the forum I would invite them to perhaps instead of spending a day awaiting such occurrences at Ludham bridge , spend a day filming those families moored up somewhere like Salhouse Broad , or Ranworth where the loudest sound is often children’s laughter .
  20. All I can suggest is to join them. Sadly, social media is now a part of society's life. I hope that I have only added a positive and realistic view of hiring on the Broads with my past content. Whilst we can all very much choose to stay away from social media (whilst acknowledging that we use this forum which is... a social medium...), we cannot ignore it's existence. At school, I advocate sever caution to my students when accessing social media but I know that it will fall partly on deaf ears (certainly as I get older!). So, as I said at the start, those of use who can should share the positive experiences we have!
  21. I suspect I know who you mean. Also goes wherever he likes, including filming a video fishing from private land in someone's back garden. Has also fallen out with two boatyards, a pub landlord and homeowners in Wroxham - all of whom he criticizes, completely failing to comprehend his intrusion. To be fair though, he does at least show his face and makes no secret of his identity. What I do notice is that two of the worst Ludham Bridge offenders have never shown their faces and use pseudonyms. Obviously, anyone can film another person in public. I'd really like to see how they'd react when caught on video and uploaded to Youtube.
  22. A R Peachments are the first people I'd speak to when it comes to replacement drivetrain parts. I was going to suggest speaking to NYA Service Centre - not because I'd especially recommend them, more because they're right next door to Peachments, so it's easy to remove a part and take in for ID - but if the boat's out of the water at Loddon, you obviously don't want to have to incur another lift in and out. Can Greenway Marine help?
  23. Thread drift alert! Leicester Peregrines. http://leicesterperegrines.org.uk/streaming/
  24. What shall we do today? Check weather - OK. Let's go and see Catherine of Arogan. She won't be good company but it'll be nice to see Peterborough Cathedral and it's excuse to go by train. Fail. The Stanstead train broke down so we gave up and walked back into Leicester for a coffee. We're not devoutly religious but we are interested in our own history. They've recently finished an expensive refurbishment of Leicester's own cathedral so we decided to nip along and see Richard lll, the well known rhyming slang. Very interesting. I never knew we had our very own Peregrines: http://leicesterperegrines.org.uk/streaming/ I'll repeat that on the Peregrines thread.
  25. yes or facebook posts of boats stuck under bridges where the helmsman and crew are ridiculed, these are as bad, for the person involved its bad enough that it even happened, to then have it spread across social media must be awful, I can see a first time hirer never wanting to hire again after something like that.
  26. There are some awful youtubers on the broads, claiming big crashes when it's nothing more than someone coming in a bit heavy to moor in strong winds, one of them is one of the worst anglers I have seen on the broads giving 'advice', terrible fish handling skills. Most of them would rather film a boat sinking than help, I'm not a great fan.
  27. I agree, the polished area clearly shows the amount of movement. The work was done by Jones' at St. Ives and I'm pretty sure they investigated possible alternatives. I haven't spoken to anyone in the Broads area.
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.