• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. batrabill

Tolls

I would hugely support voted representation on the Nav Committee by toll payers. Doubt if that would be popular with the CEO But any vote by “those that live here” immediately disenfranchises toll payers who don’t live here. Good for you and me Mrs Morgan but bad for boat owners who don’t live in the parish. As is said above, ALL mass taxation is ‘unfair’ to lots of people. If you obsess about the minutiae of it you go bonkers. 😜 I pay under £400 for three boats and I think that’s bloody good value. If you have a 40 footer with a Diesel engine you have to expect under the present ‘unfair’ system it’s gonna cost you. Enjoy the sunshine
  3. Wednesday 17th April Another great Norfolk morning had broken when I took the dog for a short stroll. Having stayed on the Pilot mooring I needed to be underway at around 0800 so as to ensure that I wasn't an inconvenience to him or any hirers who wanted to make use of the service. Dog exercised and a fresh mug of coffee brewed, I untied the lines and set off back down the Bure as everyone else had a lie in under their quilts. The morning was beautiful as I cruised slowly out of the village, no other boats disturbing the quiet solitude I was able to enjoy. A few friendly waves and greetings were exchanged when I reached Salhouse Spit, as the hirers moored there sat with a morning brew enjoying the sun. As expected, the river began to grow more busy as I reached Horning, the moorings still all full however, as I contined on towards the river Thurne. By around 1130 I was all moored up and heading into Potter Heigham. The kids other "tradition" it seems is getting a purchase from the bakery in Lathams after having a look at all the stuff they didn't know they needed until they saw it. I kept well out of the way, and sat with the dog as I enjoyed a beer in the sunshine outside the Norada. All purchases complete, we returned to the boat and set off at around 1315 to head back to Yarmouth and a return down south. As I hit Breydon Water a mist appeared almost from nowhere, all clear as I navigated the Yarmouth bridges and then descending swiftly as I travelled further South and so navigation lights were switched on. I had the company over Breydon of 2 other boats, both of which took the Yare after Breydon, as I instead continued onwards and down the Waveney, passing under both St Olaves and Somerleyton bridges with ease. Finally turning onto Oulton Dyke, having to be careful as a number of rowers were around, and the thickening mist didn't allow for good visibilty of their position. As I began to cross over Oulton Broad visibility had reduced to a couple of metres. I made slow but steady progress over the water, finally reaching The Wherry hotel moorings at about 1930. Once the boat was safely secured, it was time for a lad's night out of football and beer with "the boy" in Oulton And then we grabbed some tea on our way back before settling down to sleep for the night.
  4. Hi Simon - thanks for the kind comments regarding the photos. The mooring above Hunsett Mill is a little overgrown, but I dare say as the season progresses, it will soon be trampled or cut back to allow all of the space to be used. The biggest problem was goose poo, of which there was plenty!! I was very careful where I placed my feet as I wandered along the bank with the camera!!
  5. Thursday 11th April The weather on Thursday morning was much the same as it had been the previous morning with no sign of the sun, albeit the breeze didn't seem quite as strong. The wife took Harley for her walk and I tidied again. When they returned, we waited until after 08:00 before starting the engine for hot water and I set about preparing another cooked breakfast. Bacon, sausages, black pudding, fresh tomatoes, scrambled eggs and mushrooms make a very satisfying start to the day. Once eaten, we washed up and I went for a shower and to get ready. We cast off at about 09:30 and Deb went for her shower. We headed back towards Ranworth, but when we arrived, the staithe was full and there were about seven or eight craft waiting for spaces. I wasn't going to waste time there, so we returned to the Bure and moored at St Benets instead. The weather continued to be cold and the wind strengthened again, but we had a wander round the abbey and walked to the cross. The river was busy, with a constant stream of craft passing by and I noticed Evening. Shadow pass, too. I took a few photos before we headed back to the boat. By now it was about 13:00 and lunchtime, but we were both still feeling quite full from breakfast, so elected to pass on lunch. We set off again and had a slow cruise along Fleet Dyke and through South Walsham Outer and Inner Broads. It had been a while since we’d been there and I’d forgotten what a lovely broad it is. How idyllic must it be to own one of the shoreside properties and look across the broad every day. Note to self – best start buying lottery tickets again!! We needed to moor in a position to make the Breydon crossing the following morning. Slack water on Friday was at 10:22, so Stokesby seemed to be as good a place as any so we retraced our route back along Fleet Dyke and turned right, back onto the Bure. We had not topped up with water that morning - I had intended to do that at Ranworth, so stopped off at Acle. The party of scouts must have been there again – we were moored directly alongside the water point, but I had to unwind all of the hose to get the knots out to allow the water to come through again. Doh!! The Broads Boating Company had been busy over since we had been there on Monday as all of the boats that had been out of the water, were back afloat in the basin. With the water topped up, we cast off to make the short journey to Stokesby. Unbelievably, much the same as the previous day, the cloud that had been present all day cleared and the sun came out. It was still cold in the breeze, but the sunshine lifted the mood as it lit the surrounding countryside. As we cruised into the village and much to my surprise, I noticed that the BA moorings at the green were empty, so we moored and set up for the evening, connecting to shore power to boost the batteries. Once again, dinner was delayed as I rushed about taking many photos of the setting sun, which proved every bit as spectacular as the previous evening. We ate on board - pork chops, new potatoes and cauliflower with gravy and the obligatory (for me, at least) apple sauce before watching TV for a while. We went to bed at about 22:00. I was reflecting on the fact that it was to be our last full day on Friday and how quickly the week had passed as I drifted to sleep.
  6. Great photos as always Malcom. I'm pleased to see that mooring spot just up from Hunsett Mill is usable. Sometimes in the past it's been very overgrown on the bank there.
  7. That happened to me there last year. It was only after we'd moored further along I spotted the sign with our boat name on was facing away from the river.
  8. Today
  9. South Coast marina price? Lots of not very brilliant DIY tongue and groove timber work too, I reckon that she's grossly overpriced by Broads standards.
  10. JennyMorgan

