• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• Forum Shop

If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. And I can attest that Hippersons is one of the best pump outs you can get. Absolutely stellar. Great people to as they helped us when nobody else would. Fine broads folk. Many thanks again from Malanka
  3. You're on Jazz I think, which was an FBF4 based upon the 29' DL2 hull with a different superstructure moulding. There weren't that many built and even less of the FBF6's which were on an extended 35' hull. They were always rather ungainly with a narrower 11' beam and seemed quite top heavy. The broader 8 through to 12 berth models with the front well were far more popular and I think many have ended up as liveaboard houseboats in France. There was even a handful of FBGL4's which, as the name would suggest, were a luxury 4 berth on a 46' hull. My recollection was of a Swiss couple who, as the first hirers of the boat, proceeded to cook a brand new Peugeot 2.5 engine. They believed that the red flashing overheat light was an unusual design feature! They were not overly happy about losing their full damage deposit at the end of the week
  4. These days Mike very probably. M
  5. Please do, I'm aboard one at the moment.
  6. Today
  7. Here's an old yard in its heyday. Royall's yard at Hoveton in the 1960s and again in the 1970s. Royal Tudor is to the right in the first image.
  8. I'm fairly new to the Broads, but I love the history. This thread has lots of great photos of old boats, but its also really fascinating to see a photo of an old hire yard in its heyday. Any one got any more? Loads of yards are now gone although some fleets live on under new owners at their yards.
  9. Great offer guys! The forum would love to have you as a sponsor. Please see the banner ads which get great exposure.
  10. Nice one Simon and Mary, very good of you Erm, any chance of a similar deal on diesel? Griff
  11. thats great, we always pop across for a pumpout, see you soon
  12. The brown canopy boats, both 37 and 42', were the DL4's and DL6's. Those with a white canopy offered a double bed in the saloon and were designated Super 6 or Super 8's. As the builds progressed there were numerous offerings including the 3/5, the 5/6, the Super 5/7 etc. The later DL4's were multi purpose so that you could change the rear cabin from a double to 2 singles. Inevitably customers omitted to add their preference which meant that the arrangement had to be switched on their arrival at the yard! The GL2 which was a 37' with galley in the front cabin came at a much later stage and after the first 29' DL2's were built. I won't get started on the FB's (Flying Bridge) boats built for France just yet
  13. Hi, We (Hippersons Boatyard) spoke to the organiser and would like to offer any wooden boat attending £5 off our normal pumpout prices for this weekend. Its a great event for the town and well organised, we'd like to support it. Thanks, Simon & Mary Sparrow, Hippersons Boatyard, Beccles www.hippersons.co.uk
  14. Thank you all for a wonderfull Spring Meet at Salhouse May 2019. So nice to see you all and be together. We are one lovely community. Thank you Polly for the hard work you do. [emoji16][emoji16] Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  15. much as we change quiz master on a friday by allocating the post to the winner, I think a similar system could be arranged for the meets, so that the quiz master has a break and has a chance to compete in someone elses quiz. this will enable the quiz master of the year to set the questions to any level they wish and enable us to ring the changes.
  16. In my previous post I may have misremembered about the 2 berths (well it is almost 40 years ago). I don't think they were in the fleet as early as 81, weren't they later conversions of some of the 4 berths? If so possibly the different colour schemes were to tell the difference between the 37ft two double berths and the one double and two singles craft. Possibly something similar was used to distinguish between the 6 & 8 berth 42s.
  17. This is a tricky one. It is almost inevitable that someone who regularly sets quizzes will develop a style and a level of difficulty, it is equally as near inevitable, that those who regularly compete in quizzes will do well as they seem to learn how to remember trivia. Consequently those people will be at a considerable advantage. Also, there are people who don't particularly enjoy quizzes but join in because it is a group activity. The objective of any of these group activities is to get people to mingle. Personally, I'm not sure how effective quizzes are in fulfilling that aim. We all know and respect Mike's quiz writing skills and I'm sure everybody hopes that he will not take comments made here as personal criticism, it is the concept of the quiz itself that is under question. Having said that, it is all too easy to question the value of something, but much harder to come up with an acceptable alternative. What we need now, is suggestions for next year. Ideas for mingle making activities. If there is to be another quiz next year, I might perhaps suggest that members send Mike between 1 and 5 questions, Mike to assess a points value and select the questions that he sees as being the most fun and entertaining. Just a thought!
