• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Old age? It was only a few years ago that they stopped writing that as a cause of death.
  3. TheQ

My Day

Traditionally I've always heard it for the first time in a year while out on the water for the 3 Rivers Race, But having been out gardening for several weeks I heard one about 4 weeks ago..
  4. Those who have had cancer, heart disease, and a myriad of other things, that had their operations and treatment cancelled to allow for the hospitals to gear up for covid.
  5. We used to go up on the downs. The Royal Oak at Hooksway was a favourite. When he was in the UK Roy Orbison used to like the pub and would often turn up on a borrowed bike. Other favourites were The Horse and Groom at Singleton below Goodwood and The Crab and Lobster at Siddlesham Quay. Then a tiny pub frequented by the fowler/fisherfolk of Pagham Harbour. It is now a 4* hotel and the harbour a RSPB reserve. The Anchor Bleu was also a firm favourite. I have a picture by Hannah Cole who paints mostly Cornwall and Sussex in her distinctive style of The Anchor Bleu. Judith and I actually had our last pub lunch in there in Sept 2015 having moved on to Sussex for old times sake from The Master Builder at Bucklers Hard and the Southampton Boat Show.
  6. And you would be right ! The figure is here - along with more data. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
  7. Perhaps you have forgotten that four years ago we were being harangued about 'corrupt unelected bureaucrats' from somewhere else ?
  8. Lulu

My Day

I heard a cuckoo when we were moored at How Hill last Saturday
  9. Andy - want positivity so read up on Hugh Pennington and then his statement yesterday and even you may feel a little more cheerful! And I am a nobody but I will guarantee that there have not been 50000 deaths from Covid19 on its own - sadly many would have occurred without it and you will not get away from the fact the nearly 1500 people die every day, many unavoidable but not all. And MB - you come back as I would welcome all outsiders back to Norfolk!!!
  10. We probably saw each other then! For tuition we sailed tan sailed Wayfarers. If it was tuition aboard a customer's boat then it ranged from the Silhouette upwards, an S&S 44 centre-board Yawl being the biggest that I taught aboard. At that time in life I had a BSA Bantam and an Austin A47, a Spitfire was beyond the means of a humble sailing instructor who was actively supporting the Anchor Bleu and otherwise saving every penny towards getting married. We ranged all around that harbour and up onto the Downs on that Bantam, halcyon days that neither of us forgot.
  11. Today
  12. We seem to be inundated with pigeons and collared doves this year and their repetitive constant call from 4.00 am is slowly driving us potty. (Where's Griff with his gun when you need him!!) This has got me wondering whether anyone knows whether our usual cuckoo visitor to Brundall has made it safely this year? Carole
  13. It's also worth remembering that virus transmission is a two way street. London having peaked earlier than the rest of the country now has one of the lower transmission rates. Would the Londoners want to go to Broadland where there is more chance of picking up the virus?
  14. 1. Give it time and it will all settle down. On the local talk sites people are scared. 2. As a mod on a plumbers forum where anything goes and I do mean anything including insults, we keep politics out of it full stop so I agree with you 3. Totally agree.
  15. I think we should vote for doubling the moderators wages (2x0 = 0) as for how we will be accepted once we start heading back, well some of the locals might not like it, while others will welcome the business and trade, i think we will have to accept that we wont be universally welcomed, and will just have to do the best we can not to do anything that will make the locals consider us a threat. if we treat the area as some have treated the seaside, leaving rubbish all over, we will of course be made unwelcome, respect is a two way thing.
  16. Whatever ones political bent the current situation is something no one could have been prepared for , hindsight is a wonderful thing and a very dangerous tool.
  17. At some point, hopefully in the not too distant future, the good people of Broadland are going to have to make a decision. Do they welcome out-of-towners like me for the sake of the local economy, or do we get the cold shoulder as some kind of protest in fear of the virus. That is why it's not either or, it's both and always has been. I, for one, would appreciate guidance on this, to know what to expect. I have always tried to support the local economy wherever I am and nothing previously encountered leads me to think there will be a problem but one or two previous comments make me think some people might have a problem. Incidentally the attempts to talk politics without being seen to be political have been entertaining to say the least. I wouldn't be a moderator on this forum at present for all the proverbial tea in China. Big thanks to them for their efforts. I think the 50,000 excess deaths needs to taken under advisement (And subsequently the 39,000+) if only because because of the number of times the way it is calculated has changed. It may be less, it may well be more. If you are quoting 10,000 unexplained deaths please bear in mind that around here GPs and others have expressed concern at the way casualties from cancer, copd, heart problems etc. have been recorded, or not. Every death is a tragedy but bear in mind that the original projection, which still stands, is that no, or little, action would result in 500,000 deaths. Guys and gals, give the politics a rest. Changing the leaders won't change the advice. I think anyone could make mistakes and I accept it is our right to moan when they do, just change the record, the needle is getting stuck.
  18. Four years or so in politics? C`mon give me a break!
  19. Perhaps you should think back four years or so .....
  20. Now you`ve got well confused, I though you were bemoaning the fact that you didn`t have the opportunity to vote for one man in a postion which has never required a public vote.
  21. thanks pal, going to be a long slog to get through this. I also think many a pub will go under, many will play the system and just come back like nothing has happened without recourse but that is life. cheers! to fighting the good fight!
  22. Wasn`t it Lady T who said If only people knew!
  23. cannot comment on councils overall job but frustrating thing was we only had the scrutiny because of positive press coverage whereas a lot of other venues have done what they wanted and got away with it. we have provided toilet facilities since the council ones are shut and also offered up extra bins for people visiting as the council ones are inadequate.
  24. Yes minister comes to mind. Colin
  25. Because they work 'behind the scenes' and are not demonstrably political !
  26. nope afraid not. the rules state ALL food and drink must be consumed OFF the premises. so that should be stopping every pub from allowing it. People can choose to sit in fields and on land nearby but we are not allowed to provide any seating or facilities on those areas. I have heard all sorts of crazy ideas of leasing and sub letting land and furniture to get around this. Its madness. This way or working isn't ideal but certainly better than nothing.
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app!

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.