• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The guy we intend using approached Richardsons and showed them his insurance etc and was told it was not possible , I’ll try and contact Paul when next up and ask him in person . They are ok with Daniel working on boats there
  3. The person who reported it is herself a well respected and highly responsible lady and not one to start or spread rumours. Fred
  4. That’s me n Purdey onboard as of 2115. 3 x Hrs door to door which was a good run. Crack on with battery change in t morning Griff
  5. Have you asked Paul? He might ok it Griff
  6. Hope you have a more peaceful night and a lovely weekend on the southern side.
  7. Gosh Kate. What an adventure! At least you got through safely. Hopefully it will be more calm and more reasonable river levels coming back. I was wondering if you planning to be up north at all next week? Don’t reply here… I’ll send a pm.
  8. Goodness me, what a day! It started off very sedately as, knowing low tide slack was around 15.30, depending on which tables/ranger info were used, we had the morning to use at Acle. A quick check with the yacht station confirmed the windy day with gusts up to 40mph or so, just around low tide. An earlier passage would be less bumpy, but see me running against the tide across Breydon, so I plumped for my original plan of a ‘choppy sea’ but with the tide. After getting rained on in a sharp shower while walking to Acle to buy earplugs for Tony, we moved down to a sunny Stracey Arms for a lunch stop. We set off at 14.15 with an eta at Great Yarmouth of 15.45. I’m pleased to say I was totally spot on with that timing. I was looking forward to showing Tony just how narrow and shallow the channel gets as the tide goes out. By the time I got to Ashtree Farm I was puzzling as to why the water seemed high, I remember saying ‘it must be quite a high low tide’. The quay heading by Ashtree Farm windpump seemed barely visible and we mused whether it was an indication of the increased river levels this winter, as when the heading was built it would have been high enough for a high tide, but we were on low. Carrying on a bit puzzled, I checked Project Troll sometime before Marina Quays and I got the most unsettling shock. Vauxhall Bridge was showing ‘6’8”. What? It was meant to be not long after low tide!!!!! I very hastily rang the yacht station again to ask for advice re: mooring up and after asking where I was, he said I might just get through, though it’d be a tad choppy on Breydon. The instruction was to ring again as I turned the corner to the yacht station and he’d assess the room I’d have. I have no idea what speed I then did down to the yacht station but it was faster than I’ve ever been on Springer’s Retreat😂 The first gauge actually said 6’8” and the second just by the yacht station said a bit less. I’d just about go through Wroxham at what they both said, but that’s not on a fast river with a surface changing by a couple of inches every few seconds with the wind and with a very fast rising water level and me still a few minutes away! The ranger assured me I’d be ok, so we gave each other a thumbs up and I braved it. I opened the sunroof, although I can’t see my roof rails through it, and I must say I got to know the roof of the second bridge rather closely. He was right, just about!!! I rang to thank him once I was through. All that was left was to get across Breydon. The wind had certainly not dropped yet and we rolled our way across. Tony felt a bit sick at one point, the dogs took no notice and I just held onto the wheel, wondering whether I’d break any crockery. Not a trip I’ll repeat in a hurry. It was the getting under the bridges that fazed me more than the crossing, although I’m not really sure it was sensible to have been there. It’s easy to see how an ok decision can easily turn into a not ok decision The ranger told me that the tide had turned nearly two hours earlier than expected and I do think my original timings were fine if the tide had behaved as published. And according to the project troll graphs, low tide this afternoon was just about the same level as high water yesterday. Next time, I’ll keep a better eye on those graphs from Acle downwards. It was a real shock to realise the chance of getting through those bridges was rather small. I had resigned myself to mooring up at GY to be honest and perhaps I should have done. Lesson learned, but we’ve had a good adventure, even if my heart has had a bit of a workout! As soon as we passed Burgh Castle, you’d never have known just how rough it had been on Breydon. We motored on in calm conditions with the aweigh app speed saying 6mph but on only 1100 revs, what I usually use for 4mph on the Ant. The plan of an overnight mooring at Somerleyton changed as I approached St Olaves. Nothing to do with the bridge height this time, I had plenty of room, but it’s a mooring I’ve never stopped at before and I fancied a look round St Olaves priory. Well worth a visit. Follow the concrete path from the moorings to the main road by the bridge. Cross over to the Bell Inn as there’s no path on the side you need. Turn left and walk up as far as Priory Rd, and follow the footpath sign down between the hedge and the fenced field (had alpacas in it) to the site. About a 10 minute walk. It’s free entry by the way and you can take dogs on leads. We would have gone in the Bell on the way back, but stupidly had no money with us. Last job of the night after putting the dogs out was retying the ropes for a bit more leeway.
