• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I'm sorry Griff, but I'll repeat again. Where someone moors and why is surely their business to disclose IF they want to!
  3. Access when stern on looks to be good, as the bathing platform is central, so the raised sides would be helpful at somewhere like Rockland where there tidal rise and fall make access for us a little awkward sometimes. However, where we benefit from the bathing platform extending to both sides, is when moored side on. At most locations on the northern rivers as well as a few on the southern side, it’s easier to step on to it from the bank. As I said, swings and roundabouts - as with all boats, there’s always a compromise somewhere.
  4. Today
  5. https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/24256984.horning-post-office-saved-tidings-newsagents/?ref=eb&nid=2399&block=article_block_a&u=c160d74be8c30ff96c1e228a4a7f5f71&date=180424
  6. One of the things I like about Moonlight Shadow is how the gunnels (or whatever they are called, I mean the outer ‘walkways’) slope down from bow to stern, which does help when the river is particularly low or high.
  7. Yesterday
  8. though I'll not start celebrating until I know they work !!!!!!
  9. Hi Grendel, The first one took me nearly a week to do ...... the 2nd one was done in 6 hours today. Pretty easy when you know how and have all the tools out and available.
  10. Sourcing the individual parts wasn't the easiest, though would almost be impossible without the internet! Searching part numbers, cross referencing them with other websites info etc, I finally managed to find the right parts, and found suppliers to replace the Regulator, Front and Rear Bearings and the Split Ring. I decided that if I was going to do it for one, I might as well order everything to allow me to do the same to the 2nd Alternator. I also found on YouTube that if I was going to do the job 'right' I'd needed some 'Liquid Insulating Rubber' to coat / protect the soldered connections once completed (as the original connections were coated in some sort of rubber). So 3 different suppliers on flee bay gave me the best prices/options for the parts I needed: Front bearing - NTN 6303 LLU C3 17x47x14mm Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing Rear bearing - NTN 6200 LLU C3 10x30x9mm Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing Alternator Slip Ring - For Massey Ferguson Renault Valeo 2104248 2181726 2181727. Regulator - A13N234 873770 VOLVO PENTA ALTERNATOR REGULATOR YV7736 593135 IP736 12/14V What I also learnt was the 'codes/meanings' relating to bearings, and the fact that the bearings I needed were classified as C3 - which means that this bearing has a higher (internal) clearance than normal due to the high tempreatures that the alternator might experience - good to know. Removing the Split Ring was a right pain; which needed pliers, the Dremel and a hammer to get it off, making sure I didn't damage / break the wire connections on both sides of the rotor. Though once the rotor was cleaned up, putting the new one on was easy as long as you were careful to make sure the position was correct before you started tapping it down in place on the spline. Next was soldering the connections back in place and coating the connections with the liquid rubber, before tapping the small bearing on the shaft. Then it was just a case of replacing the front bearing (tapped it in with a small hammer) and putting it all back together, making sure the rectifier was back in place and re-soldered to the 3 wires. Everything went back pretty easily, once it had been cleaned and brushed down. A few more electrical checks were then done (following YouTube guidance) to make sure the Rotor / Spilt Ring was 'isolated' from the casing and everything was connected correctly, then it was degrease the outer casing and spray it with Nanni blue paint to make it look nice. Once this was done, it was time to do exactly the same with the 2nd alternator (as the confidence was good) prior to putting them back on the boat. I'll let you know if they work ok after I put them back on the boat this weekend, and then hopefully they should be good for another 30 years!!!
  11. By coincidence, when I arrived at Barnes last month to board Encore, Belmore TC was moored adjacent. Can you tell from this picture which of the two might be very slightly higher than the other? Talking of high freeboards, for Belmore I think I'd better take a stepladder.
  12. I can remember driving to work, removing the alternator, popping it down the road to the local auto electrical shop for refurbishment, then getting it back at just before 5pm, refitting it to the car and driving home, generally I think the brushes come on the regulator.
