• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I have it all summer and you can have it the rest. ;)
  3. Sound advice Alan. I'm personally not keen on the standard syndicate model of weeks/seasons/drawn allocations but I'm sure there would be other options.
  4. I tend to agree, it will be busy! Chances of mooring at the honeypot places like Ranworth, Womack and Horning will be virtually nil I'm afraid. One possibility would be to hop on a train to Wroxham for a visit or hire a cab. Could save the hassle! Good luck whatever you do.
  5. Dug out an old holiday tale I wrote which was 7 days on the southern rivers in case it is of interest.
  6. What they said! With only a week, and hiring on the south, I wouldn’t be desperate to go north, especially at the end of July. My favourite moorings on the south are Langley Dyke, Beccles, Loddon, North Cove, Brundall Church Fen, Reedham and Bramerton Common. Once I started the list it kept growing. So many lovely places on the south and very easy to spend a week there.
  7. You could set up a syndicate of 12 owners each paying £4000.00 which would get 4 weeks allocation and at £4000 per share there would be enough money in the pot to deal with all the running costs for the first year. If anyone wants advice on how syndicates work do not hesitate to contact me or look for advice on www.boatshare.co.uk Regards Alan
  8. SwanR

Swan Royale

Hmmm ... if only setting up a syndicate were possible ... this does look like a great boat!
  9. Totally agree with Alan , stay south, so much to see and do. Much quieter and loads of good moorings on 24 hrs and pubs and yacht stations, you will spoilt for choice.
  10. Hello Frank, To be honest I would stay on the Southern Broads, there is loads to do and plenty of locations to moor overnight with decent pubs all offering good meals. Regards Alan
  11. Back in the day when the lads were small we all went to work on the Tapton Lock on the Chesterfield Canal. We emptied the lock that was half full of mud and grime using a barrow hoist, the water seepage was pumped out until we had an empty lock. We had to replace some bricks but the lock needed pointing we were only allowed to use lime mortar and pointing irons many we made ourselves out of mild steel to a template. It was a great day when the top and bottom gates arrived and were fitted by the Chesterfield Canal Society volunteers, I have a picture somewhere of me and a another volunteer sat on top of the bottom gates planing the gates to fit. After Tappon we moved onto two other locks paving the way of opening the stretch of canal from Chesterfield to Staveley. I can well understand the situation and at times the frustration that the North Walshaw/Dilham Canal Society must be feeling. Regards Alan
  12. Today
  13. TheQ

3 Rivers Race 2019

The wind forecast has changed, it's back to a traditional south westerly 10mph with 22C forecast, suntan cream is required.. That direction makes it easy to sail up the ant to Ludham bridge if you can get to Ant mouth before the tide gets too bad against you. The cameras round the course on the HSC website are all on except Hickling sailing clubs. I'm sure that will be sorted soon.
  14. The wind forecast has now changed to a South westerly about 10mph, if this is correct, the starting boats will go down the left hand bank into the motoring traffic through Horning, as that will be the only place there will be any wind. All we can do is to recommend that unless there is a totally free of boats area on the opposite side, stay on the right hand bank, slow to a near halt, let them go round you, then go forward till you find the next group of sailing boats and do it all again.
  15. The show went well and we were extremely busy until the down pours occurred, it's always a surprise that the public won't go out to an indoor event if it's raining. It was nice to meet Vaughan, though as I was busy throughout the day, there wasn't much time to pull up a sandbag and tell stories. I did some carpentry and polystyrene carving /placing / gluing before the show opened, then cleared the snowstorm before the public arrived. So during the show I then plastered the new hillside, and did some general touching up of paintwork . Much interuppted by talking to the public. My spiel was mostly the history of the layout, then if they were interested, on into methods of baseboard and scenic construction. Some demonstrations of static grass application were carried out. This being the first time being displayed and transported in its current format , some damage occurred. So changes to the transport carriages will be needed, 20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Tiree layout has / will have 3 modules fitted permanently to mobile carriages, that worked well, and three plug in modules clamped between. It was the supports the plug in modules that failed, and also three of six small ( 3 inches wide 3ft long) scenic inserts were damaged when they rolled over in transit, so some sort of holder is required.. The next couple of club evenings will be spent doing the required changes.. A picture of Tiree at the show. The right hand side as you look at it gained a hillside during the show.
  16. Looks very Quiet and Peaceful at Loddon!
  17. Only Mrs Nog's piggy bank!
  18. I hate to put a damper on this, but you may have already answered the question for yourself. At a guess, I doubt if you could fit an A frame for less than £1000. A Broads tabernacle is "hog stepped", which entails structural alterations to your foredeck, deck beams and cabin front which would not be practical and would also affect the sea-going integrity of the boat. You would also need a mast at least 3ft longer than the present one. Using the jib halyard as the purchase does not work either. It needs a purchase, or runner to a winch, from the stem head to the underside of the A frame. Unless such an arrangement was demountable when not in use, it would raise the foot of the jib and may well affect the cut of it. Any standing rigging (shrouds) fixed forward of the mast step would have to be made demountable and the A frame would need need strong supports on the side deck directly abeam of the mast step at the "chain plates", where there may not already be a suitable shroud fitting. One way or the other, if you are thinking of staying on the Broads I would sell the boat and buy another, more suitably designed for inland waters.
  19. Yesterday
  20. If you go to tabernacle the pivot pin is moved up the mast so that the assembly is effectively hinged above its current fixing. Would your current rigging allow that? If you have wires/ropes running up inside the mast they would be affected by the new mounting system. It may be as simple as exiting such rigging further up the mast but, on the other hand, it could lead to a total re engineering of those areas. Is the mast itself physically able to take the new pivot point internally? There would possibly need to be some sort of strengthened area within the actual mast tube to facilitate the bolt etc. Because your roof already holds the existing rig it may well be up to holding the new set up. Any local fabricators ought to be able to make the actual tabernacle using your original and the photo you have included above. I would suggest you make sure any strengthening within the roof moulding was still up to scratch though. Maybe Polly will have some photo's of the set up she talked about above that will help you formulate a plan? Martham Boats certainly have lots of experience of getting boats through 'that bridge' and would be a very good starting point.
  21. dnks34

Swan Royale

Comparing it to any other Alpha 32/35’s ive looked at in the past condition wise it looks like it easily puts them to shame. When you look at some of these ex hireboats which yard they came from really makes a difference in overall appearance and condition.
  22. See you have the £200 balance, do you have a boat to sell?
  23. For us solo hirers, I think Jazz is a good design. It's not so large that it would make it difficult to handle single handed whilst mooring, but still affords the upper deck view which you get with the larger more swish dual steers. I must say, I liked it when I hired it last year and am watching for a special offer on it for late September, when I need to come down for the Goosander AGM weekend.
  24. Hi sorry to ask , been looking on the forum, which is most excellent. Can anyone provide links from previous posts or give advice about traveling south to north the end of July start of August. As I understand it is a very very busy time. Starting broom boat yard. Hope to head to Norwich then perhaps Beccles and or North. Any suggestions. Andrea my wife has never been in the south Broads, it’s her 50 th Birthday. We have hired a broom cadet. .. I have posted earlier and had some good suggestions for places to eat, esp for her birthday.
  25. Very true a bank holiday and half term for the children.
  26. Ah but it depends when you're there. I made the same trip last Wednesday around 6pm (not long before low water). I think I saw one or possibly two boats coming the opposite direction and then between Great Yarmouth and Stracey Arms I was the only boat going anywhere. Today I suspect a little thing called a Bank Holiday came in to play.
  27. Sorry, Howard. If I had the money I would buy the boat :) .... Looks lovely
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.