• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I see that the Brighton one is under offer. Load of dosh!
  3. There we go sir https://www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk/stays-and-boat-hire/boat-hire/holiday-cruisers/
  4. Unsurprisingly Ranworth was full so bit the bullet , paid £10 !!!!! And we’re moored at Salhouse Broad for the evening
  5. Today
  6. Shame I can`t simply click on that link and be redirected.
  7. Had to do a screen shot as kept getting message -200. Is this because I rec'd it from my son who is on his way to Norfolk from Australia and he sent it via Whatsapp? Nice stopover if you are travelling from Aus to UK, 5 days sailing, island hopping.
  8. Moon and charter boat last night , Kea Island, Greece.
  9. This post makes me laugh, not sure it was intended but great wording C4I Great pictures FTM
  10. Tuesday 16th April Today was the day the sun really arrived, and we sat enjoying the morning at Wayford Bridge all alone as the Bridgecraft boats that had joined us the night before had all left early on that morning. Once we finally set off, it was back across Barton Broad and the return along the River Ant. Once we had passed a much busier Ludham Bridge, I rejoined The Bure and travelled to Horning where we stopped outside The Ferry Inn and had a drink in the sunshine before walking down to the village and sitting outside The New Inn with a drink and a light dinner. Feeling the sun burning our skin we returned back along the road and to the boat, setting off for further up the River Bure to Wroxham. As it had just passed 1700 when we arrived I once again moored up on the Bridge Pilot mooring for the night and we headed into town for drinks and more games, before a chippy tea onboard and bed. The warmer weather had all got too much and took it's toll for the mini beast...
  11. Monday 15th April It started off as a cloudy morning on Monday but the forecast assured us that the day, and indeed the week, would brighten and warm up from here on in (and it did). I am not sure if I had been singing out loud as I walked the dog along the bank but it wasn't long before what were full moorings had become empty, leaving us all alone as I enjoyed my morning coffee. By 1000 we were underway once more and it was a quick nip along the river Bure before turning onto the Ant and through Ludham Bridge as it showed around 8'3". The moorings were very quiet, and if I hadn't only just set off I would have been tempted to stop but as it was, onwards we progressed. The beautiful river Ant wasn't looking at it's radiant best with the skies being overcast, when the sun is out and shining it is one of the Broads best rivers in my opinion. Reaching Barton Broad I crossed over and took the turning to Stalham so we could have a stop in Richardsons yard whilst we stocked up on supplies from Tesco, I also managed to get a quick couple of drinks in The Grebe too before we set off (the bar in the Swan being closed for a private function). Once we had returned to the boat and refilled with water I returned along the river from Stalham and took a right turn heading to Wayford Bridge and possibly onwards to Dilham. Reaching the bridge I found the moorings deserted, and so instead of continuing to Dilham I turned the boat around in the strengthing sunshine and onto the moorings for the night. It was now time to head off to the Wayford Bridge Inn before returning to sit onboard and enjoy another tea cooked up by the youngest.
  12. Sunday 14th April Waking up to a lovely sunny morning, I took the dog out for her walk before returning for toast and coffee on the boat with the roof drawn back, allowing the sunshine inside whilst we relaxed. With Yarmouth crossing time at around dinnertime there was no need to rush off, and so after another coffee, I gave the dog one more chance to stretch her legs before undoing the lines and heading up the River Waveney, with the assistance of the outgoing tide. It was quiet this morning with no boats passing me by until I reached the start of Breydon water. Once there, a constant stream of hire boats heading south began to pass by, I remember counting around 20 boats passing one after the other, but in truth there was probably lots more than that. I was the solitary North heading boat as I made my journey. With sunny intervals between broken cloud, we continued through Yarmouth and up the Bure, a cooling breeze was blowing but the early signs of a brightening week were evident already. Reaching Stokesby seemed to take less time than usual as it always does when you have the assistance of good weather, and the moorings were all very busy as I passed by. As ever the Bridge Inn at Acle was it's usual hub of activity and although there were moorings available on the Pedro's side, I had a different destination in mind for the evening. When I had got to the St Bennet's Abbey moorings, I took a turn and travelled down Fleet Dyke and out onto South Walsham broad, I enjoyed the view myself, but the day had gotten too much for everyone else who had all decided an afternoon snooze was needed meaning they all missed the scenery. Spinning around I returned back up the Dyke and took one of the few spaces left on the moorings and tied up the boat at 1630. Everyone came back to life as I stopped the engine, and so we had a walk to The Ship Inn for a few drinks before returning back to the boat for a tea that my youngest had made for us all.
  13. That’s just how I like to see Somerleyton moorings! Bet it’s a bit different this weekend though. Looking forward to more tales Cap’n Jay.
  14. Having looked at a number of Bounty 35/37ft boats recently I can say almost no two boats are the same internally, don't know if this helps you or not lol. And welcome to the forum. Is it the one in Brighton that hasn't moved for 5yrs?
  15. Tuesday 9th April Tuesday morning dawned and I clambered out of bed, hoping to see a beautiful sunrise, lighting the mill in glorious golden sunshine, creating another wonderful photo opportunity. However, I was to be disappointed. It was grey and cloudy with no significant breaks in the cloud to even let the sun peek through. No matter, we were still on holiday and still on the Broads. Deb got up and took the pooch for a walk and I tidied up the boat. It was 9th April and the wife's birthday, so upon her return I cooked a breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs, fresh tomatoes and mushrooms. Very tasty slightly unhealthy, but occasionally, who cares? Breakfast eaten and with the washing up done (always a downside), we got ready and cast off, which is when the stiff breeze became apparent. By now, the sun had made an appearance and the sky was blue. Maybe the day would be similar to Monday – we could only hope. We chugged back up the Thurne and turned left into Womack Dyke, heading for Womack Water and the staithe to moor, so we could walk into Ludham for supplies. There was plenty of space at the staithe and we moored alongside a family on Grande Girl, a boat we have hired on four occasions previously, who were topping up with water. We had a chat and filled our tanks before wandering into the village. First stop was the butchers, then to Throwers, before wandering back to the boat, where we bought a couple of ice creams from the shop by the staithe. We cast off and retraced our way back along Womack Dyke, turning right onto the Thurne and right again onto the Bure, heading for Wroxham. We had bought a new multi-port USB charger for our phones, tablets and the wife's Fitbit, from Amazon before we came away, but it had expired with a pop in a cloud of acrid smoke when we used it for the second time and we urgently needed to get a new charger, so thought Roy's may be the place. By now the breeze had stiffened and it had become quite chilly. Definitely not the day for the roof to be back. The journey was uneventful, but I do believe I saw 'The Admiral' (Russell Thompson) heading in the opposite direction as we went through Horning. We arrived in Wroxham, so I headed for Summercrafts yard and asked Sue if we could moor there for an hour or so, whilst we went to the shops. She agreed, so after she and I had chatted about boats, hire fleets and the coming season, the wife and I headed into the town. We found a couple of USB chargers in Roy's Food Hall of all places, so it was back to the boat and back on our way to our overnight destination at Salhouse Broad. Dinner was to be at The Fur and Feather, where I had booked a table. The broad was quite busy, but we found a spot and moored, not easy with a strong crosswind, then watched several other craft attempt to moor, their skippers struggling with the difficult conditions. No sooner had we stopped than we were pounced on for the mooring fee, but £10 soon changed hands and we settled down for a couple of hours until it was time to walk to the pub. Dinner was enjoyable, but I fear that it has lost out to The Lion in terms of quality and the restaurant extension has robbed the place of its atmosphere. Were returned to Moonlight Shadow for a cheeky gin and tonic before retiring for the night. Not many photos today due to the uninspiring weather but normal service will return tomorrow.
  16. Saturday 13th April As I finished my last night shift at 0800 hours on the 13th April, it was finally time to once again head home to collect the crew and our belongings and by 0845 we were once again on our way to Brundall to take the boat out for another week of enjoyment. A slow car journey finally terminated at Brooms boatyard at around 1130 and after parking the car it was time to once again head off to The Yare pub so the kids could have their dinner (apparantly it is now their tradition to eat here before we set off) and we could all relax with some refreshments whilst we waited for the cleaners and engineers to finish on the boat. Having satisfied appetites it was time to head back around to the boat and relieve the car of it's burden and load up the boat ready for the off. It was around 1415 when I was finally able to release the lines and begin a slow cruise down the river Yare heading for a favourite first night stop at Somerleyton ready to cross Breydon water the next day. Coldham Hall was popular that afternoon But we cruised on, passing a number of boats, one of which was Westminster Bridge. The very first boat I hired and helmed which began my love of the Norfolk Broads years ago. The rivers were fairly quiet, but not the deserted waters that I had enjoyed so much over the winter, along with busier moorings showing the signs of how the week would be ahead. The sky was cloudy, but with frequent breaks to allow the sunshine to warm the air a little as we continued along the river. We reached Somerleyton by late afternoon with plenty of room for us to moor up and get ourselves ready for a visit to the Duke's Head pub. Growing tired of waiting for everyone to get themselves sorted, I had a seat on the bench outside, and watched the world slowly pass by, deep in thought and thinking of previous visits to one of my favourite spots. Finally we were all ready to head off for a drink at the pub, and played a few games of exploding kittens once again, before heading back to the boat for an evening meal onboard, and then lights out ready for tomorrow.
  17. Firstly welcome to the forum, secondly there is a Caribbean Owners Club/F.Wilds Appreciation Society or whatever out there, Google might find it. Otherwise let's hope that someone has the answer that you want.
  18. dnks34