  13. With having 3 weeks between our visits to the boat I thought it would be a good idea to take a 'project' home with me to keep me busy until this weekend (when we are back down for the weekend), so off came both alternators before we left so I could strip them down, and if needed, refurb them. They were both working ok, but I'm sure they might have never been touched in 30 years, so well worth a little preventative maintenance. Having never done one of these before, I viewed a few YouTube videos, and then I began stripping one of them down (just in case I messed it up and decided to leave the other one well alone!). The first thing off was the Regulator to check the Brushes, and apparently the minimum recommended length is 5mm. One of mine was 10mm and the other one 5mm, so new brushes were needed. It didn't look easy (or maybe possible?) to just change the brushes without damaging the regulator, so I decided to try and source the regulator (if they weren't too expensive). The next thing was to take off the Rectifiers, which meant unsoldering 3 wires and then I was able to check that they were electrically ok (again after watching a video on YouTube), which explained that the B+, B- & D+ terminals should read between 450-650 mV with a multimeter set on diode - thankfully mine was easily within that range - so all good. After then splitting the alternator apart (which took some persuading with a screwdriver & hammer!), i was able to check the bearings in the front housing and the back of the Rotor. The front (larger) one felt ok, but the smaller one on the back of the rotor wasn't as smooth as it could be, so I decided that new bearings might as well be fitted whilst it was all stripped down. Taking out the front bearing proved to be easy with the extractor kit. Taking the Rear Bearing off was also relatively easy, but the next decision was whether I was going to replace the Split Ring or leave it alone. The truth was, I didn't think it looked too bad, but I'd (hopefully) never be stripping these alternators down like this again, so it would be a shame not to do a 'full' refurb and replace this as well. So again, on to YouTube to see how easy or hard it was, and whether I could source replacement parts. My workshop bench was starting to look a mess, with lots of individual parts - I just needed to remember how it all went back together !!!!! Next was to try and source all the parts for a 30+ year old alternator from the faint numbers that were still visible on the rear bearing cover cap: Valeo 14v 60A A13 N 234 2541451 B3 More to follow ....................
  14. How very dare you.... 😂😂😂 🍺🍺
  15. Our London Rascal always gave great insight into the boats he reviewed and when he did it was humorous, fair an educational especially for those looking to hire a boat. Or (open a can of hot dogs). Kindest Regards Marge and Parge
  16. Norfolk Lady does have a high freeboard, which can make access difficult when moored side on, although we can step onto the bathing platform at the stern from the bank. Mooring stern on, makes access easy on the northern rivers, but at low water on the southern rivers, it can be a challenge. Moonlight has no bathing platform, so it can be a stretch if the river levels are high, but possibly easier if they’re low. Personally, I think it’s a case of swings and roundabouts for access. As for handling of the boat itself, Moonlight has a bow thruster, but we have no girly buttons on NL, which can make her a bit of a handful in a stiff wind. On balance, MS is probably easier to handle overall.
  17. As you all seemed to enjoy the quiz I set the other week I have decided to follow the same format this week. There will be two rounds of 20 General Knowledge Questions with a break between them as before for a glass of something and some headache tablets. Everyone is welcome about 8.30 in the chat room, https://www.nbnchat.com/chat/ Enter your user name but leave the password blank.
  18. If you’re approaching Somerleyton from the New Cut, I’d aim to be around low water, especially if the river levels are high at the time. If, however, you head straight across Breydon and onto the Waveney, you’ll have to get to St Olaves Bridge at low anyway. I believe Belmore has a quoted airdraft of 8ft 10ins, so clearance will be even more restricted than ours. I try to arrive at low, to save any delays waiting for Somerleyton to swing, but they are contactable by phone now, so it is easier than perhaps it used to be.
  19. Hi Mouldy which do you think is the best boat to handle Moonlight Shadow or Norfolk Lady. We struggled with the high free board when handling a Broom Sedan. Kindest Regards Marge and Parge
  20. We watched because after a life long wish to have a boating holiday we finally booked. I thought it best to look for advice and experiences from others. So glad I did, as things like crossing Breydon and mooring were made much easier.
  21. Thanks for writing up, Malcom, you've made me want to be back at Oulton Broad. I'm hiring Belmore TC in September and intending to pass through Somerleyton. I've never had to request the bridge open before - is it worth us being there around low water like you did so we don't have to?
  22. See previous post about 4k video downloader. Might be less irritating.
  23. You also get access to be able to download videos to watch offline. Plus access to YouTube Music. I’ve taken it up and it’s well worth it for us.
  24. Hi Howard, yes and it’s still called The Mermaid.
  25. So you can go premium and pay to not see ads. Radio stations do similar. So there's the providers actually admitting that we don't like adverts then saying "well you can either pay the advertisers or just pay us direct". Isn't that blackmail? I think a lot of these platforms started as free then sold out to the big guys. Unfortunately there isn't currently a decent alternative to Youtube.
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.