• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Try getting to the tip if you can't drive there. Ours won't even let you in on foot. Official council advice? "Get a neighbour to drive there" We had a problem with a bin not being emptied. We were told it must have been overloaded so the contents wouldn't come out when it was tipped. Their staff never ever make mistakes so it must be us that were in the wrong. An email to our local councillor worked wonders though.
  3. It sounds to me like you might be a perfect candidate for oil analysis, send a sample away and they will tell you exactly where in the engine any particles come from. That way you will know exactly where you stand.
  4. I could well be wrong but I feel she may well have a teak hull, this of course does not make her unsinkable but reduces the risk of terminal rot as with mahogany.
  5. My non recyclable bin last week was left un-emptied and when I phoned to complain I was told it was because it had builder's rubble in it. Really? I'm no builder but I had picked up three small bits of concrete from the road outside my house, all picked up with one hand, and disposed of in my bin, it seemed to me to be the right and decent thing to do. I explained that to the articulate gentleman who'd taken my phone call but to no avail, I must take it to the local council tip. Our local tip is the absolute pinnacle of appalling customer management & fine if you have a hour or more to sit in a queue so what should I do? I know, fly tip or better still dispose of it in those handy bins at the Yacht Station. I have every sympathy for those of who abuse the present system, the system itself being patently at fault in that it does not cater for the needs of us as human beings, at least to my way of thinking. Granted that we shouldn't abuse the system but there are occasions when that system does not cater for the very people for whom it was created. No excuse, I know, but perhaps understandable.
  6. Today
  7. Some of these people may be like my mother in law. After cooking a chicken for a Sunday meal or something she wood send father in law round to a coop store a short walk away to put the carcass in their bin. ( it was one that gulls etc couldn’t access) but “I’m not having that in my bin, it’ll smell” was her attitude. Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  8. These bags were full of exactly what you would expect from boats, food packaging, cans bottles etc (some were opened at the time). It was almost like someone emptying the bins from a campsite or similar because there was no junk mail or letters.
  9. I saw one of the householders at Reedham using the "boat waste only" bins and got a mouthful of abuse when I pointed out their "mistake".
  10. Was what Smoggy wrote but it went astray & try as I could I could not edit my previous post.
  11. But I wish that they wouldn't! I think that I prefer the non health benefits of the dreaded blue haze to the cursed buffeting of inconsiderate wash!
  12. Why am I not remotely surprised??? The bins reserved for boaters frequently contain garden waste and lawn clippings - typical boating waste!! Plus anything else you can think of!! It still beggars belief that the Councils can still produce figures that suggest that the imposition of charges at Household Waste sites, has no material effect on fly tipping??? Just who do they think they are kidding??
  13. we had something similar at home, we put the recycling bin out, someone threw a black sack in the top, and the bin men refused to empty it, we had to manage our recycling for another fortnight with a bin almost full already, the black sack someone had thoughtlessly dumped in our recycling bin had to go in our normal bin restricting the available space for our own rubbish. fortunately with 4 weeks recycling in the bin there was absolutely no space for anyone to consider dumping anything else in it.
  14. Yes it had markings etc but until proven guilty I dare not post pictures or the reg number... It had a caged in rear and the driver was in high viz. However if legit he was coining in the overtime working at that time of night!
  15. Did the truck have any markings on it to identify it? That would be useful to know. Sounds as if it may be a local company taking advantage of Council bins.
  16. Yes I used Rondonay as my login on NBF until we sold her, if Mike says it was in 2012 then I believe him lol
  17. You may see mine during the next week as we are thinking on going into burnham on crouch for a night or two, look out for a 30DS called Snowbird, I can get down to 8'8" within a couple of minutes by folding my radar arch and vhf's down but I don't find the 30DS the most spacious in the cabin. You do see a blue haze behind many of the sea goers on the broads at river speeds but it generally clears as soon as the throttles are opened properly.
  18. for mechanics I use a firm on the same industrial estate, as most of the companies on the estate use them for their commercial vehicles they are wary at upsetting anyone who works on the estate and do a good job for them (as long as you mention you work on the estate, and exhibit some knowledge). after one MOT where a new suspension arm was required, and I ordered it- next day delivery - then replaced it in my lunch break, then drove straight to their workshop - still wearing overalls over my work clothes, they know that they cannot Bulls**t me and I get good service and reasonable prices from them (as they put it estate pricing for working on the same estate) not the cheapest available MOT's but they dont find extra work that needs doing either.
  19. I am similar to you with regards to so called tradesmen, yes we all like a competitive price but many I have come across over the years can hardly do a professional job. Regards Alan
  20. We will be on the broads soon for two weeks,will look out.Seems be common every where.Close to home people dump rubbish where they see fit.At our bus stop there are letter bins,clearly maked no household rubbish, yet often black bags left there.Sadly some people think rules dont apply to them.
  21. Nice one! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to write up your adventures.
  22. Yesterday
  23. Not my night tonight! Wrong again! It was Ronaldo in t'other place! A good source for humour but sadly departed this world.
  24. I remember the name as well. I suspect it was in t'other place though!
  25. Whereabouts is all this taking place?? Don't need a postcode! Just a general idea where you are?? Sorry, reading back I see down Surrey way.
  26. We are all too aware of the bin crisis currently occuring around the broads however there are still bins to be found on some moorings provided specifically for boaters use. Last week while at Wroxham about 19.30 in the evening we witnessed a council type truck pull up beside the bin enclosure and the driver deposit a large number of black bags into the bins pretty much filling the lot. I made a note of the reg number and intended to fire an email off to the authorities saying bins were hard enough to find when afloat without their staff filling them etc etc. Anyway, a few evenings later and we are moored for the night at Neatishead when around the same time, the same truck arrives and fills both their bins completely. Recognising both the truck and the driver it was out with the camera and we caught it all on film so to speak. Turns out one of the parish councils was desperate to catch whoever had been abusing their facility but they had assumed it was boaters and were looking to possibly remove the bins completely. And that is the reason for this thread. The bins at yacht stations, staithes and moorings tend to be marked 'for boat users only' and are being abused by other people. In some cases those bins could be lost if it continues. Should you see anyone abusing the facilities in such a way, any information you can offer to the parish councils etc would be useful and may just keep these sites open for us boaters. Most sites have the bin providers details on them. Cheers
  27. Hi First step check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge you probably have one fitted with a carpilery pipe to engine, electric ones aren't always accurate, how quickly does oil pressure come to 50lb at 1500 revs does it drop below 15 lb at tick over, never seen white metal specks on dipsticks before condensation yes, metal from bearings drops to bottom of sump and sticks to the glop/mud that is usually there on a old engine.the oil washes any bits from the caps and drops to bottom of sump you then have a screen on oil pickup before it hits the oil pump, then filter then around the engine. as for working on a 1500 bmc they are a doddle, hardest job is heater plugs when sized in head. suggest you ask around for a proper engineer to have a look, it's not unreasonable to pay for this as they have to come out to your mooring.If you can remove the engine and replace it take it to a proper engine refurbisher near where you live or get a exchange one from a reptile firm of rebuilders. John
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.