Tolls

Computers do have their uses! My fishing licence used to run from April to April, it now runs from the anniversary of the previous purchase. If the EA can do it then so can the BA. I agree that the basic format is about right but there is nothing to stop the current system evolving with a little bit of help from techknowledgey.
  11. JennyMorgan

Tolls

A situation not helped when just one person takes it on herself to set and drive policy, rather as a well known Broads based CEO does. Neither situation is desirable nor, would it seem, tenable either.
  12. JennyMorgan

Tolls

John, MM, I don't think that there can ever be fully inclusive elections at the Authority but there can be elections, even it is only for toll payer representation since over half their income comes from us. At the moment JP appears intent in removing County Council & Parish Council representation so even that voice is under threat. Anyway, representation for those of us who live here is also perfectly feasible and since planning is a function of the Authority then that is surely desirable. I know that I am far from being alone in these thoughts so we shall just have to wait and see. JP brought this one down on himself when he attempted to disband the Navigation Committee, a situation compounded when he actively encouraged the Broads Forum to become moribund. I personally see elections at the Authority as being a probability rather than just a possibility, in large part thanks to JP, 'tis he who created the need.
  13. Poppy

Tolls

Without wishing to delve into politics, that is untrue of the current Government !
  14. View from the boat,the mist just cleared
  15. Wednesday 10th April We woke on Wednesday to a grey, cold windy day. The breeze had not abated overnight and coupled with the chilly temperature, it wasn't a pleasant morning. Deb took Harley for her walk and I tidied the boat, making the bed and straightening the blankets we use to cover the seating. When she returned, we breakfasted on toasted crumpets, thickly buttered. Just after 08:00, we started the engine for hot water (no shore power for the immersion heater at Salhouse) and cast off around 08:30, heading for Ranworth. Deb took the helm whilst I showered and dressed and took over when I’d finished so she could do the same. There were a few spaces available when we arrived, so we slotted in alongside another syndicated cruiser, Blue Mist. We had intended to walk to the church, but wanted to top up with water first, so moved to another mooring nearer a hose after discovering that the hose wouldn't reach. We had just finished topping up when a large craft from Richardsons eventually moored alongside. To be fair, they had manoeuvred with consideration and had made much effort not to hit the side of MS, but the operation had taken a good 15 minutes and it was clear the strong wind was seriously hampering their efforts. The weather had not improved and we agreed that it would not be an enjoyable stroll to the church and certainly not sufficiently pleasant to sit outside the church café and enjoy a coffee and slice of cake. Instead, we cast off, heading for the River Ant and chugged back up Ranworth Dam, turning right onto the Bure at the junction and shortly after, left onto the Ant. I was hopeful that there would be sufficient clearance under the bridge to allow us to pass without dropping the roof and screen due to the wind and was pleased to see 8ft 3ins on the advance marker, just 3 inches more than we needed. There was the usual confusion of craft attempting to moor on the other side, jockeying for space near the shop and water point, but we navigated through the melee without incident and carried on up the river. We passed How Hill and through Irstead before entering Barton Broad. Much to our surprise, after such a grey and cheerless morning, the clouds began to break, allowing the sun to peek through and by the time we reached the other side of the broad, the sun was beaming down, although the breeze continued to blow. We continued up the Ant, bearing left at the Stalham turn before passing Hunsett Mill. I was pleased to see the mill has now been restored, with sails replaced, but I cannot get used to the abomination that the once chocolate box pretty cottage has become. We travelled a couple of hundred yards further before turning and mooring for lunch of toasted ciabatta and pate. We stayed there for a while, the wife doing her cross stitch and me taking some photos, before casting off and retracing our route towards Barton Broad. I saw a flash of iridescent blue flash in front of the boat, but the kingfisher had disappeared before I could grab my camera. Another lost opportunity, but maybe one day I'll get lucky and get a photo of this shy, beautiful bird. The moorings at Irstead were taken and Johny Crowe's staithe was also occupied, so we moored at How Hill and settled down for the evening. The sun was still shining and there was a real prospect of a decent sunset, so dinner was delayed whilst I spent some time photographing the setting sun as it lit the horizon and Turf Fen Mill with a glorious orange glow. I stood outside to watch the sun drop below the horizon. Nature certainly does provide some wonderful sights and satisfied that I had committed some worthy shots to memory card, I returned to the boat. We had dinner on board, before watching TV for a while and retiring to bed at about 22:00, happy that the day that promised so little in the morning, had delivered so much in the end.
  16. MauriceMynah

