• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. So may as use lat/long or OS ref then.
  3. Today
  4. Hardley Mill may also be available.
  5. You also need a gps fix and phone signal to use it
  6. Oops, I forgot to add Bramerton to my list of electric hook ups
  7. We sure do, although obviously we never use them as we always know where we're going
  8. I'm happy with my Shetland 535 but, when I needed a quote for a new screen I found them imposible to deal with. I got a quote but it was in a text from a mobile. And they wanted over £200 for a piece of perspex. I needed a proper quote on paper because I was claiming the cost back from Cambs Police. I ended up getting a writen quote from Engineering and Design Plastics Ltd in Cambdge. It was under £100. Shetland only did the screen in tinted perspex. I wanted clear and i also wanted Polycarbonate not Perspex. Others have had trouble dealing with Shetland too. The reason it got damaged was that I was moored up in St Ives on a Saturday night.Planning on staying overnight. Around midnight it was getting a bit rowdy, so we decided to moor the boat out in the river. Drop the anchor over and hang off it. About 2.30 am there was an almighty bang on the boat. A police person thought we were adrift so he threw a life belt at the boat damaging the screen. If a boat is adrift it generally goes downstream with the current. We were stationary. On the paperwork it said I was making the claim against the Chief Constable of Cambs! They did pay up. When the sea is like this below, you don't need a tinted screen! Clive.
  9. I plan to be on the northern waters from mid Dec to mid Jan, dates not yet certain. Will anyone else be about?
  10. That could be handy for the 3 Rivers Race..
  11. Beautiful set of pictures there, they made me want to get right back out on the river👍
  12. Additionaly, The northings etc. come up on my boats marine radio display. Clive.
  13. Hmmm. I think I'll stick with 52.06.675N 0.09.845W Or TL25908-- 47677 (OS grid reference). Clive.
  14. Been around for a while now, certainly a good addition to the webcam list. They had one of those ground based advertising flags there all summer, it was a good indication of how strong the wind was. I see it’s finally blown away!! 😄
  15. Sounds like a huge advantage over eberspacher that seem to have a 4 degree tolerance which is quite a big range for something that is supposed to be able to maintain a stable temperature, open source is an interesting twist too as it means it will only get better, downside of that is it can get overly complicated as too many nerds get involved. With ebers a lot of folk say to run flat out and open windows accordingly to avoid coking of the burner, with the chinese ones it's probably cheaper to replace when coked anyway, that said I run my eber to the temp controller letting it idle and it's been fine for the last 4 years.
  16. This one at Acle - sorry if posted before...... https://www.bbcacle.co.uk/webcam/
  17. I can't argue with any of that other than ask how many fire engines or ambulances carry paper maps these days? I deliberately didn't mention the police then because they probably won't have anyone to send anyway! Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  18. I've got mixed feelings about What Three Words. Yes I've got it on my phone and I've used it. But.. it is the property of one organisation. If that ceases to exist, then so does W3W, unless someone else acquires it. Also you can only get it electronically. Flat battery - no three words. We already have grid references and eastings and northings which are open source (to apply tech jargon to pre tech systems). These are freely available on many apps and GPS and, in the case of grid references, can also work from paper maps. Is W3W successful because of great marketing, or because words are better than numbers. I remain firmly on the fence.
  19. Just an update on the Afterburner: Out of the box these heaters run in either temperature mode or Hz mode. Temperature mode means the heater runs flat out until it reaches the target temp and then switches to tickover until the temp drops. Then it's back to flat out again. Hz mode means you run the unit at a set speed. The Afterburner introduces Linear Hz mode, you set the target temp and once reached the pump delivery and fan speed are adjusted to maintain the temp. There are also 14 timers available that you can set. It's nice to come home from work at 07.00 to a nice toasty boat :) I also have a timer set to turn it off when I leave at night in case I forget. There is a very active group on Facebook about developing the firmware further (it's an open source project) run by the inventor and full instructions and firmware are available to anyone wanting to build their own. To be honest a lot of the discussion on the group goes right over my head but they don't seem to mind answering my sometimes stupid questions :) Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  20. ///undulation.woes.twigs Seems appropriate somehow
  21. Nice to see that Broads Beat are promoting What 3 Words. This is a fantastic way of letting others know your location but it does rely on the recipient knowing what the w3w mean. See https://what3words.com and spread the word :) Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  22. I had a Black Hawk and for a short time a Black Prince. Both were very good boats and I used them on the sea out of Poole. I wonder if this boat has been re-engined as my boat had a BMW oil burner fitted and I am pretty sure no other option was available. The last Black Prince I saw recently was moored at Broadsedge and it had a bathing platform bolted on to convert it to outboard power. Except for the headroom, we were young and it was not an issue, I prefered the handling of the Black Hawk with it's 90hp Mercury 2 stroke. It got up on a proper plane in an instant. Not sure that I could afford the fuel bills now running on high octane + the "Quicksilver" lube, a trip from Wareham to Keyhaven would empty 4 X 5 gallon tanks and take a goodbite out of the 5th. We only had the Prince a very short time as Monday the 19th October 1987 ( Black Monday ) occasioned me to liquidate a number of desirable assets so it was only used really for less than one season. It had been our intention to base the boat at Port Leucate but our holiday home there also ended up in our "Sale of the Century".
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.