  18. Yesterday
  19. Thanks JA, very good of you once again. We are looking forward to the whole weekend We are also looking forward nearly as much to emptying our wet shed locker of all manner of surplus boaty stuff. It'll probably completely fill up our Fwd Port cabin taking it with us, we need to get rid of it at the boat jumble whilst resisting the temptation to replace it with yet more boaty stuff and taking it back with us! Griff
  20. Oops, missed this bit... lol Beccles Wetland Trust are pleased to announce the Beccles Boat Jumble Sunday August 11th 2019 Beccles Yacht Station to coincide with the 40+ boat Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Show Tim (Beccles Harbour Master) 01502 712225 Free Admission (though there will be a Wetland Trust collection pot out on the day, donations gratefully received)
  21. Is it really that time already? With the 2019 season racing into full swing it has come as quite a shock to realise that our little event is now weeks rather than months away! Yes, plans are all in place and our entry list is full for this years show. I think the most important anouncement is that we have moved the date of the event. The old VWBA had always run their event to coincide with the Beccles Carnival weekend so when I resurected the show I mantained that date. However, with the need for more space as our events grows, everyone who attended last year were given a vote as to whether we stayed as before or moved our event to the preceeding week which offered more space and the chance to enjoy the Beccles Harvest Moon Festival. There was overwhelming support for the earlier date and so this year will see us at Beccles from the 9th to 11th of August. As a by product of our earlier date we have also moved sides at Beccles. We will now be on the Harbour Masters side as well as along the main river front giving us a very desirable 42 moorings, yes 42! More good news is that, because there are no other events within the yacht station that weekend, the 35 moorings on the other side of the marina are available for visiting boats to come and see the event first hand. The yacht station have decided there is no pre booking on those moorings therefore giving everyone a fair chance of being able to just turn up and moor. So whats going on? This year we are starting with an informal gathering in Oulton Broad on Thursday the 8th August. We are expecting around 20 boats in Oulton Broad Yacht Station itself with more mud weighted in the bay or generally spread around as their mood takes them. Thursday evening will be a wine and cheese party at one of our owners pads overlooking the broad (will try not to keep you awake Peter) . Friday the 9th is our cruise to Beccles. Somewhere around 30 woodies will leave Oulton Broad at 12.30 in convoy to Beccles Yacht Station. What a sight! In 2018 we filled the Waveney with beautiful varnish, gleaming chrome, polished brass, scrubbed decks and magnificent examples of boats from most of the finest builders on the broads. Last years cruise was featured in Classic Boat magazine (as some of you will remember) and they liked it so much they are coming back again!! And then 20 odd boats suddenly all arrived at the yacht station at the same time... formation mooring at its best! Saturday the 10th is show day. I say it every year but it is such a priviledge to be able to have a look round some of these craft. Many of the owners open their boats up and you get to appreciate the sheer amount of work that goes into these vessels. Of course its only by talkng to each other that we also get those bits of inside information on hard to do jobs, upgrades, good sources of wood etc as well as that absolute wealth of hands on experience to draw on. Saturday evening is Maxines bring and share evening. Most of the boats prepare a plate of food - everything from curry, chilli, pasta, salads, sausage rolls, you name it - which they bring along and then we all share it. A more enjoyble and varied meal you will not find! Sunday the 11th. Sunday was going to be just a chill day. Some people are off catching tides for the long trip north before work on Monday whereas others will stay till Monday or beyond and just enjoy the place. Anyway, Tim, the Harbour Master, thought that what we needed on Sunday was something to replace the carnival and wondered about a boat jumble... so he is organising one! Yes, details below but there will be a boat jumble on the quayside at the Yacht Station from 10.00. Last year the boat show raised over £300 for our nominated charity which was superb. This year we will be raising money for cancer research. And there you have it. And here's this years entry list... I cant help but drool every time I look at it! Admiral Jack - Broom Boats Lady Helena - Sanderson Zephyr - Broom Boats Dawn Star - Powles Brookwind - WindBoats Broom Robb (sorry, not got her new name yet) Maggie Jane - Martham Boats Water Rail - Herbert Woods Telescombe Judith - Martham Boats Chloe Jane - William Overy Malanka - Broom Boats Broad Ambition - Powles Judith M - Martham Boats Emily B Countess of Light - Herbert Woods Luna Aurora - Broom Boats (this years photographer ship) Royal Tudor - Royalls Fairstar - Broom Boats Chameleon - NBYC Nipper - Moores Panther - Aston Boats Tabitha Rose - Herbert Woods Finale - Porter & Haylet Kingfisher - Herbert Woods Missouri Star- Powles Lady Helena - Herbert woods Phoenix - Bell Boats Mystic Melody - Andrews (Thames) Highlight 5 - Herbert Woods Manxman - Herbert Woods Georgia - Chris Craft Merlin - Alpha Craft Golden Cockerell - Wilson 24 Anglian Queen - Pegg Marine Cornelia - Broom Boats Iverna - Mona's Queen - Herbert Woods Sandpiper - Sandersons Isabel - Powles Jayne - Martham Boats Star Premier - Powles And finally - thanks Ian and Timbo.