  9. Today
  10. Thankyou for your replies. I didn't take as criticism, its good to hear people's feedback. I was aware there probably are some, hopefully minor UI bugs. Had quite a few late nights last month getting it so it could be put online. I was wondering about that. I make a few arbitrary decisions like that to get it put together, which probably needed some more knowledge of the 'flow dynamics' of the broads river system. Interesting to know this. Off the top of my head, it's just treating a period of around 15mins before to an hour after the high / low water time as a slack period. Again a decision I just made, as I figured without it, it would just cut straight from flow to ebb which isn't very accurate either. I'll improve this at some point by varying these time ranges. It's never going to be completely accurate as producing something like a river flow model for the broads in JavaScript is a bit beyond my scope at the moment. Yes I think I was relying on zooming in on the map and prioritising the aesthetics more while I was developing. Should be scope to actually have multiple colour schemes as its using a drawn vector graphic rather than any fixed generated images. If you click the place names in the table it pans the map to that location. Again think is a slight bug on narrow view points like, portrait phones when panning to far on points nearer the bottom of the map. These things will go on a changes and features list for the future. I plan to spend more time on the actual broads in the summer months. Do you know which phone and browser this happens on? Haven't seen that so far. Will have to figure out some floating column heads on the feature list. Possibly. Ended up concentrating on the animated map more which course won't come across on print. The 'backend' is kind of over engineered for what it is. The site processes everything in the browser once the page is loaded. So uses barely any data transfer to update as you interact with it. Should work on the slowest connections. I've used this as a project to learn about web software development.
  11. Thanks for the good wishes. Last time out we had Skyway, who is a large lady! It's nice to get up high now and again, but we wanted a change and had booked Clearway for last year, before having to cancel. Thanks to HPC and Hoseasons, it wasn't too painful financially and we're delighted to be able to pick up where we left off. 7 weeks to go!
  12. That's what I read and the presumed new owner commented to that effect on said post
  13. I heard a week or so ago, if true then I'm sure it will be good news.
  14. Bump, only about 30 minutes till the quiz starts. See you in the chat room soon
  15. Hope you have a great time, and that the weather is kind to us. A little less rain would be much appreciated! Clearway looks a lovely boat. A good choice for getting under those pesky bridges!
  16. I’ve seen a post somewhere or other that said the staff have been told. So although not all the t’s have been crossed it sounds like it will happen. Hope so!
  17. Is it Kyle Minogue? Sorry, sorry! No more, promise.
  18. Are we talking Taxi Rank at Ranworth. Sorry I've just messed our reputation. Kindest Regards Marge and Parge
  19. We really hope that you and your Mrs have a wonderful holiday free from any illnesses. Have a great time and let us know all about it. That is the info that doesn't need censorship. Kindest Regards Marge and Parge
  20. I believe that the new owner will impress you.
  21. Agreed , can we avoid spreading rumours as to potential new ownership until such a time that any “deal” is made public by those involved . Thank you
  22. I need to echo this. I hope my comments were taken in the spirit they were intended and no offense or criticism was intended!
  23. Sam, Thank you for creating a very useful web site! I have some minor comments/suggestions: On an android phone, the tall column of place names (Beccles etc.) has a bigger font than all of the others. Again, on a phone: If you select multiple days then it can be difficult to navigate the matrix of tide times because the headings are no longer visible. On the map, it would be easier to see the details (particularly in bright sunlight) if the "flow" and "ebb" colours were more distinct, because they are blue and green on a blue background; for example replace the green with red. I will repeat that these are just comments, not criticisms!
  24. Well, you asked! We'll be collecting Clearway from HPC on 31st May, unfortunately for just a week. We had to skip last due to Mrs NDY's sudden illness, so are now very excited. We'll look you up before heading off. Thanks for your excellent musings, pictures, and food pointers, much valued over here.
  25. Yeah, I did think it was a bit odd. The turn of phrase was very specific, to me it implied that the individual knew less than they were making out.
  26. Agreed, It is best left as confidential until any prospective purchasers wish to announce it publicly.
  27. If you're referring to the one I've seen, I think it could be a very positive outcome. The fact that the info is in the public domain is something I find a bit disconcerting though. The info I saw was announcing that Heads of Terms had been agreed. I wouldn't expect it to be made public at that stage, as it could weaken the hand of either party. It sounds more like someone has leaked info to me.
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.