• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. F1 drivers rehydrate on most laps, obviously on the straights, it is delivered by pump and has a button usually on the thing they call a steering wheel.
  3. Actually, you can, but with a tube it's surprising what's available for drinking while riding. Racers often had a water pouch inside the back of their leathers with a straw going through the chin gaurd. This was more fore endurance racing rather than the more common racing. Road riders sometimes used to, but was more difficult, you needed a strong suck. If riding with an open faced lid, it would be easier, but not something I would do, or advisable.
  4. Gracie

Knotted

Knot a clue Pops Works for me Grace
  5. it does give everyone the option to air some of the less pressing problems - like odd cuts that need weed clearing / dredging, but are maybe not of the more travelled routes and can be tackled when doing other work in the vicinity.
  6. Poppy

Knotted

Round turn and two half hitches on the bight - the one I always use.
  7. I must say I do love my non particulate filter- non adblue diesel, it runs clean due to the mileages I do daily, but if I need to boot it hard, it does leave the fellow behind in a nice grey black cloud of smoke (its grey black because I use a small percentage of sunflower oil, if I use straight diesel its a blacker black, if I raise the amount of sunflower oil it gets greyer). it does however mean I have to avoid the centre of London, with the congestion charge (£11.50) and the emmissions charge (£12.50) it would be expensive to wander into there. (and probably the same again to park for a few hours). But as you say the bigger particles do settle and clear a lot quicker
  8. Poppy

Knotted

So long as it doesn't jam, which can be a problem especially when mooring at the top of a falling tide ! Check out 'round turn and two half hitches' . Very easy to both tie and untie.
  9. I find a straw in the wine bottle whilst I'm driving helps Grace
  10. Its a consultation document, or evidence gathering exercise, not an announcement of intent!! By the time they get round to it, I shall be dead, and so will my diesel be - probably!!
  11. True , but if you can see the “plumes” then they are without a diesel particulate filter , so much larger particles that don’t stay in the air like the much finer particles can do from modern diesel cars . A good friend of mine who works for a major oil company told me that if the smelly diesels of old were re-introduced then the nox present in major cities would be reduced , but you would see the black kerbs return due to the larger heavier particles staining them .
  12. Today
  13. JennyMorgan

Knotted

It's all in here, folks, read and inwardly digest by next Thursday! https://www.liendoanaulac.org/space/references/training/Ashley_Book_Knots.pdf
  14. Anyway, back to boats, can't compare with the M25 but there is no question that large marine engines do kick out a hefty cloud of unpleasantness and it can and does lay on the water between the reeds on the bank. Unlike roads there is little or not much passing, high speed traffic to disperse it so yes, there is a problem, in my humble opinion.
  15. Hope you have a lovely week!
  16. Bet you don't do that on the bike. :-)
  17. brundallNavy

Knotted

Lots of candidates for Dave’s rope tying challenge.
  18. Booze and coffee?,........ Earl Grey dear chap.
  19. I'm not having that!! You bring the barby, I'll bring the booze and coffee. :-) Edited to add, and the ghetto blaster. … Jay? You coming?
  20. Enjoying reading your tale. I’m always at the helm and hubby sorts the ropes whenever we arrive or depart a mooring. Like you, our communication is pretty good but I do get paranoid about making sure he’s onboard!
  21. Timbo

Knotted

Uncle Albert was very much into knotting, hitching, splicing and pioneering (building structures out of logs and rope such as towers, bridges, death slides). In his last year when he was at the day centre it was a comical sight to see him sat in the 'knitting circle' with the old ladies. While they were busy knitting, dropping and pearling, Uncle Albert was sat splicing rope with his huge, murderous looking rope knife. One of his favourite pastimes while mooring up was tying the boat up with a variety of different lockable slip knots. My favourite of his mooring knots was the 'finger trapper'. He reserved this knot for mooring in places where people tend to play with the mooring warps of boats when they've had a few shandies. Anyone undoing a 'finger trapper' without knowing how to undo it, would get a very painful rap across their fingers from a hidden counterweight up the line and the boat would remain safely secured. I have to admit I don't have any of Uncle Albert's skill with rope but he did teach me rope work and pioneering, much of which I used on a daily basis out in the field and adapted to my career in archaeology. Consequently many of the knots I use will not be instantly recognisable. My round turn and two half hitches confuses the Rangers as I double the rope back on itself before making the knot. I often use a locking highwayman's hitch which really throws some people. My hitches may not be those recommended by the experts but they work for me. They are strong, easily tied and easily undone when needed.
  22. Is it April Fools Day already?
  23. I think a bypass would be better , leave the main river on the right before the chalets coming up river, go behind them and the fish and chip shop. Tunnel through the road bypass, rejoin after the new bridge.
  24. It would be far quicker and one hell of a lot cheaper to simply raise it to a maximum height of 7'6"". That way, it takes it back to how it was originally, and keep it looking the same. A simple case of "sympathetic restoration".
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.