Tolls

This sentence sums it up really, but I suspect not in the way you might have hoped. There are strong arguments to support the view that those who use the Broads the most should pay the greatest, while there are others who would maintain that all boaters should pay the same irrespective of size or power source of the boat. I won't try to list all the options, but I would imagine there could be half a dozen or so, each having a further half a dozen versions. Each and every one will be called "unfair" by supporters of the others. It would be unreasonable to bounce between some or all of them from year to year so one has to be selected. One has been. It's the one we have. Now for the "representation". This sounds very much like another call for the BA to be an elected body. For reasons stated in the past, this cannot happen, mainly because nobody can actually come up with who the electorate should be, or to put it another way, who does the BA represent? Equally, it might be said that the BA is already an elected body, in as much as it is a government formed quango, and that the government is an elected body, thus it must be representative... well of something even if nobody has any idea of just what! Taking the road fund licence and other forms of tax, nothing is really comparable with anything else. The only things they all have in common is that they're all unfair and everybody pays for things they never use. For an example, see "Boat tolls" . Finally (well on this post anyway) the "Toll from anniversary" concept. I for one see nothing obviously wrong or unfair with that, but maybe the BA does, so maybe there is a good reason why the BA keeps it as it is.
  17. We moored at the Ferry House yesterday afternoon. Someone moored in our spot which we booked weeks ago.We moored along , on the edge of the moorings. Very busy,never seen the pub that busy.This morning it's very misty sadly heading home later.Has been a very good weekend.
  18. click on the link in the new sidebar advert.
  19. My 12 week old new boat was hit in 2008 by a Richardson craft. They were very good throughout even putting us under cover whilst the canopy was repaired.
  20. Yesterday
  21. And a non-running engine??? Will only attract liveaboards in that sort of condition.
  22. Richardsons are probably as capable of repairing your boat as anyone but who actually repairs your boat is down to you & your insurance company.
  23. Yep, same boat but now bit cheaper and with a broker.
  24. The suns out, the moon is reducing in intensity, time to move on, please.
  25. https://www.brightonboatsales.co.uk/boats-for-sale/caribbean-39-cruiser/
  26. and that would help what ....how.... What is your point??
  27. We`re staying in a hotel in Gravesend for the Easter weekend. Went to Brands Hatch today, and round my Brothers for a chinese this evening. We got back here to the hotel half an hour ago, and the Moon was crystal clear, and absolutely enormous, it must be at its nearest part of its orbit. It`s an amazing sight to see.
  28. Makes a change from lads on Herbert Woods or Barnes Brinkcraft. I wonder how long it will be before people say "lads on boats are never a problem"?. Just another example of the fact they ARE. Either way, it does`nt go any way to repairing any damage done to your boat. A couple of years back, we had a couple on one of Silverlines boats reverse full throttle into the bow of Lightning bending the bow roller all out of shape rendering it useless. The couple DID`NT stop, but lucky for us owners, there were 8 eye witnesses who all shouted several times at the couple to stop, one of them being the harbour master (at Beccles yacht station), and when contacted, Silverline were straight forward and held their hands up and paid ALL monies for repairs and replacements. I sincerely hop you have no problems with Richardsons.
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.