  22. The pic was only part of the fleet. There were at least as many in the moorings in the broad behind the sheds. One of the mechanics told me that the 2 berth 37s had a white saloon roof; the 4 berths had a brown roof and a brown trakmark? panel over the rear cabins and the 42ft 6 berths had a brown roof and two trakmark panels so they could tell which was which from a distance. I don't know if it was from some steps up the side of one of the boat sheds or from the bridge,
  23. I look at the meet quiz as a bit of fun. We didn't do very well as we know nowt about snooker and films and next to nowt about at least one of the other topics but for me it is all about being there and the banter. Whether you get questions you can answer or not is just the luck of the draw.
  24. I know 5 , who wants me on their team
  25. I personally think whoever is responsible for this carnage is unlikely to ever learn much respect for other people or property period. They have got very serious issues going on inside their head. No doubt their actions may try to be excused by some event they might have been exposed to at some point in their life/lives but I think it boils down to the fact that some people are just born bad and not worth any time or effort being spent trying to rehabilitate them. I wouldn't waste any time on them other than what it takes to give them a good hiding. Thats the problem nowadays, whats for troublemakers to fear?
  26. do these look like university challenge questions? this is 2 of the topics from saturday CHILDRENS LITERATURE Q1, WHAT IS THE NAME OF WINNIE THE POOH’S DONKEY FRIEND? Q2, WHO IS THE BEAR IN THE JUNGLE BOOK? Q3, WHO WERE ALL THE KING’S HORSES AND MEN UNABLE TO PUT TOGETHER AGAIN? Q4, WHO IS THE DRUID IN THE ASTERIX BOOKS? Q5, WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE LION IN THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE? Q6, WHO HAS A DOG CALLED SNOWY AND IS FRIENDS WITH CAPTAIN HADDOCK? FAMOUS FILMS Q1, PLAYS MR BANKS IN MARY POPPINS AND PETER THORNDYKE IN THE LOVE BUG? Q2,WHO PORTRAYED THE SINGING NUN? Q3, WHAT WAS HERBIES RACING NUMBER? Q4, IN SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT, WHAT DID BANDIT CALL HIS FEMALE COMPANION? Q5, IN THE FILM CONVOY WHAT WAS KRIS KRISTOFFERSON'S C.B HANDLE? Q6, IN THE ITALIAN JOB, NOEL COWARD PLAYED THE MAIN MAN STILL IN PRISON, WHAT WAS HIS NAME?
  27. Lets hope the judge is a model railway enthusiast. I know this won't happen but I'd like to see all their tech,I.e. PlayStation,Xbox, mobile, bedroom tv and laptops sold at auction, with them watching so they see how little they will fetch, and then, after commission of cause, made to hand over the money to the club at one of the meets. These kids lack values and ambition. Everything they have comes ready to use strait from the box once plugged in. No effort required. I was lucky enough to have a father teach me how to tap a thread, cut a tenon and solder a joint when about ten. Later to watch him scratch build a 5" gauge Britania class live steam loco. Sadly, I doubt, the parents of these lower life forms will be able to pass on anything of value and the social worker will say it's because they come from a deprived background. Deprived, my ar5e. Bring back borstal Colin
  1. Load more activity
  • NBN Mobile App

Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

Get it on Google Play

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.