Tolls

Accepting there was a DEFRA grant reduction to make up what deeply bothers me is how much money was wasted on the Jenners Basin fight that many if not most boat owners / hirers would have wanted no part in. What about the other crackpot projects (acle) that occasionally come to light that again some folk want no part in and do not want to see any of BA funds frivolously wasted on. If they have got spare cash for ridiculous projects stop putting up the Tolls i cant think of a word to adequately convey my distaste for it, its just obscene. Each time this happens Toll payers pockets get dipped in to to recover the loses. I certainly want no part in that and until there is accountability I no longer want to be a Toll Payer. Its really not right.
  19. Hello I am just about to buy a caribbean cruiser 39ft. Does anyone have access to the boat plans that I could get a copy of? A scan would be fine, I don't need the originals. Cheers Kevin
  20. Cropped this one down even more f10, 250th 400asa
  21. You got there before me, but also there is something about a persons attitude but I can't remember what it is. Old age creeping on lol
  22. The Post Office Tea Room at Reedham (next to the Lord Nelson) is now open 7 days a week for "Light breakfast" from 9am through the season, they do not have the space to do "Full English" but from an earlier post that's not what everyone is looking for
  23. Turning over your silver coins in your pocket under the new moon is said to ensure your pockets won't be empty for the coming month. Also your not meant to view a new moon through glass until you've seen it outside, bad luck apparently.
  24. JennyMorgan

Tolls

In principle and in its basic form the tolls have evolved over time and the system that we have is probably about right. Where it slips up is in the politics, it is seemingly an unaccountable tax which is without adequate representation. That JP was able to considerably up the toll to compensate for a reduction in the DEFRA grant just about encapsulates the whole downside of the present system. Beyond that we should get what we pay for and get what we expect. Grubby fingers should stay outside of the tolls honeypot.
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.